Is Harvard far from me??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Is Harvard far from me??
By Speedant (Speedant) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

I come from Hong Kong, China. I have been in the US and have spoken English(before, I have never spoken English before) since August 03. I am a junior now. In my country, there were a few opportunities for volunteering. I knew that volunteering is one of the critical factors to be admitted in Ivy League Colleges. Also, when I first came to US, my counsellor messed up my schedule. I was not in any APs, or Honors!? The reason was that she didn't have enough time to put me in those classes. Although I got straight As, I knew the scores are useless. Since I was a new student at my school, I found myself difficult to be committee members or presidents in the clubs and be captains in the sports team(not because I am a non-socail person). I am currently in the soccer team and math club only......I am planning to take the SAT and SAT II subject tests. I knew I could easily get 800 on the math part. Also, I am confident acing SAT II Math IIC and SAT II Physics. I have chosen rigorous classes for my senior year - 3AP classes(since my school only offers 7 APs). On the other hand, I am looking for volunteer work and I found one. What I want to know is that can all my work salvage my situation?

By Speedant (Speedant) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Bump

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

"What I want to know is that can all my work salvage my situation?"

Yes, but there's no guarantee? You're English could be a problem...you need to know enough to pass the TOEFL, I think it is, and write a good essay. You sound math heavy--have you won any awards? Most people are either very well-rounded or have a "wow" somewhere.

"The reason was that she didn't have enough time to put me in those classes. "

I don't like guidance counselors. They are perpetually screwing things up. On the other hand, maybe she thought you couldn't be in honor classes bc you had just learned English.

I would say join more extracurricular activities, but now that you're a junior it almost seems too late. :/ I don't think one can definitively pass judgment though, so I wish you good luck and encourage you not to give up. And of course, not getting in is not the end of the world.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page