Is being waitlisted basically a rejection???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Is being waitlisted basically a rejection???
By Whoah_Monkey (Whoah_Monkey) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Is being waitlisted basically a polite NO? Sorry, I dont know much, Im only 14, but this site is awsome, and the most interesting thing ever! So please dont tell me to come back in 3 years, like someone already did.

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Honestly, the best advice you're going to get is to go enjoy high school. Those who totally stress about things way ahead of time (even if they do end up going to Harvard) generally won't have as happy and fulfilling life as those who let things come in their time.

P.S. I was admitted to Yale and waitlisted to Harvard, so honestly I think the waitlist just means "you're qualified, if we have space we'll let you in". And I didn't even think about college till the middle of my junior year (at my parents' urging!).

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

I told you to come back in three years because college is the last thing you want to stress about. You're not even in high school yet. High school is not the road you trot to college. It's a time to have some fun while learning new things that interest you, not the adcoms.

Go out and have fun!

Like EvilRobot, I didn't think about where I would apply until spring of junior year.

By Whoah_Monkey (Whoah_Monkey) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

yeah, I know u weren't trying to be mean. it's just interesting to me. i like thinking about the future, because I really wanna get out of the present, it sux! I wanna get out of my house, AWAY! Everything is horrable, everyone's always mad, or tired, or angry! I'm just wondering. Toodles!

By Bigblue04 (Bigblue04) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

When I was younger I hated getting the kid's menu, wearing life vests, holding someone's hand when i crossed the streets, counting off (for attendance), standing in line, basically anything that made me feel patronized.

I would glare at the waiters and insist, "I can't order off the kid's menu. Chicken wings don't agree with my palate."

Now, I seem to have forgotten the annoyance of being told "not to worry about it"- all I can remember is how good it felt to come home and have dinner waiting for me, have my parents read me bedtime stories, watch TV guilt-free, and well, not having to worry about anything.

My point is, there is no perfect age- there are privileges and problems with every age. Ask anyone the perfect age and, unless they're perfectly content with every aspect of their life (a rare find!), they'll probably name another age.

Instead of trying to "get out" of the present, try changing it! Do things you enjoy, like sailing or playing jacks or painting. If you can't do those, learn how you can start, and join something else and meet new people in the meanwhile. If people are too angry or tired for you to take it anymore, absorb yourself in something that doesn't require more people. Socialites are overrated.

I'd rather be accepted by my second-choice school and reflect, "Wow, what a great high school life I had. I'm so excited for what comes next!" than be accepted by my first-choice school and reflect, "Jeez, if it takes that much effort to get into "X" College, I can't handle what comes next!" Even worse, if you have that mentality, you might just get rejected by your first-choice school and STILL think "This sucks. I should've had more fun in high school."

This is not a free excuse to go out, do something illegal, and be a wildchild. I'm just saying- indulge yourself a little. You might like it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page