Appealing Fin Aid Award

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Appealing Fin Aid Award
By Residentevil (Residentevil) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

How do you appeal your aid award??

Do you just send them a letter and a copy of the competing college's award?

And what exactly should you say in it?

Or can you just call?

Thanks a million.

By Vecter (Vecter) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

I think call, but it's probably better to go visit with your parents and make an appt. w/their finaid office

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

If you can, go with your parents and ask them to bring their financial information with them so that they can go over the financial award with the finaid officers. Make an appointment beforehand to be sure to get to the right person.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Same problem here. They were expecting 9K from my parents. I told them that was inadequate. Got a call today that they re-reviewed and lowered it to a little over 4K.

My question: This may still be a bit much to pay. Can I ask them for a smidge more?

(I am paying for EVERYTHING myself and I don't want to end up with 16K in debt upon graduation).

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

No one wants to end up with debt after graduation. Everyone would love to have a completely free ride. However, that's simply not the way that life works.

I think that having to take out a total of $16 k in loans for 4 years of a Harvard education is a bargain. If you don't think that your future is worth it, however, it may be worth it to accept an offer from another college.

You can ask Harvard for more, but you probably are still going to have to take out a loan. You have to figure out exactly how much you are willing to pay for a Harvard education.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

haha I PERSONALLY will have slightly over 100K debt when i leave....

and i still think its worth it....

damn right

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

oh yea - DEF send the competing colleges offer, these schools respond huge to that - trust me

By Residentevil (Residentevil) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Should one just cite how much more the award was?

Or would they like a faxed copy?

By Residentevil (Residentevil) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Bump.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page