Decisions as early as march 22?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Decisions as early as march 22?
By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

I have heard a rumor that decisions will be available as early as march 22nd by phone. Has anyone else heard this?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

Isn't that today?
Well, you could always phone them up and ask. The decisions are supposed to be done (as in adcom meetings over) by March 22.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

if anyone has tried this, let us know (I know you will). Good luck today and on April 1.

By Blade409usa (Blade409usa) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

I received my EA deferral from Harvard a few days early. I don't remember how early...it was more than three days and less than a week. So it's possible!

By 123456789abcdef (123456789abcdef) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Blade409usa- did you receive your deferral through snail mail or thru email? I'm eager to know what Harvard's decided!!

By Jeyboddah (Jeyboddah) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Check the admitted student login on the admissions website.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Does that actually work?

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

doubt it

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/admitted/login.cgi

that's the admitted students site
for people who applied RD, try to see if you can log in.

By Eaglescout (Eaglescout) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

cant.....invalid PIN

By Blueberrypie (Blueberrypie) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Yours says invalid PIN? mine just says the username can't be found

By Hotziggadee (Hotziggadee) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

i can't log in either. same thing happened with the mit admitted students site, and what do you know i got rejected. anybody recognize a pattern? life is good

By Blueberrypie (Blueberrypie) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Hotziggadee - what did it say when you couldn't log in - the number doesn't work or the name can't be found?

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Hell, mine says Incorrect PIN. I assume this means that they haven't posted any of the RD decisions up yet, in which case I probably share the same last name as an already admitted student. Otherwise, they HAVE posted the decisions, but in that case, it should've been "User not found." So the former is probably the case.

By Hotziggadee (Hotziggadee) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

hey mine always says invalid pin and my friend's always says username not found....signify anything?

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

i guess it can tell you... because invalid pin means the password is wrong.. user not found means that the entered last name isnt on the admitted list.

wait a second.. eaglescout, is your last name very common? i think you may share the name of an admitted student, therefore your pword doesnt work

if you can find one person who applied RD with a rare last name and get that to say "invalid pin" that means it works

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

dang, this one is tricky

because you don't know if -if user name not found means not admitted or not

whereas invalid pin means same last name as someone else...

tricky

By Hotziggadee (Hotziggadee) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

hahaha that must be it....my last name is Chen hahaha and i thought there might be some chance after all... what a joke

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

i dont think it works....

otherwise someone would be able to get in with the pin and last name.. they dont change the pins when you are accepted or anything

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

it's like MIT all over again

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Anyone who got in EA...did they give you a new PIN?

By Hotziggadee (Hotziggadee) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

I sure hope this is not supposed to work. Or maybe we are all a whole bunch of rejected losers. No offense meant to you guys.

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

i earnestly do not think it works.. but i expect the same error message when april 1st comes nonetheless

By Idonno123 (Idonno123) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

the ivy league agreement is that none of the eight schools will release any decisions before the first of april, meaning you will not be able to find out until at the earliest april 1.

By Buckojack (Buckojack) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I went ahead and tried, and not to say that I think I will get in, I really don't think the username not found means anything. Someone should really get around to calling them. Just not me ;)

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

but there are always leaks to a system

By Blade409usa (Blade409usa) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

I checked my archives in my inbox...I received my deferral notice December 11, 2003, four days before the supposed notification date.

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

they announced that emails would be available on the 11th

By Hotziggadee (Hotziggadee) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

March 28th perhaps? just put me out of my misery please!!!!!!!

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Yeah, keep in mind that Harvard had almost 50% FEWER apps this year, which accounts for their earlier notification date. December 15th is not a date set in stone by any means (Cornell announced on the 10th, Penn on the 12th).

By Monkeyz (Monkeyz) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

so did anybody call yet?

By Purple_Fiish (Purple_Fiish) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Pipette wolf, where did you hear the rumor?
also, i think admitted students keep the same PIN, if i remember right. because in december, kids were saying they could access the admitted site with their regular PIN's.
mmm

ps just a rant, but kinda annoying how my mom's more nervous than i am. talk about pressure..

By Eaglescout (Eaglescout) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

CALM DOWN! If it says invalid pin, there is someone already accepted with the same name. If you have a name like Wang, Smith, Chen, Brown, Johnson, et cetera, there is a good chance there is another admit under that name. If it says something else, the former must not be true. And you just might have an uncommon last name like Fabriccioni.

Logic guys, c'mon logic :)

By Harvardjr (Harvardjr) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I just tried my last name at the log-in site (my little bro is applying) and it said "user not found." I am currently a student, so you guys' theory about sharing a last name with a current student can't be right. Don't know if this signifies anything, but it could be bad news for the "user not found" people.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

They meant sharing a name with someone admitted Early Action this year...of course your name wouldn't be in there.

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:52 pm: Edit

harvardjr, you are mistaken

we mean EA admits

oops.. sorry for the superfluous response

By Harvardjr (Harvardjr) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

oh i see. sorry for the false alarm, and good luck everyone

By Jmstnfrd08 (Jmstnfrd08) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

I think you guys are all trying to make something out of nothing. Just wait one more week!!!

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I heard this from my friend who I think...thought was on top of things in the insider admissions world. guess not i guess, I called today and the lady was very stern in saying that i had to wait until april 1st.

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

He was right about the stanford early admissions. He was able to call in about a week early to find out his decision.

By Boxosox (Boxosox) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

I believe logic would dictate that because Harvard has been in the admission business for quite some time now, they have become savy to the admitted students website trick and so will not add this year's admittence until they officially release their decisions. So i would conjecture that the invalid pin/wrong name message is a result of there not being ANY RD admitted students in the database and thus NO RD applicant's pin/name will work just yet... just a thought.

By Fprescott54 (Fprescott54) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I was an EA admit and they didn't "activate" the site until 12/12, the day after emails were sent out. I'm sure that HArvard has deactivated the logins of all applicants and will reactivate them on 4/1. The only time the admitted students webpage trick works is if you opt out of email decision, you can check the webpage after 4/1 but before you actually get your envelope.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Everyone, MIT's site had a leak that WORKED!

It was up the Friday the envelopes were mailed. MIT subsequently commented out the HTML form for a couple hours, before taking down the CGI back-end, leaving a 404. Since then, MIT's form has not been put back.

By 123456789abcdef (123456789abcdef) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

so...in english, that means what? ;-D

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

OMG GUYS!!! I got in!!!!! I could log in!!!! I sincerely hope this means I am admitted! I've wanted to go to Harvard ever since elementary school! My PIN WORKS!!!!! Hopefully this isn't a glitch and I got in!!! I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Amylase (Amylase) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

NOBODY CHECKS IT. STOP

If necessary, moderators please close this thread.

This is so depressing. DO something positive guys.

By Wannabedoc (Wannabedoc) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

for ea decisions, though initially the apps said you'd be notified on the 15th, the website said the 11th. i'm not sure when they changed it, but on the site it was stated correctly. i remember checking for the date the morning of the 11th and realizing that it was that day. but i wasnt that lucky with my adm decision. one more week!
and what pin are you guys talking about? i don't remember gettign a pin..

By Amylase (Amylase) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

Don't let the MIT scandal happend again!

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

Oh shoot I didn't take into consideration how this would make other people feel if their pins don't work. Well, don't worry about it guys I'm sure the PIN thing doesn't mean anything. They probably JUST started inputing the admitted student ID's into the database and are still in the process of finalizing decisons. If you cannot log in now, there is still a BIG hope that you will get in come April. Stay positive guys. I know a lot of you will get in!! This is collegeconfidential for goodness sakes.

By Wannabedoc (Wannabedoc) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

never mind, i found it. i have invalid pin. my last name is not too common. well i've never met someone with it, it's spelled different phonetically. good luck alL!

By Rebelnchic (Rebelnchic) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

Haha oh man guys. I hate reading these threads...they make me go crazy. I don't think this pin thing means anything at all.

By Buckojack (Buckojack) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

yeah thread makes me go crazy. I should stay off this damn sit until the 1st (heh not likely). Oh well, I'll probably keep believing these schemes about how to bypass when they announce the date, and going nuts just like you.

By Rebelnchic (Rebelnchic) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

Seriously, I know what you mean. Considering I shouldn't believe 85% of what I read on here (yeah, I know that's some fuzzy math) I certainly analyze what people put on here WAY too much.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

Yeah, but what about a last name like "Chen"? There must be at least a couple of us who got admitted...

Plus, deferreddude applied early, so maybe it's only because he was deferred first, so they input his data now

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

Yeah it's true. I'm hoping that I was one of the deferees who got in. Unfortunately, I am now feeling a growing pessism about the log in thing. Maybe it really doesnt mean anything at all and I'm getting my hopes up for nothing. Damn.....

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

I was deferred and sure as heck would like to be able to log in ;-)

Junior College for me!!

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

Actually I don't think this whole log-in business means anything. If I am the only dude who can log in so far, there must be some sort of server glitch. My stats are not as good as some of these people who are failing to log in. Hell I'm Asian-American and I'm a male. That should cancel out both my 1600 and my valedictorian status....thus making me an ordinary applicant. Plus I have no international awards or musical talent.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:07 am: Edit

Come one guys, let's not stress ourselves out.

Let's just wait till April 1st and see. Enjoys the rest of the 10 days.

Good luck every one.

God bless my fellas here on college confidential

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:13 am: Edit

Poster Lxg21918 recieved a likely letter from Harvard right? If that person cannot log in, then the rest of us have nothing to fear. So, Lxg21918, please do us all a favor and attempt to log into the admitted students site.

By Alex614 (Alex614) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:19 am: Edit

I got a likely letter, too, and I couldn't log in. It said user not found.

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:34 am: Edit

Thanks for that Alex. That means I can at least keep up some hope for the next ten days.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:53 am: Edit

Thanks Alex.

so now the rest of us can relaX

By Mav (Mav) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

i had an interview yesterday. why would they do that if decisions were made?

By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

i checked and i wasn't able to log in. i also saw the "user not found" message. i really think that they would be smart enough not to give accepted students access until after decisions were posted. i hope this puts some minds to ease. i know it's far easier said than done, but the best thing to do is relax if one can. if not, there are only nine more days of hand-wringing, eyebrow-furrowing, and general anxiety that everyone needs to get through. best of luck, all!

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Deferreddude and Alex - what letters do your last names start with?

By Kcg04 (Kcg04) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

By Monkeyz (Monkeyz) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

9 days.....still feels so damn long...

By Calimacala (Calimacala) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Oh god, the tension mounts... I couldn't log on (username not found) but Alex614, you've given me new hope!

Good luck everyone, and hang tight till 4/1.

By Blade409usa (Blade409usa) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

I think we have pretty much established that no one can log on and therefore, we should stop freaking.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

This thread is closed.

This thread is closed.

don't stress ourselves any longer.

Please leave this thread alone, and let it fall deep into archives.

Good luck every one

By Upandover (Upandover) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Amylase,

It's not 'stressing' anyone.. but making people all excited with antcipation. I sure as hell probably won't get in, but that doesn't put me off from joining the 'fun'. It is not depressing, but it adds to the excitement. You shouldn't put on that really negative attitude.

Come one guys, let's not stress ourselves out.
NOBODY CHECKS IT. STOP

If necessary, moderators please close this thread.

This is so depressing. DO something positive guys.

I know that you got rejected from MIT, but so did I. And you are younger than me too.

By Pipettewolf (Pipettewolf) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

I thought this was kinda fun. If you look at it with a light attitude, it actually helps to relieve the tension building up to april 1st.

Heheeh, I have known very many "qualified" students get rejected so I guess I've got it a little better in that I'm okay with rejection but it's still kinda funny how hysterical we are getting over a thread that you can choose not to look at......but....you.....can't.....help....it.....
hahaha

By Purple_Fiish (Purple_Fiish) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit

come on, we all love to torture ourselves.
isnt that why we applied to harvard
:D

ps there are actually humorous posts on this site (they are intended to be) i spent 15 minutes laughing over them with a friend..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page