Financial Aid Offers

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Financial Aid Offers
By Ilovethe80s (Ilovethe80s) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

anybody else get a really really good offer?

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

40k with 3.5k as self-help.

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

What is the 40k consist up of? Loans, grants? Uh...Canadian_Idol...@ skool u said u didn't get into Harvard....

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

yeah that was when i was deferred. they accepted me off teh deferred list.
self-help is loans and work-study
the rest is grants.

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

omg! CONGRATZ!!!! THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY!=)=)=)

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

thx :)

By Ilovethe80s (Ilovethe80s) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

was this substantially less than your efc from fafsa or collegeboard site?

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

i think i had somewhere close to 13k as my efc in one of those calculators.

By Hehver08 on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Gotta love the massive alumni donation network. lol.

By Harvardeez on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

is that 40K for free? as in a grant? or a loan you have to pay back later?

By Iska (Iska) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

$1,300 cheaper than Yale. I told interviewer money was an issue. I'll visit both and then decide. I hear Princeton gives out good money. I'll wait to see if I get in and what their offer is. Then I'll see how to deal.

By Jingaling on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

Actually, I have a friend who chose Penn over Harvard last year when the finaid pulled through. Apparently somewhere buried in Ivy policy is a statement that says if one Ivy offers you something the others have to match it if you bring it to them or something. I heard that from my CAP advisor, but I haven't looked myself. If it's true, then you'll be able to go to where you want to, not where the money puts you. Good luck with that!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:18 am: Edit

Jingeling,
There is not such an Ivy policy. I think there used to be something like that, but it was banned related to unfair business practices. This happened about 4-5 years ago.

Harvard always will reconsider the financial aid package if students or their parents express concerns, particularly if the family's financial situation has changed or if they didn't do a good job at first explaining their financial situation.

There is no guarantee, though, that Harvard will match another institution's offer. I have heard adcoms say that they specifically didn't match offers from some competing schools that had offered better financial packages for reasons that did not seem to be need based. This included situations in which families were carrying huge credit card debt because they were living in luxury. Harvard did not give financial aid to families choosing to fund Jaguars, not college.

Remember, everyone, too, that Harvard offers only need-based aid, so if one got a fabulous merit based offer, but has no documented financial need, Harvard will not give you money.

By mojo on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

40K for free with a 13K efc?

You better make sure u dun need to pay that 40K back...it may seem like u dun....but maybe u do...northstarmom...any ideas?

By jlk on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

canadian idol....ur that william cho guy from churchill aren't u....

By jlk on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

oh and i heard some guy from your school got into yale...dayam...yale was so hard to get into this year...apparently harder than harvard too...

ur school must breed ivy leaguers...

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

jlk...are u from SWC too?=) How do U know canadian?

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

We got 1 yale, 1 harvard, 2 stanford, 1 oxford, 2 cambridge, and 1 princeton....as far as i know so far...=)

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

2 stanford? who's the other stanford? We have 2 yale though...and one cambridge...dunno who the oxford guy is either...i dont think we have one.

yea i didnt get into Yale but two of my close close friends got in instead so I'm very happy about that. It couldnt have worked out better.

P.S. I'm talking about this year from Churchill..maybe you were referring to people from last year?

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

i think there is a girl/or guy who got into oxford this year...at least that's what i've heard so far....=) congrats! Do you know the princeton guy? Mr.K rite?

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

it was cambridge, and yes, the "princeton guy" is my friend.

By Monkeyz (Monkeyz) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

yes it could have worked out better...two people could have got into harvard and we coulda rocked the world candian idol =D ah well..have fun with *ahem* when she comes next year and maybe into your college too.

By Monkeyz (Monkeyz) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

but its ok cuz yale's BETTA!!!!

By Monkeyz (Monkeyz) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

or..if things were betta...canadian idol coulda got rejected by harvard and joined me at yale!!! we'd rule even more!

and ms liu ..its 1 harvard, 2 yale, 1 cambridge/stanford (same guy), and 1 princeton.

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

only?!....j/k=)

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

SAFETY SCHOOL~~~~
lol...

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Man! Harvard is so damned generous! Though my family earns sumthing like $5000 an year(and spend it all), I offered to pay an equivalent amount by selling off all the property i have. But Harvard decided to gimme a full ride. Sumthing like 41,000 (not sure, my mom told me over the phone) in scholarship money and the rest in work study that amounts totally to 45000 (not sure though).

Man, got to thank Harvard's alumni body! :D

By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

Well done Diablo! I'm really happy for you! Yeah, Harvard's very generous with the financial aid... makes the decision a lot easier too!!

By Nifty101 (Nifty101) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

are student contributions standard for everyone?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page