RATE Transfer Applicant to Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: RATE Transfer Applicant to Harvard
By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

How would you rate this transfer applicant to Harvard? He has the following stats:

1. 83 average (all-honors classes) in high school.
2. 4.0 GPA as a freshman in college.
3. 670 verbal score, 630 math. Applied as history major (94.5 average in history throughout high school).
3. Many extracurriculars, including various work experiences and school activities (mostly in high school, only volunteer work in college).
4. Good essays.
5. Good recommendations, with an additional recommendation from a Harvard student who works at the Admissions office.
4. Asian-American (Minority)

Here's hoping that my friend gets in. What are the chances?

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

bump

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Based on what you've posted, I don't see anything special about him. I am guessing that Harvard would be especially interested in what the student has done in college, but other than getting good grades adn doing some volunteer work (which since it's not elaborated upon, doesn't seem very impressive), there's nothing about the applicant that stands out.

Transferring into Harvard is harder than is getting accepted as a h.s. senior. As always, more than good grades are needed.

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Well, I read his essay and it was well written. Secondly, his extracurriculars seemed off the charts: from cashering, to serving ice cream, to working in the language laboratory, to being an actor and involved in the newspaper for four years. Despite his academic scores, I believe the kid is getting into his own. He had a 4.0 GPA this year, which courses in Sociology, Government, Biology, etc.

Harvard wouldn't accept this kid?

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Also, he's a URM and got a recommendation from a student who works at URM and admissions office. I hope he gets in.

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

bump

By Dinotopia (Dinotopia) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

It seems like you're looking for YES for an answer...

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

Yes, I'm looking for the possibility. Would you say there is one?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

Why ask us for opinions if we don't have all of the information?

Meanwhile, I think that what the student is doing now in college when it comes to ECs will count more than what he did in h.s.

I don't know how much a recommendation from a Harvard student will count. It's not like Harvard is Dartmouth, which requests that applicants submit a recommendation from their friends.

By Icansmile4u (Icansmile4u) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Frankly, very unlikely. The general rule of transfer is that if a person wasn't that school's material at 1st place, he/she won't get in at transfer round as well.
This doesn't mean that all the 1st year rejectees won't make it. There are plenty of Harvard materials who are turned down simply because they are out of luck during the admission process.
With your friend' stats of 600+ SAT in each section and 80s GPA in HS, I seriously doubt that he/she is the H material.

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

I agree. But I wonder if Harvard would take a chance on such a kid. It's interesting. I welcome anyone's thoughts on this.

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

Northstarmom,

According to him, he's been working at the language laboratory, and also did some soup kitchen work throughout his freshman year. He also got accepted to the academic honor society. Frankly, his essays impressed me and his writing skills are superb. Doesn't Harvard have the reputation of not strictly adhering to a grade rubric when it comes to admissions?

By Transferkid (Transferkid) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

So how, by doing such eclectic extracurriculars, will he contribute to harvard?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

There's still nothing about him that sounds extraordinary. Working at a soup kitchen and a language lab, getting accepted to an academic honor society are nice, but not extraordinary.

The fact that his essays impressed you doesn't mean anything to me because I have no clue what your standards are. I do know that I have seen student essays posted on line that other students thought were wonderful, but that I, an adult who has read national scholarship essays thought were dreadful.

In a few weeks, presumably you will know who was right about your friend. The opinion of us folks on an anonymous message board doesn't matter because we won't determine your friend's fate.

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

Northstarmom,

Can I ask you for the kind favor of reading his essay?

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

Please e-mail me at bigunderdog@msn.com, if you would be interested. Thank you for your time and help.

By Monekit (Monekit) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 07:29 am: Edit

"4. Asian-American (Minority)"

I thought Asian-Americans weren't minorities.

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

Virtually no chance. Read my post in the other category. Asians are overrepresented minorities, not underrepresented.

By Transferkid (Transferkid) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Especially at harvard where 1 kid out of 5 is Asian

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page