Harvard or UPenn Wharton?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Harvard or UPenn Wharton?
By Donjuan (Donjuan) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Simple enough. Harvard or Wharton? I am a business major, but with two top tier schools to choose from, it's a tough decision.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

A kid from our school last year chose Wharton. If you *know* you'll *definitely* be doing business then go with Wharton, in my opinion. But you can't go wrong with either.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

well if you really want the best undergrad business go to Wharton. Harvard doesn't even have undergrad business. Then what you can do is go and get your MBA at Harvard. That's what I plan on doing.

By Tipdrillin4eva (Tipdrillin4eva) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

if u plan on going to business school, why spend 4 years of undergrad doing the same things you will repeat later in b-school? that would get kinda boring...going to harvard would leave you with more options if you decide that business is not for you. also, at harvard you would have more freedom to take classes that actually interest you, as opposed to the strict wharton curriculum in which ur class schedule is all but pre-determined.

all the top-tier firms recruit at both schools, so there isn't any advantage in chosing one over the other in that respect.

bottom line, i say dont pigeonhole urself by going to wharton unless you are absolutely 100% sure that you wanna do business and don't plan on getting an MBA.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Sorry, Bern700, but I think your severe and utter bias towards UPenn is showing through, as it has on many of the other threads in other parts of this board.

As someone who didn't go to either Harvard or Penn, and who actually knows several people at Goldman Sachs on Broad Street in NYC and in the business community in general, I can fairly confidently say that Harvard would be a better preparation than UPenn.

Anyways, Bern700, these stats are for you:

-----

# of Fortune 500 CEOs among undergraduate alumni

1. Yale 43

2. Princeton 32

3. Harvard 25

4. Northwestern 19

5. Dartmouth 15

----

UPenn, including Wharton: 3

Source: Susan Caminiti, "Where the CEOs went to College", Fortune Magazine

By Transferkid (Transferkid) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

And there he goes again...

By Penn3047 (Penn3047) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Brownalum, you seem very bitter towards wharton throughout your posts. Were you not accepted or something?

By Penn3047 (Penn3047) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

"if u plan on going to business school, why spend 4 years of undergrad doing the same things you will repeat later in b-school? that would get kinda boring...going to harvard would leave you with more options if you decide that business is not for you."

Tipdrillin4eva, In defense of the school i will be attending next year, I must say that you are ignoring the benefits of a Wharton undergrad education.
In terms of MBA programs, its worth knowing that Wharton graduates enjoy very high acceptance rates into the same programs you would be looking at after harvard undergrad. (i would venture to say even higher than harvard) Not only that, but Wharton students would be far far ahead of their classmates at b-school. This does not mean that everything is a repeat. To me, this means that Wharton students can gain more out of their mba program because theyve been exposed to it all already. But lets take a step back. Only 40% of Wharton graduates even go for an MBA program after graduating from Wharton. Essentially, this means that 60% feel as though further education would trump their "momentum" following graduation. Also, look at is this way; you dont just go into an MBA program after lets say 4 years at harvard. you go into one after a few years of work experience to make the education relevent. At Wharton, you'll find a much better job placement for those few years than you will find anywhere else. Also, there is a submatriculation option at wharton that would allow juniors at wharton to enter into Wharton's MBA program, allowing a student to go through an undergrad and grad education in only 5 straight years. This all translates into being years ahead, career-wise, than your peers at harvard.

If business is not for you, than harvard or any other fine school would be a better choice than wharton. but dont think that by going to wharton you would be loosing out on a liberal arts education full of the "options" that you all are talking about. The opposite is actually true; at wharton, you get the renowned business education along with an integrated liberal arts curriculum.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

I worked at JPMorgan Chase last summer and had access to their Analyst employee hire lists. Wharton, in a random sample of about 150, had over 25 analysts representing. NYU Stern was also up there in the 20's. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, by contrast, each had less than 5. Sure, there may be less Penn Fortune 500 CEO's, but a lot more Whartonites pass get financial jobs, simply because the companies know that their education was one that was specifically tailored to finance.

If brownalum wants to talk CEO's, then Wharton is behind, but there is no question that Whartonites get recruited at higher rates than do people who went through a liberal-arts education and majored in economics.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

I would definitely choose Wharton.

By Icansmile4u (Icansmile4u) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

I am in a similar situation now between Wharton + College dual degree thing vs. Stanford. I am almost 80% leaning to Wharton program at the moment.

"well if you really want the best undergrad business go to Wharton. Harvard doesn't even have undergrad business. Then what you can do is go and get your MBA at Harvard. That's what I plan on doing"

The entering into MBA program doesn't really work easily and smoothly as Bern700 claims.
If one pursues HYPS route, after 4 years of undergraduate education, he/she needs at least 2 years of working experience at nations' renowned business-related firms to get admitted to MBA program. It is needless to mention that he/she has to go though another cut-throat competition to get admitted again. After successful completion of the program, it would have taken around 8~9 years at minimum to get hold of this top business school's MBA degree. In case of Wharton undergraduate route, the process is rather simple and far easier. People actually end up with their "WHARTON" MBA degree in 5 years. To give a realistic picture of what this is like, imagine yourself entering HS when your peer just graduates. You can't go wrong with Wharton as long as you are clear with your business major intention.

By Tipdrillin4eva (Tipdrillin4eva) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

you do realize that a VERY VERY small number of the students are actually accepted to the 5-year submatriculation MBA program, right? acceptance to wharton undergrad does not guarantee acceptance in to the 5-year program.

By Icansmile4u (Icansmile4u) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

No. Actually, it's alot easier than you think. If you can say this Wharton route is very unlikely, you are way too underestimating the difficulty of typical MBA degree route.

By Tipdrillin4eva (Tipdrillin4eva) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

i think you might be misinformed. this summer i went to a summer program at wharton and specifically asked the Dean how many students annually are accepted to the 5-year program, and he said just a handful (no more than 7).

it takes a lot of connections and some damn good recommendations to become one of the chosen few. dont count on it...

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Wharton....Wharton=Business

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 04:06 am: Edit

icansmile4u, you should do some research before you make ignorant assumptions. I agree with tipdrillin4eva, I talked to the Wharton assistant dean over the summer and I was told that the submatriculation plan is an option for undergrads at Wharton however it is ultra selective. I was told no more than 10 students are accepted per year. Same with the law school submatriculation program, no more than 10-15 are admitted.

icansmile4u, I never claimed that it was easy to get into a prestigious MBA program. All I stated was that I was planning on pursuing an MBA. I never said I would go straight from Wharton to MBA at Harvard. I told the person that they could go to wharton and then in the future go to harvard MBA. Never did I mention that it was going to be a walk in the park.

I actually plan on going to Wharton then working at an I-bank for 3-4 years then going to get an MBA (hopefully the firm I work for will pay for my MBA...that would be sweet). Even if it does take me more time to get my MBA I still plan on getting one.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page