HOW MANY WAITLISTED?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: HOW MANY WAITLISTED?
By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

Does anyone know how many people were waitlisted this year? Can anyone provide the number of students accepted off the waitlist the last several years? Thanks!

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Well, they accepted over 2,000 kids to fill 1,600 places. With their 78% yield rate, things don't look good for the waitlist.

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

to answer the question posed in the topic: way, way too many. waitlisting is their way of telling legacy kids that they don't want them without ending the contributions (like they did to me). Their email is incredibly upbeat, but in reality they have absolutely no intention of ever letting you into their school.

By weirdoo on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Look ppl. 2029 applied. expected 78% enrollment. So 78/100 x 2029 = 1582.62...
Places available is 1650..so 1650 - 1583 = 67 ppl expected to be admit from the waiting list..!!!!!!..
i am waitlisted...as well!
Those of you who got admitted somewhere else...e.g. stanford, yale mit..etc.....please..decline..harvard's offer....help the waitlist!..show mercy..!!!..we are relying on you!

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

alright question. i got into upenn, and i'd like to go there, but i want to stay on the waitlist to try again for harvard. can i send in a deposit to penn and stay on the waitlist, and if i get in still go to harvard? i'm confused about this whole waitlist business. also, should i send updates to harvard to influence their decision? thanks.
ps- im not a legacy so i dont think this is a way of telling legacy kids they dont want them..

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Yeah, space that's the whole point. You lose your deposit for Penn if you accept H off waitlist.

Looking at Alphachimp's profile, I would say it's looking bad for him. About how much has your family given to H (all generations, in ~ today's dollars), if I may ask?

By Invisibleman (Invisibleman) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Yes I was admitted to Stanford as my first choice (I'm making plans to go). But I suppose I shall keep half an eye open for the Harvard phone call in June (IF it happens, then we'll see). So no harm in going on the list, eh?

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Invisibleman, I was WL'ed at Stanford (my top choice) and accepted at Harvard. I'm staying on the Stanford list and seeing what will happen. Good luck to you.

By Hoping (Hoping) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings,but there is no way 67 kids are comming off that waitlist.way to high,more like 15-20 if.

By Papalemming (Papalemming) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

I am going in the waitlist, too. I have no chance, I'm no legacy nor a particularly outstanding student. But well, there's no loss in staying.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I was offered the waitlist, don't think I'll accept, though...It probably won't make a difference.

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

What profile, webhappy2?

Since you press me, though, I'll answer:

My father, who died during my freshman year (thereby greatly increasing my responsibilities at home) was the third generation of Harvard in our family. Before that was my grandfather and his father, who was vice president of the alumni association, chairman of the endowment committee during a major funds drive, and head of the Chicago Alumni Association. We have a letter from Harvard saying that they wish to "acknowledge him in perpetuity". All contributed faithfully through the course of their lives.

All in all, it would be impossible to estimate their contributions, in time, money and talent over the last 108 years.

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

so what are the chances of getting off waitlist you think ? i mean percent wise

By weirdoo on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

How ppl are waitlisted by harvard by the way?

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

Yeah, I remember reading about your insane legacy history. Your waitlist is probably a bad sign... LOL, do you have any relatives applying/attending currently/soon (e.g. would your entire family be receptive to a family-wide stoppage of support to H)?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:29 am: Edit

Below is what Harvard's website says about waitlists in general. Do remember, too, that because the waitlist isn't ranked, when Harvard takes students off the waitlist, it takes students who have the characteristics that adcoms feel are needed to produce a well rounded class.

If you choose to be on the waitlist, see it is a very longshot. Put your main mental emphasis on the college that you choose from the ones that offered you an acceptance.

"Yes. Our wait list includes the strongest applicants whom the Committee was not able to admit but might still wish to consider for admission if spots in the entering class open later. The wait list is not ranked. In some years, we have admitted no one from the wait list; in others, we have admitted more than 200 candidates."

By Maggie9000 (Maggie9000) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

how can the waitlist not be ranked? Is the decision random if a spot opens up? Do they look for a similar person to fill the empty spot?

By Wannabedoc (Wannabedoc) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

they re-reviews all waitlist applications.
i was waitlisted by harvard and admitted by yale. still, harvard was my number one.
now, if you get chosen off the waitlist, do you have to go? is it binding?

By Rageagnstessays (Rageagnstessays) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

just found out i'm on the waitlist as well (found out by snail-mail b/c i didn't ask for the email). i guess it's better than being flat-out rejected--but i don't feel much better. i'll stay on the list...there's nothing else to lose i guess. i didn't get into any of my other reach schools.

By Wannabedoc (Wannabedoc) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

i second weirdoo's question.

HOW MANY OF US ARE THERE?

By Analogboy (Analogboy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

can we call to ask them?

By Wwoloszyn (Wwoloszyn) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

I don't know if this helps, but a Harvard alum that got information from the Houston area said 400 kids applied. 30 got in and 25 were wait-listed. It's a bit under 8% acceptance (which is what I heard) and if Houston's any indication at all, a little over 6% were wait-listed. Doing some quick math, if there are 50 spaces opened up, everyone (including myself) has an about a 3% chance off the wait list if Harvard had 22,000 applicants. I'm sticking on the list, I got into my second favorite, but like you guys, my heart's still set on it. Good Luck!

By Snookumms1 (Snookumms1) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

As for now I'm going to Tufts unless I get off the Harvard waitlist...which would be amazing, but, well, it is a longshot. Good luck to everyone! Random question....they call you if you are accepted off of the waitlist? No letter?

By Rocketandtiger (Rocketandtiger) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

i was waitlisted at harvard with a 1600 and 4.0 as was a friend of mine who had the same credentials
everyone else at our school was rejected
i can't figure it out

By Researching (Researching) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Anyone know the actual number of applicants they waitlisted?

By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

bump...
and for everyone who was waitlisted, how many people are staying on the waiting list and what are you sending in to them? If anyone knows anyone from past years who was waitlisted and then accepted, can you tell us what they did?

By Ulaia (Ulaia) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Yeah, I was actually wondering about the same thing with sending extra stuff in. Would that be a plus or minus in the eyes of the admissions committee?

By Wordsunspoken6 (Wordsunspoken6) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Who knows - it might •••• them off if too many ppl send stuff lol. They probably don't even read it :(

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page