Alternate Route to Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Alternate Route to Harvard
By Hyoseobee (Hyoseobee) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:54 am: Edit

I got rejected from Harvard, which has been my dream school for nine years. My rejection won't mean anything except for some kind of statistical information, but to me... it really isn't. Really, it isn't.

Yea, call it obsession, but I have never been this disappointed in my entire life.

As a matter of fact, conservative schools- that is, all the Ivy League schools rejected me this year except for Cornell which waitlisted me.

To condole my parents and myself, I attribute this to my home schooling history.
As an international applicant without citizenship or green card, I was already at a disadvantage. And I assume that without a regular, official GPA record for my junior year, I don't think I could have compared to people who graduated from top high schools all over the world as valedictorians. (I don't have senior year- I'm 17. my junior year has become my last year in pre-college education)

I have thought of transferring, but I don't think it's worth it. Even if I make it in my sophomore year, I know I won't be welcomed to the community, during my college years and even after graduation. I know this because I had a similar experience in high school.

Eventually, I am getting all sorts of crazy ideas. I even thought of getting into a US private high school and create some kind of "record" for my senior year. (The problem is that I have already graduated high school with a GED diploma and have also been accepted to a few universities.)

I know this is highly improbable.. But really, I can't imagine enjoying my life anywhere else more than in a place I have been wanting so bad for so long. I would not have felt this way if I weren't rejected from so many colleges.

By Eediyn (Eediyn) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

"Never meet your 'hero', 'cos 'he' is gonna disappoint you." - anonymous.

By Justmee (Justmee) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Hyoseobee, as a fellow Korean Harvard-wannabe I want to tell you this, don't give up. It must be really hard for you right now, and the sensible thing is to probably give up. But if there's something you really want, then put your life on the line and go for it. It might not be now that you get in, but if you keep on trying, you might get into their graduate school later on. It may involve years of hard work, but when you realise you want something so bad that you're willing to risk it all, then you KNOW that one day you'll get it. But you have to put everything you've got on the line. Good luck!

By Smartass1 (Smartass1) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

Edited. You may have been joking, but that kind of joke or suggestion is not appropriate.
Moderator DoveofPeace

...come on... get over it...You knew it was a long shot when you applied...not to be mean but I mean welcome to the real world...I can summorize everything I have learned in life with just three words it goes on...now snap out of it suck it up and go to a university that whats you part of their community

By Bigblue04 (Bigblue04) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Smartass1, you need to take the first 5 letters off your name because only the last 3 apply. I don't know if you're being well-intentioned but obnoxious or just facetious, but stop.

Hyoseobee, let me first caution you that, like Eediyn mentioned, Harvard is excellent, but its reputation precedes it by far, especially with the Asian population. I don't know the schools that accepted you, but if they're in the top 25, they're probably just as well-endowed, just as comparable academically and extracurricularly, and with just as many intelligent students and prestige in the American job industry. Are you sure that you don't want to go to Harvard just because you've put it on a pedestal that represents your dream? Could it be parental pressure? Could it be just the reputation? I've visited every single Ivy League school numerous times and I'm telling you the honest-to-God truth: if you had placed a bunch of random Harvard students and a bunch of random Cornell students in the same room and let them socialize, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Be sure there is some part of Harvard that you think fits you- not just a general idea that "Harvard's the best" and you want the best. It's better to go to an imperfect college that's perfect for you than a perfect college that is imperfect for you.

Okay, so you've thought about it and you're positive you still want to go. Go to another college, see what college life is like, and see if you still want to transfer. Schools don't discriminate against homeschoolers- I know plenty of Ivy League kids who were homeschooled. But, because you were homeschooled, you need to show them you can be active and happy in a community. Prove it- take a year off, build houses for homeless Mexican orphans, travel (if you have the money), take a post-graduate year at a prep school, dedicate the time to developing your piano/bassoon/sitar skills, get an internship or job, enter a lot of contests, join your church gospel choir!

Because you mentioned you wouldn't be welcomed into the community, I'd really recommend taking the year off and learning to adjust and become involved. All colleges, including Harvard, are communities too, you know. Harvard wants to see what you can add to it. Take heart, Harvard is not the end all of college careers! My cousin recently turned down Harvard in favor of Berkley, because she liked the less cutthroat atmosphere better.

Good luck with your decision.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page