Information for Applicants from China

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Information for Applicants from China
By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:37 am: Edit

Several people have posed questions on CC or directly to me regarding applying from China. I'm no expert, but I thought I would pass on some useful information I've gleaned; hope it is of some help!

Every year anywhere from 0 and 6 kids get into Harvard from the P.R.C. (I believe this means actual Chinese citizens, however. U.S. citizens living abroad are put in an entirely different "group".). This isn't really a quota, but is mostly due to the fact that the majority of the hundreds of Chinese applicants cannot take the SATs; out of these, the ones accepted usually have other qualities that display excellence to the admissions office, such as International Olympiads and/or outstanding participation in extracurricular activities. Fluency in English as demonstrated by essays and the interview is of course a prerequisite.

My Harvard alumni interviewer was actually telling me about the difficulties of accepting qualified Chinese kids because of their inability to take the SAT. :( This is due to both ETS and the Chinese government, and is very unfortunate. He told me that if the SATs were available, top schools would likely accept around 40% more kids from China. One alum said Harvard could raise the quality of its incoming class by filling it with just students from Shanghai!

Well, that's about it; good luck you guys! :)

By Phoenixin (Phoenixin) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Hi there, thank you for your information. as far as i know, in recent years, they admit one actual Chinese each year on average. They all have SAT or GRE.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

That's kind of sucky. Why can't you take the SAT in China actually?

By Mrcollegeexpert (Mrcollegeexpert) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

The SAT is in Taiwan - just swim over.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I'd like to see you set that swimming world record...

By Phoenixin (Phoenixin) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:46 am: Edit

if i set that world record, i'm afraid i don't have to take SAT to get into harvard or i won't go to harvard at all

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page