Current Harvard Students, or Harvard Alumni

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Current Harvard Students, or Harvard Alumni
By Roaring20s on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

There's been so much talk about how the people at harvard feel so overwhelmed or how they are unhappy at harvard. If you are at Harvard right now, or you attended it recently, is this feeling true? Or is this something that is at every college, and is just in the media at harvard because harvard is supposed to be no.1?

Thanks a bunch

By Roaring20s on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

bump

By Aterashva (Aterashva) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:07 am: Edit

Thats true:

Are Harvard students happy?

By Jetboy1857 (Jetboy1857) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:52 am: Edit

Harvard has always had a problem with its reputation for being a cold place where too much competition gets in the way of producing good work(for both faculty and students)... and it's something that they are trying really hard to get rid of, but it is by no means gone yet.

Not to say that this never happens at any other school, but I think it is fair to say that it was/is far worse at Harvard and hence the reputation.

I'm sure there are students that don't mind this at all, but at the same time there are a lot that don't and it's something that the school needs to work on (and I believe is currently working on addressing the problems).

By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

I read this article in the Crimson that gave Harvard a lot of negative media, and compared it to Yale where the kids were all allowed to party and relax thus making it a better place to be.

I admit this worried me a lot about H at first, but then a close friend visited just last week and told me that what gave him the greatest impression was not the facilities or the campus (both of which were amazing) but the PEOPLE. He said the ones he met at least were incredibly nice, normal, laid-back, helpful and all went to Harvard worried that they knew less than everyone else. :) And he stayed for over a week in the dorms and ate in the dining halls with actual students.

That has assuaged a lot of my qualms about Harvard; remember a situation is what you make of it and your class has 1600 people...there will inevitably be ones you do and don't like. Don't pass up an opportunity based on heresay, because even if those types of kids exist they are easily avoidable.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

I am a Harvard alum. I never found that students were that competitive about grades. What is true though, is that students tend to be fiercely individualistic so there isn't the huggy-feely rah rah atmosphere that one gets at many other colleges. It's not a place for people whose idea of college is a place where people join hands and sing "Kum ba yah" by a bonfire.

If Harvard students do such a thing, it probably would be part of a self-directed service project as part of Phillips Brooks House, the larges student-run nonprofit agency, and the Harvard students would be holding hands with poor Cambridge children or some similar folks. Such an event wouldn't be part of a dorm ritual.

The culture shock can be difficult, particularly for people from friendly small towns, the laid back West or from places steeped in southern charm. Boston isn't laid back or charming. Harvard epitomizes Boston.

Decades after graduation, I fondly remember the mind-expanding conversations that I had at Harvard. I still have good friends from there. I don't, though, have warm fuzzy memories from there that make me teary eyed.

By Roaring20s on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Thanks all!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page