Val with 1600

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Val with 1600
By Burljay (Burljay) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

Does anyone know of any valedictorians with an SAT score of 1600 that got rejected or waitlisted from Harvard?

By Datadigit1 (Datadigit1) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

I'm sure there were... they probably get tons of applications from people with those qualifications each year and I'm sure many of them get rejected... probably becuase the applicant (like your suggesting with your question) thinks that a 1600 and top class rank are what's really required to get into Harvard and I can tell you that's not what they are looking for... they want well rounded individuals.

By Vecter (Vecter) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

what datadigit1 said, except not "well rounded" (imho at least), but probably people who devoted themselves to one passion and excelled at it

By Shahab (Shahab) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

ehh i doubt it. read a is for admissions, by dartmouth's ex head adcom. you are virtually guaranteed admission unless you are tremendously lacking in other areas (morals, ec's,etc). as michele hernandez says in her book "don't rock the boat, and you will get in"

By Chrisq (Chrisq) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

I am ranked 1st with a 1600, and I got in everywhere I applied (SHY). But I didn't follow Hernandez's "don't rock the boat" advice. In fact, I wrote some fairly 'risky' essays. I think the biggest risk is not taking one; colleges don't want bland essays from someone who obviously has the potential for more.

The top colleges are looking for people who are going to take the initiative once in college and take smart risks in later life. The absolute last thing an adcom wants to see is an academic robot. If you are reading this and trying to decide what to say in your essays when you apply to the 'top' schools, please take my advice and write about something that rocks the boat and is smart at the same time.

I think it's also very, very important to deemphasize the academic components of your record in your essays. These things are already evident in other parts of your application.

By Mnasy1122 (Mnasy1122) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

I know someone at my school with a 1600 and ranked 4/1105 got waitlisted at harvard.. he's also pretty involved and well rounded.. I believe he got waitlisted at columbia too but i'm not positive

By Ivyboy05 (Ivyboy05) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:45 am: Edit

Chrisq, can I ask what you wrote your essay about to make it risky? And who is Michele Hernandez?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page