I can't decide between Harvard and Stanford

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: I can't decide between Harvard and Stanford
By Bjr1986 (Bjr1986) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

I'm looking for the best undergraduate experience (academic and social) possible. I've gotten into both Stanford and Harvard, but can't decide where to go. Although I don't want to be in a cutthroat academic atmosphere where nobody parties, I also don't want to go to a school which is too laid back and lacks academic drive. I'm also interested in getting involved in research as an undergraduate; I'm almost definitely going to be a science major. Which school would be better for me and why?

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Harvard harvard harvard

Not cutthroat at all and people definitely party (its not LSU, but its fun)

Email me or IM me at Rourke02 if you want to talk more

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Stanford. I have friends at both schools and those at Stanford are soooo happy. They absolutely love it there. My friends at Harvard describe Harvard as "okay," but why would you want to sacrifice the great college experience that is Stanford?

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Stanford Stanford Stanford!

Trust me, it's awesome.

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

It doesn't matter... they are equally great.
Visit both, go with your gut... try to figure out
which is a better fit for YOU personally...

whatever you do, DO NOT use silly rankings, or try to determine which is better for your future career, or which has more prestige, or any other utterly useless set of statistics...

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

Totally agree with Jab. Visit the campuses. Talk to students. Meet professors. And then make your decision.
After seeing both, I knew straight away that Stanford would be the perfect place for me.

By Researching (Researching) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:05 am: Edit

Stanford for the better undergraduate experience

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Stanford is much more science/engineering heavy than Harvard. (Even though Harvard is beyond excellent in those areas as well.) Considering the high level of grade inflation at Harvard, I would say Stanford is just as acadmically driven as Harvard if not more so. Either way, both are excellent schools and I can't see how you can go wrong. On the one hand you have the best school in the world, and on the other hand you have the best school in the world. You are one lucky guy!

By Amylase (Amylase) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:06 am: Edit

trust me, go to stanford. The undergraduate experience there is just super

By Doozenberg (Doozenberg) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

I'm currently a Stanford senior double-majoring in BioSci and History. I don't know what it's like going to Harvard, but I can tell you one thing as an undergrad on the brink of graduation: I am truly going to miss this place for the incredible experience and the lasting friendships I have formed here. If you're premed, the atmosphere may be stifling at times, but that is the case anywhere. As for research, it's easy to get involved in it as undergrads are encouraged to get as involved as possible. I've been in a lab over at the med school for the past 3 years and it's been rewarding to say the least. If anything, come for the experience alone. This place is something special and you'll have to come here to know what I'm talking about. I had to make the same difficult decision over Harvard four years ago. Regrets? None whatsoever.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page