Who chose Harvard over Yale?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Who chose Harvard over Yale?
By Mk422 (Mk422) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

It seems that here in the Harvard forum most threads are concerned with what's allegedly wrong with Harvard while in the Yale forum all people do is to say how much Harvard sucked and how Yale were the best college to get into. Why not make a little counterpoint: Who in here is going to turn down Yale's offer and matriculating at Harvard instead and why?

By Kelchersian (Kelchersian) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

I've been accepted at both Harvard and Yale, and I've chosen Harvard. I loved Harvard's atmosphere. The campus was exciting and vibrant, and focused very much on studies and activities. I loved the dorms and Harvard's house system. Also, I like Cambridge much more than New Haven. I don't care what the Yale page says about New Haven being on the rise, Cambridge and Bosotn are amazing. One thing that definitely turned me away from Yale was the sense that the students are always trying to put down Harvard or Princeton. I know this sounds like a silly reason not to like them, but their griping about Harvard came up so often, that I grew to not like Yale. I can't stand whiners and people who are always trying to put down others to make themselves look better. Now again, this obviously doesnt apply to all Yalies, and Harvard people aren't perfect either, but I just got that sense at Yale. I based this off my visits to campus, not from reading things on this board.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Ah, yet another CC Harvard troll putting down Yale.

By Tipdrillin4eva (Tipdrillin4eva) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

brownalum accusing someone else of trolling? wow...

he gave legitimate reasons. just because you happen to disagree doesnt mean he is trolling

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I think I'm choosing Harvard over Yale. I feel kinda bad, cuz I know Yale's a great school and all, and they did establish contact with me early on, but at the same time, I love Cambridge and I love Harvard...I'll be absolutely sure in a few weeks.

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

The rivalry between Harvard and Yale amuses me mucho.

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Yale's been much better with personal contact. I've liked every Yalie I've ever met. They offered me a seat in Directed Studies.

I'm going to Harvard.

Yale's great, but let's get the facts straight. Don't boast that Yale is more selective - the applicant pool is self-selecting, and the people I know who applied to Yale were less qualified than those who applied to Harvard. Check out the "where did you get rejected?" thread on the Yale forum. You'll find that a great many of the Yale admits were rejected by Harvard. I know the reverse is true, but not to the same extent. Harvard wins in attracting cross-admits (I've heard of 3 of 4 cross-admits choose Harvard), and it's for a reason: they're both amazing schools, and not as different as one would be led to believe, but I believe Harvard is the superior institution.

Harvard has the academic bona-fides. It's much more socioeconomically diverse than Yale (33% of Harvard parents can fully afford the cost, while 60% of Yale's can). It has access to greater resources - the best faculty, who AREN'T inaccessible as reputed; the biggest library; some of the best clubs (The Crimson trumps the YDN any day of the week), and, more importantly, the best students (refer to earlier).

I liked Harvard's atmosphere more. Harvard was electric - intellectually charged. But I also wanted to be Harvard-ed: I want a school that allows me every opportunity but forces me to access them individually. Harvard isn't for everybody. It isn't known as a warm, cuddly, supportive place, but a place where students can assert their individuality and pursue their interests to the utmost.

Also, Harvard students rarely bash other Ivies. Yale reeks of a lack of confidence with their incessant self-aggrandizement and bashing of Harvard. Trolls like Brownalum take note - this just makes these people look like a bunch of Harvard rejects yelling "sour grapes."

By Bigblue04 (Bigblue04) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Great post ambitiousyokel.

By Kelchersian (Kelchersian) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Don't accuse me of being a Harvard troll. I usually just read the posts on CC and have only posted maybe four or five times ever.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Congrats to all - Look forward to good times this fall!

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Harvard is what you make of it. Many people actually do have a good time.

Best of luck!

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

*APPLAUSE*

By Weinerz (Weinerz) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

harvard students rarely bash other ivies? psh..yeah rite....good joke.

By Asterix (Asterix) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Do you really think most of the Yalie Harvard-type-bashing is serious? Sometimes it really just seems facetious. They both talk about how they're the best, but do Yalies seem to really resent the Harvard students? It's not like the Yale students have much to be jealous of.

Harvard is in a wonderful area, most accomplished student body, and best resources. But are the other Ivys so far behind? Yale, Brown, Penn... all are amazing, but all make fun of the other schools. I don't think it's jealously as much as a continuing joke.

By Multinational (Multinational) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:01 am: Edit

Being an international student and admitted to Harvard, Yale and Princeton, I will definitely decide for Harvard. Even more than in the United States, Harvard's prestige overseas is simply unrivalled. I've lived in Asia and Europe, so at least my statement is true for these two continents. When I told my friends that I was admitted to Yale, they congratulated me, but when I told them I was admitted to Harvard, they went wild with excitement. There is definitely a difference!

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Ambitiousyokel wrote:

"Don't boast that Yale is more selective"

Ambitious yokel then wrote:

"the people I know who applied to Yale were less qualified than those who applied to Harvard."

LOL, if these are the kinds of people you want to spend four years with, by all means go to Harvard.

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

I don't think it matters that much. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton aren't all that different - brilliant kids, top faculty, incredible endowments, legacies of blueblood elitism now tempered with international diversity. My decision among the three became much harder when I started looking at the similarities.

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

Yes, I agree, Yale IS better with personal contact. In fact, I think Harvard could seriously work on it's personal contact. Maybe they don't bc they know they don't need to, bc here I am saying this and I'm probably still going there. Of course, maybe if I didn't live so close to Yale, things would be different.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Brownalum, you do make good points. But please. We all know the merits of Yale by now, why don't you tell us a few positive things about the H-Bomb?

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

hey collegeguy - if you want to find out some real info about these schools, try and get in touch with people who go there (unlike Brownalum who hasnt gone to either and is merely going off his own perceptions and what hes heard)

feel free to email me or IM me at Rourke02

By Mdp308 (Mdp308) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Brownalum, apparently you've graduated from college so that just leaves the question why the hell do you come to this site. You're posts aren't helpful theyre just annoying and youre always getting into arguments with 17 and 18 year old kids. Get a life buddy.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

I come to this site because it is chock full of incredibly biased people like HStudent. I figure I can be a helpful source, as someone who isn't partisan to any particular school (except Brown, which doesn't attract that much interest here), but has spent a tremendous amount of time at all of them.

HStudent, if you think I'm only going on what I've "heard", you're wrong. Others be aware that HStudent is one of the most biased posters around.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Brownalum, I talked to Hstudent online last night, and I didn't notice a bias at all (aside from school pride). He told me plenty of negative things about Harvard while helping me to let go of some of the stereotypes (that I had been close to letting go anyways) and he gave me a lot of good information about Harvard considering that he has spent more time there than you as a Brownalum have(even with your extensive college visits). I found his information to be much more helpful than the numbers and uncorroborated information you spout out about Yale. Just because you didn't attend Yale doesn't mean that you aren't biased/partisan towards it.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Chasgoose, I've been following HStudent's posts. Just take what he tells you with a liberal dose of salt, that's all I'm saying. I hope you enjoy your visits, you have some great schools to choose from.

By Randomthinking (Randomthinking) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

What did he say, chas?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Lots of good stuff, a lot of the same things he says here but in more detail and with more corroboration. If you are accepted at Harvard and have questions I would highly reccomend taking him up on his offer and IMing him.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

"Others be aware that HStudent is one of the most biased posters around."

Others be aware that Brownalum is one of the most biased posters around. And no, that bias is not for his alma mater.

Brownalum, you're a funny guy when you claim that you are unbiased. You do post facts, yes, but they're presented in such a way so that you can use them troll Yale.

I'm glad you enjoyed your chat with Hstudent, Chasgoose. Though I recommend Yale over Harvard, a visit would be best for deciding. Good luck!

By Bigblue04 (Bigblue04) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

These posts are funny. At this point, you already know you're going to one of the best universities in the United States (and the world, even), and have, hopefully, done your preliminary research before applying.

Which is why comparing minor minor minor, sometimes irrelevant statistics is useless now. The college decision isn't supposed to be "fair and unbiased." It's supposed to be about where you want to go. Maybe the fact that you like the plumbing better in one place (or whatever) isn't exactly PC, but who cares? YOU'RE the one going to college. Visit the campuses. Get a sense of the atmosphere. The fact that X College has on average .2% more square feet of dorm space won't make a difference if you don't feel at home there.

Also, most bright, talented, ambitious kids are pretty flexible too. Both H and Y are comparable in their qualifications- it all comes down to personal feelings now. So anyone who argues that factual information is "what matters" at this point, is wrong. Although there are subtle nuances, it's not like if you go to Harvard (over Yale) you're going to constantly think, "Dammit, I WISH I'd gone to Yale"- you'll probably be too busy making new friends, getting involved with activities, and enjoying college life.

Good luck with your decision and remember that either way, you're among a very very privileged few who have the option to choose.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

good post Bigblue

anyway - If i have appeared trollish I apologize - I've really only been trying to counter Brownalums nonsensical posts which Im sure made me look just as bad as him

Anyway - I do encourage people to talk to actual students, visit and decide for themselves - and as always, feel free to email or IM me if you want to talk about H - the good, the bad and the ugly

I've enjoyed talking to a bunch of you so far - let me know if anything else comes up!

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

The visit is very important. I second Hstudent on that. Tours definitely don't cut it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page