Harvard v. Stanford v. Yale v. Princeton

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Harvard v. Stanford v. Yale v. Princeton
By ConfusedMaestro on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

Hello, sorry for cross posting on different boards, but I'm looking for a complete set of opinions. I was, luckily, accepted to the schools that I wanted to go to (HYPS), and now I don't know which to go to. I visited all of them except for Stanford this summer, and I have to say that Harvard impressed me the most with the energy that was on campus. However, summer campus visitations don't give a sense of the academic nature of the university, so could you please give me your opinion of which is the best university for a biochem major looking to get into med school?

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

Visit Stanford.
Believe me, either you'll be like "WOW! It has to be Stanford!", or "WOW! Nice place! Too laid back for me.... Too slow... Harvard, here I come!".

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

what have you chosen?

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

HYPS
i dont see how any of them could be a bad choice

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

HYPS
i dont see how any of them could be a bad choice

By Researching (Researching) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:03 am: Edit

Definitely Stanford

By Chicagodude (Chicagodude) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

I, myself, was admited to both Harvard and Yale. I am leaning towards Harvard but if anybody has any comments or warnings, please post them.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Congrats Chicgodude - Def come to H!

Email or Im me at Rourke02 if you have any questios

By Alum (Alum) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

First of all, congraultations.

I know quite a bit about all those schools, but will restrict my comments to what I'm actually familiar with. I have degrees from H and S (one undergrad and one grad), and have very significant exposure to the undergrad experience at both of those places. I'll try stick to things that I think are more or less universally accepted as true by people who are actually familiar with both places, but obviously take everything with a grain of salt.

S and H are superb universities. If you think you may be interested in medical school, there will be no difference between them in terms of your education, or in terms of how you "look" to a med school admissions committee.

Both schools are academically tough, but S has a less "cut-throat" atmosphere. Many students at H are extremely nervous and uptight, and the environment there tends to encourage people to feel/behave that way.

Both are associated with great medical schools and hospitals. S's medical school is on the main campus, so it's much more accessible. H's medical school & hospitals are on a completely different campus (>30 minute bus or subway ride from undergrad campus), so it's logistically tougher to do reserach/volunteer work ... although most premeds do it. But the medical opportunities in Boston are wonderful.

H and S both have very broad academic strengths. S is stronger in enginering & technology, whereas H is stronger in some (but not all) humanities. In the Northeast, you will find the occasional person who thinks that S is in Connecticuit (Stamford, CT). Out West, you will find the occasional person who thinks that HYP are past their prime, and runing on fumes from outdated traditions.

S is probably more forward-thinking. This is mostly my opinion, partially based on the fact that they spawned much of the Internet and biotech revolutions. Difficult to tell whether this is a function of the institution, or the the environment (i.e. Silicon Valley). And Boston is starting to have lots of good Internet and biotech stuff too.

In terms of social life: for arts/music, H is a better place. For outdoor activity, S is better by a mile.

-------------------
Bottom line: Congratulations, and college will be what you make of it, regardless of which one you attend. You have great choices.

FWIW, it I had to do it over again between HYPS, I would choose S.

By Julie66 (Julie66) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

harvard or stan, but who can beat calif weather and lifestyle?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page