Not Harvard material?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Not Harvard material?
By Portlander (Portlander) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

There is this one girl at my school who is always, and I mean always, in competition with me. She says a ton of crap behind my back (for no reason at all), but I 've always let it go until recently.

You all must understand that we both are "Harvard-hopefuls". She was apparently telling some people that I don't have any chance because:
#1) I'm poor
#2) I don't know who my mother is.

Does it really matter if I come from a "different" family? All my life I thought that admission to Harvard required hard work, good application (rec, ec's essays, etc..) and passion. I guess the real question I want to ask is, will harvard look down upon my application because of my family life?

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

No.

By Eaglescout (Eaglescout) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

um...no. Do you realize that if they did do such a thing it would be discrimination?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

If anything, those sort of things would help you in the admissions process. That girl is just being a b----, which was probably exacerbated by this whole admissions process thing.

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

F@@@ her.. you dont have to take her crap. That kind of reaction shows that she's immature and lacks confidence

.. oh yea.. and best of luck

By S17 (S17) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

That girl's accusations are fallible. I personally applaud you for overcoming your circumstances and having the ambition to apply to Harvard. It takes a lot of guts for somebody from a disadvantaged background like you are. Congratulations on your accomplishments and good luck.

By Boxosox (Boxosox) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

ditto, she has issues with insecurity and immaturity. Your background alone makes you an interesting candidate which is a big plus in admissions. Also, her remarks about you not having a chance because you are poor and don't know who your mother is shows she doesn't know much about admissions anyways, so if anything, (granted i really don't know the girl) she's not really Harvard material. Congrats on your accomplishments and ambition, and best of luck to you on April 1st.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Portlander = flamebaiter!

As everyone else noted, your circumstances give you a leg up over everyone else.

By Mrcollegeexpert (Mrcollegeexpert) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Maybe throwing in how you walked uphill, both ways, to high school without shoes in cold and rain would help too.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

How about the story about the first night of high school and you realized that there would be too much homework to do in the daylight hours, so you had to cut a hole in the wall to let the light from the street feed in? :)

(Not trying to ridicule low-income applicants; in fact, it would be awesome to have a roommate who really did overcome such obstacles)

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Webhappy2~

Pardon me if I'm inquiring about something that is completely obvious, but how does Portland=flamebaiter? I thought a flamebaiter is one that makes comments that nobody agrees with for the sake of arguing...

By Mehere (Mehere) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Let me tell you this. from the admission books ive read and my frds who works for admission office at Dartmouth, having a family situation like you will DEFINITELY help with your admission. If you write about it in ur essay and tell them how well you dealt with it and grew up. that will increase your chance by a signiciant amount. why? it shows that you can take adversities in life and you can live on and overcome them. It also makes you more unique - harvard wants unique population.

Good luck, you will do well!

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Wow, there's a formal definition to the word flamebait/er? I was using it in a facetious manner...

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

haha...yep, there is a definition. I had to look it up, and to my surprise it was there...

By Portlander (Portlander) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Wow...thanks for the comments! It's great to know that I may benefit from my situation. ...w00t!

By Creon (Creon) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

I know I'm elicting the stereotypical outrage but-

Portlander, I hope get admitted to Harvard like Ceaser into Rome and then vindictively gloat about it.

What an absolutely low attack by the girl at your school.

You have my sympathy and well-wishing!

By Upandover (Upandover) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:49 am: Edit

i can't believe that there are still people like that around!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page