Receiving Regular Decisions via E-mail

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Receiving Regular Decisions via E-mail
By Res218 (Res218) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Has anyone tried to do the test to see if your e-mail account is working with Harvard's? You send TEST as the subject header to college@fas.harvard.edu and you're supposed to get an automated response. I've tried two different AOL e-mail addresses (I registered a new one with Harvard when the first one didn't work) and never gotten a response. Now I'm trying a Yahoo account but anyone else having the same problem?

By Monkeyz (Monkeyz) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

nope

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

I tested it with their automated system. I received a reply the next day, but I damn near had a heart attack when I received it. The first thin I read was the name of the sender, and so my first reaction was, "Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!"

By Eccentricity (Eccentricity) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

that's hella funny...

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

Does the Harvard e-mail indicate the decision in the subject line by stating something like "congratulations" or "sorry" ? The question might seem insignificant, but I keep thinking about the moment I will open my inbox on judgement day. I just want to know what to expect.

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

nah.. the subject line is "admission decision"

By Okiew5 (Okiew5) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:58 am: Edit

Hella must be used only on the West Coast, never heard anyone say it here in the East.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

hella is used in every sentence on the west coast...its crazy

By Xonx34 (Xonx34) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

yeah its hella crazy

By Eaglescout (Eaglescout) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

I've heard it on the East coast. You must be hella bad out of the loop, Okiew5.

By Okiew5 (Okiew5) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Dude im from Boston, and no one says hella, and if they do say it, they arent from Boston. Here we say wicked, not hella.

By Wickedsmaht (Wickedsmaht) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Haha, right on

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

one of my best friends says hella... but only in conjunction with annoying as in hella annoying and i think its b/c he watches too much standup...

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

correction... you can never watch too much standup. i should have said he watches an excessive amount of standup. as in lots and lots and lots and lots and lots.

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

From what I've seen, hella is used on the West Coast. Here in the mid-Atlantic, we say "mad", and in New England, it's "wicked."

By Ratrace02 (Ratrace02) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

yeah it's 'mad' in New York! if you say anything else... you're just weird and people stare at you lol

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

hahah this is so great to hear... I've lived all over the place, but most importantly in southern California, Rhode Island, and Virginia during high school and I say "mad," "wicked," "hella," and "stoked" all the time... :) it's fun to remember where I picked all these random words up!

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

here we say "sick", "dank," "awesome," and "gnarly" in addition to all of the above here in South Cali.

By Fingercuffs2006 (Fingercuffs2006) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

My roommate says hella all of the time. We're both from Houston, and we go to college in Lubbock. I have never heard anyone say hella all the time like that in EITHER city. Weird.

By Karen182 (Karen182) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Stoked, awesome, gnarly, sick...never heard "dank" though, Pipette! And certainly never "wicked". My cousins up north say it ALL the time though. Or what's funnier, "hecka".

I'm in Santa Barbara, Cali.

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

yeah all of the above are in my vocab. other than dank... what exactly does that mean??

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

yeah all of the above are in my vocab. other than dank... what exactly does that mean??

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

"dank" is basically "cool"

generally used to describe the quality of shhhh...pot but it's difused into the general vocabulary of at least my high school and its neighboring high schools.

THe first time i heard it was in 10th grade.

funniest phrase i've ever heard is "dank shizzo."

by the way, it's not "cool" to say "dank" and if i ever hear you say it, I will go out of my way to make fun of you.

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

oh yea some more are "chill," "sweet," "wack ('man that was wack')," ...and I feel my level of english competency is hitting all-time lows with every minute I am taking to think of these phrases.

By Apricot (Apricot) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

I live in CA, so we say "hella" all the time, but I have a friend who moved to the East Coast, was disgusted by the frequent use of "wicked", and went on a one-woman mission to convert her school to the use of "hella". She succeeded.
I don't really care that much.
A lot of people say "fo shizzle" and "sick."

No one says "gnarly," "stoked," or "wicked."

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

here in phoenix, AZ we use tight, dank, sick, phat, hella, chill. No one uses wicked or mad but my friends from the east use those...

By Capy (Capy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:53 am: Edit

NorCal says hella

Don't even try that •••• down here in SoCal.

Karen- are you Xander's girlfriend? Weird question, I know.

By Bulldogg (Bulldogg) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:27 am: Edit

Xander as in Xander S. that goes to UCSD?

By Capy (Capy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

No- as in Xander who lives in SB where she lives. And is friends with her on livejournal and... has a girlfriend named Karen (I think)

By Daffyflower (Daffyflower) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

i've heard holla in NY

By Ivyleaguehopefu (Ivyleaguehopefu) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

hey, i was wondering, how large are the emails?

By Karen182 (Karen182) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Holy moly Capy...yeah, I am Xander's gf. It's a small world.

Question being, who are you? Katie Simon, apparently, but how do you know me/Xander?

By Karen182 (Karen182) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Oh wait...you sail with him, right? (I googled you :))

By Capy (Capy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Wow... cyberstalking is a beautiful, beautiful thing- and yeah that's me. Creepy.

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

A couple of boston kids came down to our school this spring and said 'wicked' every few words...it was 'hella funny.' (we're in norcal)

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Breathe, guys, breathe. ;-)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page