What's Bad About Harvard Admissions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: What's Bad About Harvard Admissions
By Thuff30 (Thuff30) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:42 am: Edit

Not to pick on this person but here is an example of how Legacy/Donor potential is so heavily weighted at Harvard.

http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=Short%20Planer

This student is question has mediocre everything but is a Legacy.

By Susieq (Susieq) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

I am fairly certain that they are phony stats.

By Itscool (Itscool) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

Yea it is hard to believe that he got accepted...But everyone knows that back in the 70's that the way to get into Harvard was to be a legacy but I dont know if that holds true today...

By Hoping (Hoping) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

whats bad about harvard admissions is that they dont let any one in!

By Benedwodo (Benedwodo) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

but look at the kid's hebrew score! it's through the roof!

By hollaback on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

his hebrew score doesn't carry the same weight if he's fluent or knows the language, which he probably is- he seems to be jewish.

By Jerseygirl05 (Jerseygirl05) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

There's no communications major at Harvard... unless I missed something?

By Speductr2 (Speductr2) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

I can assure you that being a legacy doesn't carry that much weight. My son was just rejected by H. He is a legacy back 3 generations, 4.0 average ,Eagle scout, decent SAT scores and all. But H happened to be the only rejection he received. Accepted by Cornell,Naval Academy,Rice among others. Waitlisted at Y.

So the myth of the easy admission for legacies falls again.

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

People with SAT scores in the 900s just don't get into Harvard period. And he does not even have impressive ECs. This is ridiculously bogus.

By Benedwodo (Benedwodo) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

i was being facetious about the hebrew score

By Xonx34 (Xonx34) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

I'm a native hebrew speaker and I got an 800. The percentile was something like 86.. ok EVERYONE gets 800s. That hardly seems reason enough to accept someone.

By Benedwodo (Benedwodo) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

dammit facetious = sarcastic. i was being sarcastic about his score being amazing...

By Runningwolf (Runningwolf) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

Harvard has clearly gone off the deep end with political correctness/"diverse" class stuff. If you look at their stats for this year, they are clearly obsessed with letting in poor people, etc. They let in more women than men for the first time in school history by I believe THREE people, and I guarentee they did that on purpose and set out to let in more women than men (I am a man and was rejected, go figure). They have changed their financial aid offer to allow more sub-40k/year or whatever applicants in. Now, that is certainly fine and dandy and it's their right to admit who they want, but I bet the chances of a white male non-legacy non-athlete are close to 0.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

I'm a relatively well-off non-legacy non-athlete Asian male. And I know 2 WASPs with no legacy/athletics who were admitted RD like I was.

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

White male non-legacy non-athlete admitted right here.

By Hoping (Hoping) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

A BREATHING LIVING APPLICANT MALE FEMALE,WHITE.BLACK ETC. THEY ALL HAVE HAVE,WE ALL HAVE 0 CHANCE OF GETTING IN.THATS WHY THEY CALL IT HARVARD!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page