Published Author

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Published Author
By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:01 am: Edit

What if you were in the top 25%, had an unweighted 3.7, was in National Honor Society, a middle class black, French Honor Society, had no legacies, a published a novel or two. Would I get in?

By Vecter (Vecter) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

make it top 5% and a LOT more extracurriculars

what sort of novels?

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

A URM with a hook like that (publishing a novel) would give you pretty good chances, I think.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

I'm 15 and in the process of writing a novel about this girl who has depression and her account of it taking over her life. very emotional but she doesn't commit suicide. i'm thinking about publishing it on www.lulu.com, i asked my brother if it would still look good (it's self publishing) and he said it shows dedication.

Little Sample:
Most people would think Iím just a seventeen-year-old aspiring actress attending City Central Academy of New York. Most people would see a girl achieving top marks in all her AP courses. Most people would assume I'm just your typical, over achieving teenager who lives in her wealthy New York City family penthouse with her half-brother, Jason, and her father, Ph. D Phillip Samberg. Well, 'when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me'. You make me appear if as my life is as glamorous as Ally Hilfiger. You make me seem like that girl already on the list for Dartmouth University without even applying. I wish people could see things through my eyes. But that's impossible; humans only have one permanent pair of eyeballs. COPYRIGHT 2004 JESSICA CASIMIR

By Ashleyswimmer (Ashleyswimmer) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 08:00 am: Edit

Jessica,
I've been published, and I don't think it will help me gain admission. But, then again, I've never published a WHOLE BOOK, so that def. might give you a little edge over the competition.
Your sample was good! Have you ever read Prozac Nation, by Elizabeth Wurtzel? I think you would really enjoy it...

All the best,
Ash*

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

A person of any race who has scores of at least 1200, gpa of at least 3.0 would more than average odds of admission if they had a novel that was published. Such an accomplishment would demonstrate an unusual level of talent as well as a passion for a subject.

I also suggest that such a person consider applying to other colleges known for excellence in creative writing: Bard, and one of the Iowa publics comes to mind (I can't remember if it is University of Iowa or Iowa state, but one has one of the country's strongest programs in creative writing).

Publishing on the Internet is nice, and would show a level of commitment. Even better would be if you got your novel formally publshed, which is something that some very talented teens have managed to do.

I recommend that any person interested in creative writing take the time to attend some writers' conferences (which usually are open to people of any background, and teens, too, are welcome), and regularly read the publications "The Writer" and "Writer's Market,." They both have valuable information about how to write excellently and how to get published. It also can help to be in a writer's group. Start your own if there aren't any available in your area.

Taking actions like those to pursue your interest in writing also would help your college applications by further demonstrating your passion about writing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page