Rejected by all, do I have any hope left?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Rejected by all, do I have any hope left?
By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

hello,
i've been rejected by MIT, Hampshire College, and Connecticut. Maybe Im a disgusting student who is terribly boring in essays. Now the prospects of a college education are bleaker than ever. I'm asn int'l who applied for finaid and I am a muslim. Maybe the former was a factor in my rejection blues. My hope now lies in the Ivy leagues (fat chance huh? if im getting rejected by less selective schools).

I cant apply to local universities bcoz I didnt do the local syllabus. I cant go to the UK coz I cant afford it (already accepted by all I applied to)

you guys are lucky. U can at least chose from a number of universities that have admitted you. Me, i dunno if Im goin to university.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Last year i was in the exact same situation.

don't give up, be a super-man/woman. hooah

and we still have harvard buddie

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Thats what worries me. Its come to the point where Harvard (and Upenn) is my last hope for a college education (I cant beleive im saying that).

Maybe I'm just messed in the head to have even thought I was good enough for these top US universities. Maybe I should have tried other, less selective universities. After all, I got rejected by Hampshire and Connecticut College.

Oh yeah, thanx :) amylase for the encouraging note.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

You are international right? If you are asking for aid, that means that you still might have a chance at Harvard. The schools that rejected you do not have enough money (yes even MIT) to be need-blind for internationals, so the fact that you requested aid could factor negatively into your decision at those places. Harvard's ginormous endowment allows for it to be need-blind for internationals and so you won't have that problem with your application there.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 03:31 am: Edit

Well, there's always next year, if things don't work out. There are plenty of ways to spend a year.

By Upandover (Upandover) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:08 am: Edit

You should have really applied to more.. like Oberlin ( I missed the deadline) and others that gives international students lotsa money...

Especially if you need financial aid like me. I was in the same situation like you, and I was really worried if I got rejected from all 11 colleges I have applied for (luckily that didn't happen!)

Now is the time to start searching on colleges whose closing date is after April. Also, you could apply to the University of Alberta, Canada. It's not bad school, and it's cheap, about $ 17500 Canadian a year. That was my backup if I got rejected by all.

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:30 am: Edit

the thing is, im already in a gap year. I took an year off after I applied to the UK and couldnt afford cambridge (after a 7000-0dd bursary they gave me) because my father is broke and the Sri lankan economy is going down the drain with 3 elections in the last few years and a civil war in the country.

But thanx, mebbe i should try Alberta...got to do sum research into that and Indian institute of technology..might be able to afford them...

Upandover, where did you finally go to, if u dont mind my asking? thanx all, I'm just praying for a miracle now

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:38 am: Edit

El diablo,

i got my first acceptance, from U chicago. You should be getting yours soon. Hope both of us could make it to Harvard

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:23 am: Edit

wow, at least ur problems are suddenly over..you got in somewhere! congrats.

i cant help feel a bit jealous of u, but im still happy for u.

sigh.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:11 am: Edit

Let me analyse your situation for ya.

You are rejected from MIT, but don't sweat it. I got rejected too. MIT is hell, sucks doesn't matter

as for Hampshire College, and Connecticut, your stats and credentials are simply too good for them. Somehow they know you are applying to them as safety. Don't sweat it either.

Cheer up El Diablo, you are a good person, and that counts. Hope things will work out for you.

I really wish both of us could get in Harvard.

See you at Harvard

By Legolas (Legolas) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:20 am: Edit

El_Diablo... sad to hear about your situation.. pretty much the same here. I' ve been accepted to places I can't afford. Cool down.. and think practically. There is always likelihood of an Ivy admit for you.. but I still think you should search for some colleges with a Rolling Admissions policy. Drexel and Marquette come to mind, but there are definitely more. If nothing, at least th searching would keep your mind off the anticipation and anxiety. I'll start doing that once I get all my rejections. Life's tough, but we all have to cope with it.. don't let your hopes down, and do something about the situation at hand. good luck.. have faith in God.

By Upandover (Upandover) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:36 am: Edit

El Diablo,

YOU GOT ACCEPTED TO CAMBRDIGE? Wow. That's great. I feel so sorry for you though. Did you apply for a deferral? Cos you should write in to companies, asking whether they will sponsor you. I dunno what are you doing as your major, but (if!) I had gotten accepted, which is not cos I was pooled then rejected, I was planning to write to Shell, ICI and other major companies.

and your other question, erm, I am still waiting for other (hopefully!) acceptances to roll in..

Australia is cheap but flooded with Asians. It's not BAD or anything but I don't want to go to another mini-Malaysia (there's where I am from). You could always try there.

I dunno bout Connecticut, but Hampshire's pool for internationals who need aid has quite a lot of competition.

And there's always... Harvard.

Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Cos if you are <18, you could always do A Levels again (different subjects!) to while away another gap year.

As legolas says, Drexel. I think Marquette does not offer substantial aid?

By Upandover (Upandover) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:40 am: Edit

And last last resort: Take loans. Man, you got Cambridge! My parents were willing to allow me to take huge loans if I had gotten in there. But not the other univs though.

If you were wondering how I know so much, my parents really cannot afford anywhere more exp then Aus, and I don't want to got there and hence, I had to find a lot of alternative sources for money =)

By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Hisham, I feel so sorry for you... but like legolas said, have faith in God. I've just been rejected by Chicago, the one place I'd been crazy about going to in the US (I actually memorised a sentence on the cover of the viewbook and told my friends in school. Talk about obsessed, huh?). And Chicago's easier to get in to than the Ivies (I did apply for aid though). So I'm pretty nervous myself, and I'm probably not the best person to give out advice... but don't get too dispirited. Harvard or UPenn just might be the place for you!

But most importantly, apply to Canada, FAST! It isn't all that expensive (both tution and living), and there are some great unis that are still accepting applications (check out unis in Ontario, search for OUAC on google). Plus, I'm sure that if you got accepted by Cambridge, you should definitely be eligible for any scholarships these unis might offer (I got pooled and then rejected by Cambridge... I'm not sure why this is important).

Do hurry and check Canadian unis out though, because I believe a few have an April 1 deadline. Check out Australia too, although I don't know how they are with aid.

Good luck, and let us know how things transpire!

By Manchesterman (Manchesterman) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

el diablo - try some canadian schools - u of toronto is a great engineering school (i'm guessing you like engineering if you applied to mit?) also there are still some us schools that take applications - for example illinois institute of technology - plus it has great initials IIT - like that other place...

By Imisstheeastcst (Imisstheeastcst) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Mc Gill!

By Upandover (Upandover) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:58 am: Edit

alberta is much cheaper! mcgill's deadline is over.

By Nervous (Nervous) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

I agree with Upandover. Alberta is an awesome university, and Edmonton is beautiful. I lived there for four years while my dad did his doctoral work at Alberta. And nobody should feel too bad about being rejected. Sure, it's an ego-deflater, but when the acceptances start rolling in, it's a whole different ballgame.

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

hey guys, happy days are here to stay. I never meant to show off I got accepted to places on this board (especially since I was humbled to my knees by the initial rejections and realized its all God's greater plan). But you guys were so supportive, and I hope and wish that everyone gets in to where you wanted. and remember! you need nething, dont hestitate to pop me a email too. THANX!

I got rejected (as you know) by:
Hampshire College.
Connecticut College.
MIT (sigh!)

I got waitlisted by: (btw, what is a waitlist?)
Macalester College.
Amherst College.
Brown University.

I got ACCEPTED (by Divine Miracle - Oh I thank you God!):
HARVARD (eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!!! however?)
PENN Jerome Fisher M&T! (MA GAWD!!!! ridiculous! how did a nutter like me make it??? Wharton! wow!
and Bates College (a superb college. I shall write and thank them and tell them that if I dont make it to Bates, I shall always remain a Batesie in spirit)

SO WHAT SHOULD I GO FOR? HARVARD OR JEROME FISHER? i must think now, must use whole of the the 77 IQ points I have to make a good decision.(btw, im an average joe, no fancy 1600's and stuff)

Please advise.

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

impressive Diablo

By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Congrats! I got accepted by Harvard too!

Now the wait for the financial aid decision before I can really celebrate!

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

harvard offers very generous financial aid...i dont think you should worry too much :)

By Amylase (Amylase) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

Congrats El Diablo!

now you have nothing to worry.

But the sad fact is

I got WAITLISTED by HARVARD!!!!!!!!!

oh my dear fella, don't think we can both go to harvard. sigh

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:27 am: Edit

I feel for you Amylase. Dont give up, I'll bet you too will get to come to Harvard. Just stay strong and know it: We going to harvard, ok?

By Bullseye11 (Bullseye11) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Dammit you guys...gettin' into harvard and all. That's all I got left...get rejected from Brown, Yale, MIT, Caltech, U chicago, NU and all. Waitlisted at WUSTL. Gettin' into Harvard would be a dream come true. I wish I was goin' to harvard like you guys. Congrats, btw you guys.

I'm praying to the Dios that I get into harvard.

By Alice on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

EL Diablo,
see you there.
(I'm the one that emailed you)
Alice

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:37 am: Edit

would u go for harvard or Jerome Fisher?

By Upandover (Upandover) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:14 am: Edit

Hei, conGRATS!! You deserved it.

By Tenniscraze (Tenniscraze) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:26 am: Edit

Wow El Diablo, you're a lucky man :) congrats... what's your stats anyway?

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

im just ur average joe, seriously, and my "quandery" is a divine miracle (funny comin from a dude who calls himself diablo, huh?).

I'm not too sure what to go for :S. Harvard is harvard, but I'm leaning for engine (which isnt their strongpoint, relatively).

I think the M&T thingy rocks, but no one here shares my opinion. Everyone wants me to go for Harvard :s.

The thing is, I have nothing to go for except numbers and rankings and prestige as we hear it in Sri Lanka. I cannot also go for M&T Days or make campus visits like u lucky ppl. Any advice is much appreciated

gracias

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Jerome Fisher!
I know Harvard is AWESOME, but Wharton is unbelievable! Pair that with the School of Engineering and it really is impressive. 2 Excellent Degrees from great schools.

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

really? but its also unbeleivable hard, init? like 48 courses for M&T?...i think i'll let finaid decide...thanx man

By Gagner (Gagner) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

I'm so happy for you El Diablo. I didn't apply to Harvard (am going to YALE!!!!!!!) but I'm so frickin' happy you got in. You totally deserve it.

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

hehehe, thanx dude, means a lot to me (serious)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page