Class of 08: what are you thinking of majoring in?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Class of 08: what are you thinking of majoring in?
By Joeb (Joeb) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

I don't know personally, but I want something in applied math/science. I'm wondering if this means MIT is the right place for me. But I am considering Harvard because my major plans are fuzzy.

By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

Economics.. although mayyybe Mathematics. My plans could change in college, of course! But my post-college plans are relatively settled: Grad school in Economics.

Harvard's Economics Department seems HUGE. Which translates to a plethora of course choices, but then it probably gets very impersonal...

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Harvard would offer a more well-rounded education, if that's a consideration. I want to concentrate History and Lit (or something in that area if I don't get into the concentration) but I like the core curriculum. You'll also be around a group which is more diverse in its academic interests - scientists and mathmeticians, but also poets and philosophers.

By Papalemming (Papalemming) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Had I gotten admitted, I would have majored in Chemistry. I wanted to go to MIT, but alas, I was not admitted, either.

Well, my opinion is irrelevant anyways. :P

By Randomthinking (Randomthinking) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

So which is better, Harvard or Stanford, for biology w/intention of going to a good medical school?

By ally on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

philosophy i think

By Sprite (Sprite) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

engineering sciences - eecs

By Chimmortal (Chimmortal) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

"Harvard's Economics Department seems HUGE. Which translates to a plethora of course choices, but then it probably gets very impersonal..."

Econ is what all the athletes who never go to class major in.:) I believe USAToday had an article about it last November.

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Randomthinking, I have the same major and I would choose Harvard. Or do choose Harvard I guess, as I never really considered MIT. I see MIT as more physical sciences and less personal. Which a doctor has to be. And in general, I just prefer liberal arts.

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

EECS....is it possible to double major in business/econ?

By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Seriously Chimmortal? Yeah I heard the hard sciences are by far the most difficult majors. However, there's no way I'm doing that. I hear economics and government are pretty easy, but those ARE the things I'm interested in, so eh.

We have to decide in the first year don't we? But then we can change? Gah, I hope H has some good advising. :)

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

If I go I will "concentrate" in History and Literature.

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

CONCENTRATION!

CONCENTRATIONNNNN!

btw, what are harvard students called? (as opposed to "Yalies")

By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

"Econ is what all the athletes who never go to class major in."

Hey I wouldn't mind that.. particularly since grades are scaled on a curve (they are, right?). :p Plus I won't face all that much competition vying for professors' time.. it's still gonna be tough though.

I'm not too clear about the accessibility of profs... need to talk to some Economics "concentrators"!

ElDiablo: Harvard doesn't have a business major.. and no strictly business courses. You can cross-register for accounting/business courses at MIT though.

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:16 pm: Edit

yeah, what are harvard students called? harvardites? harvies?:)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page