WATCH OUT!!! Here comes perfect Korean girls - get ready for

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: WATCH OUT!!! Here comes perfect Korean girls - get ready for
By Justmee (Justmee) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

WATCH OUT!!! Here comes perfect Korean girls - get ready for some SERIOUS competition

Korean girls who got accepted to Harvard and other Ivy leagues this year. All beautiful and all talented:

Keum Nana
- Miss Korea 2002 (i'm not kidding. I wanna die)
- Got accepted to Harvard and MIT.
- SAT: 1560
- piccy: http://nimg.empas.com/orgImg/is/2004/04/02/pho_20040402232821110000110100-001.JPG

Park Won Hee
- SAT: 1580
- SATII: writing section 800 (AND she never left Korea to study English overseas!!!)
- IQ 150
- mastered Hangul (korean alphabet) by age 6, started learning ENglish since then! AHH!
- father doctor, mother poet.
- 4 years scholarship at UC berkley
- got accepted at all ivy league schools
- piccy: http://nimg.empas.com/orgImg/st/2004/04/19/20040419_20_01.jpg

Chun Hye Rim
- Only daughter of a man who has the second highest position at one of the wealthiest companies in Korea!!!!!
- Got accepted Harvard, Princeton, pensylvinia, WEsley, duke, virginia, george town
- sAT 1600
- fluent english AND chinese (and of course KOrean)
- translated books in BRAILLE (Yes, braille for the blind people!!) for her extra curricular
- piccy:
http://nimg.empas.com/orgImg/yt/2004/04/21/kp1_2040421k0649.jpg

Chang Hanna

- professional chelloist went all around world to play in concerts including berlin, paris, sydney, tokyo, etc.
- have 2 albums already
- applied early action
- wants to study philosophy and music
- good french, english (and of course) korean
- piccy:
http://lady.kyunghyang.com/200102/human_b.htm

For those not familiar with Asian tradition, we have this belief that girls born in the year of tiger (1986) or horse or dragon have a tough life. You might think it's a superstition, but when everyone believes in the same thing, people obviously compete harder to have a better life than others, and maybe this is what's happening here. Watch out! These kids are serious competition and they're gonna get you (and me)

And me?? well i'm just an ordinary Korean gal who will probably get no higher than 1200 for sat. I wanna die.

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

how do you learn about these people?

By Justmee (Justmee) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

Um.. like.. NEWS???

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

UCB doesnt give scholarships to international students

By Hyoseobee (Hyoseobee) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

actually, UCal did give their Regents to Ms. Park.

By Jj111111 (Jj111111) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Chang Hanna is pretty

By Justmee (Justmee) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:49 am: Edit

I know. Isn't she?? she's just gorgeous.

By Justmee (Justmee) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:49 am: Edit

I know. Isn't she?? she's just gorgeous.

By Pennian07 (Pennian07) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:40 am: Edit

Who cares?

By Snuffles (Snuffles) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

"UCB doesnt give scholarships to international students "

She's obviously a special case.

By Luigi (Luigi) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

"WATCH OUT!!! Here comes perfect Korean girls - get ready for some SERIOUS competition"

Justmee, are you an international student considering applying to Harvard? By your statement above, you are inferring that Korean applicants are competing against applicants from the Korean group. In a sense, you may be correct.

If you are a Korean American female applying, you will not really be grouped with international applicants, which is a whole different pool. The international applicants even have a lower admit rate than the American applicants.

18.9% of the acceptances to Harvard College this year were Asian Americans, not including foreign Asians, from a total applicant pool of 19,000 applicants. However, Harvard did not release its figure for the % of applicants who were Asian Americans, which may be higher than 18.9%. Anyway, you are facing stiff enough competition even when placed in the Asian American group, because Harvard and the Ivies generally admit Asian Americans at lower rates than the other groups, although Asian Americans are admitted in absolute numbers at a higher proportion to their % in the American population in the interest of achieving racial and ethnic diversity of the entering class. Asian Americans are overrepresented at Harvard and Harvard would be hard pressed to admit a % higher than 18.9%, no matter what the % of Asian Americans in their applicant pool is. In this sense, you may be correct in your inference, in that the applicant is competing against its own destinated group, but not against the total applicant group. You are selected from your own group and once your group has exceeded the numbers necessary for diversity, you are out of the competition. Asian Americans are only 4% of the total population.

By Joeb (Joeb) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

"- translated books in BRAILLE (Yes, braille for the blind people!!) for her extra curricular"

I can just see her parents going to one of those $20,000 college consultants when she was 9 years old and asking "what can my daughter to make her stand out to Ivies?", then forcing her to do this.

By Transferkid (Transferkid) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I might be slightly retarded, but
I still dont understand the intricate relationship between "pretty" girls and college success, nor can I clearly envision how their acceptance to top school contributes to your personal situation

By Karie (Karie) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

i agree with transferkid. what do all these girls have to do w u? instead of focusing on others, focus on yourself.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Am I the only one who thinks Park Won Hee is prettier than Miss Korea? :D

And yeah, stiff competition from Korean girls =/. You have to especially applaud them, since they are international applicants. Those achievements are great, and I think they'll make American schools better in the big picture.

By Hertish (Hertish) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

man, their achievements ARE TRULY ASTONISHING

"All beautiful and all talented"

Not agree with this part (especially all beautiful part) LOL

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

they prolly "aced" the interview! lol=) the miss korea looks sooooo much like my friend ...but she's chinese...!

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

jesus, chill the hell out. there are other asian, whites, african americans, indians who are better qualified than these ppl are. i advise you to look beyond test scores and superficial qualities. this post irritated me.

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

agreed

By Luigi (Luigi) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

"jesus, chill the hell out. there are other asian, whites, african americans, indians who are better qualified than these ppl are. i advise you to look beyond test scores and superficial qualities. this post irritated me."

The examples that the OP gave with the Korean females admitted to Harvard are not any less qualified than the average student admitted to Harvard, but in fact have much better than average stats of all the students admitted to Harvard College this year, including their accomplishments other than SAT scores. These other accomplishments were internationally recognized. The question really is, "Are international Korean or Korean-American or Asian American applicants to Harvard held to a higher standard in the SAT I and SAT II scoring, class rank, academic achievement, and ECs, on the average, necessary for admission than the rest of the admitted class. There is evidence that these Asians and Asian Americans are held to a higher standard of achievement or the bar is raised for them in order to be admitted to Harvard. Asian Americans have, on the average, a higher composite SAT I score than the average SAT I scores of all the students admitted to Harvard, in addition to their stellar ECs. Hence, the OP states, "WATCH OUT!!! Here comes perfect Korean girls - get ready for some SERIOUS competition....Korean girls who got accepted to Harvard and other Ivy leagues this year. All beautiful and all talented:"

By Sueah85lh (Sueah85lh) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

It seems to me the poster just wanted to share a little gossip with you all and maybe find some people who'd empathize. Can YOU say chill?

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

A good number of us actually met Miss Korea at Prefrosh Weekeend.

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

And the good number of us that didn't is really jealous.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

they are all really ugly...nasty

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page