1550+ increase chances ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: 1550+ increase chances ?
By Kewlkat8 (Kewlkat8) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

sorry if this is an inane question, but i got a 1520 on the march sat--my other sat iis' are 770/770/770/740. ec's and the like aside, should i retake for 1550+ to boost my stats for harvard?

By Daintyponygal (Daintyponygal) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

nah you're golden

i got in with a 1480 750/760/760

By Anothernycdad (Anothernycdad) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

Great score!!

And, unfortunately, it all depends.

How do you rank compared to classmates from your school applying? My sense is that Harvard takes top one or two at most (and if any) from a typical school (bolstered by excellent SATs)- unless recruited or truly national champion in something or from a magnet or private that has a history of multiple admits.

Dainty - were you val or sal?

By Kewlkat8 (Kewlkat8) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

another: i'm a junior now and we havent gotten our ranks yet, and everything's uncertain as of now. but, at best i'll be 1/400, and at worst i'll be 3rd out of 400. but most likely sal.

By Eurostar (Eurostar) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:58 am: Edit

Kewlkat, don't worry about class rank, especially with such a nitpicky detail

Harvard looks at a lot more than that, trust me

By Anothernycdad (Anothernycdad) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

I agree that Harvard looks at much more than that and you are certainly in the running - hoping that you have strong ecs, as well. However, class rank from a typical high school seems to be very important, unless there are other hooks.

Harvard likes to be above it all with an air of mystery, but on the other hand,I don't think Harvard is interested in generating "complaints" (image issues)that might come when lower ranked students with no outstanding distinction get admitted ahead of the tip top academic achievers. (Tho they take the heat on wealthy legacies and certain athletes.)

Does your school have a history of students going to Harvard?

By Bmilder (Bmilder) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Don't worry about it. I got a 1540, and actually retook the SAT because I wanted over 1550. The second time, I got another 1540. I guess it was just my true score. I was admitted to Harvard, along with two other students from my public school. Anything over 1500 gets you in the door, and then it's the ECs, recs, essays, etc. that make or break you.

My school doesn't rank, but I think I'm around 6 of about 520. The probable val was waitlisted.

By Ct04 (Ct04) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

I got a 1530 and got rejected by Harvard. Same 1530, same essays, same app etc got me a wl at Princeton and accepted at Yale and Stanford. Conclusions? Short of being perfect in all things academic and athletic, there is nothing you can do to boost your chances of admission. You can only do well enough to get your name in the lottery. A 1520 is a damn good score; retake it only if you really, truly want to retake it (why you would i don't know, but...). Good luck!

By Daintyponygal (Daintyponygal) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

Anothernycdad -

although my school doesn't rank, i was inducted into the cum laude society as a junior, which means i was in the top 10% of my class. i'm not exactly sure how i compared to that group of students, but i think my GPA placed me either 1st or 2nd in the class.

By Anonymous1989 (Anonymous1989) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

if harvard based admissions on pure numbers...they certainlh would regret it. One of my classmates speaks little english and still managed to pull of a 1580....shows how unreliable these tests can be....

By Tenniscraze (Tenniscraze) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:49 am: Edit

Kewlket, are you a junior hs student now?

By Harvardveritas (Harvardveritas) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

Simply put, if you are below a 1600, you are not Harvard material. Apply to Yale. They accept anybody.

By Kewlkat8 (Kewlkat8) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

tennis-
im a junior in hs

By Ct04 (Ct04) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

And thus speaks Harvard's counter to Brownalum. Sometimes I wonder: do these guys have lives?

By Tenniscraze (Tenniscraze) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:57 am: Edit

Wow if you are a hs junior getting these scores that's amazing!!!

By Kewlkat8 (Kewlkat8) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

hah, definitely not nearly as amazing as most of the people who post on these boards, but thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page