Can I get into Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Can I get into Harvard?
By Ambitious203 (Ambitious203) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Hi, I am the son of two Middle Eastern immigrants and I attend a competitive high school in the state of New York, at which I am a junior. Although parts of this will be hypothetical, as I have not taken certain exams, the information through Junior year is accurate. I was wondering whether - if any of you would be kind enough to do so - you could assess my chances at Harvard and perhaps give me some tips on how to improve my chances.

SAT I: 1580
SAT II: Chem, Bio, Physics, French, American History, Writing; expecting 750-800 in these
GPA: 95

Freshman year: Biology, Honors English 9, Honors Geometry, French II, Spanish I, Global History; A in every class

Sophomore year (moved out of state): AP European History, Honors Chemistry, Honors English 10, Honors Algebra II, Honors French 3; A in every class; Clubs: Science Honor Society, Social Science Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society), French Honor Society; Recipient of "Outstanding Sophomore Social Science Student" award; 5 in Euro

Junior year (moved back): AP Chemistry, AP American History, AP Psychology, Honors Physics, Honors French 4, Honors English 11, Precalculus H; A in every class; Clubs: Math Club, Model UN, French Club, Political Discussion Group, Interact, Science Honor Society (I started this club) (I would like more continuity in terms of clubs from sophomore year to junior year, but, unfortunately, the only other honor society my school offers is NHS, in which only seniors are eligible for membership); anticipating 5's in these APs

Senior Year: AP Biology, AP Physics C, AP Calculus BC, AP Economics (macro and micro), AP French, AP Government, AP English; anticipating a GPA in the low 90s for senior year and 5's in these APs (or at least 5 out of 7); clubs will remain the same, but with the addition of NHS

Other interests: Piano (13 years, still studying, with participation in various state-sponsored audition evaluations), Varsity tennis, Service involvement (playing piano at nursing homes, various Interact-sponsored activities, and tutoring), Cardiology internship this year as well as other medical/research-related internships in the summer and throughout next year, will attend National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine this summer

I realize that this may seem weak in terms of extracurriculars and the rigor of my high school curriculum, and does have some holes in terms of how much of it is indeed hypothetical, but I hope that you will provide me with feedback as to whether or not I can get into Harvard with these attributes and how else I can improve my chances of doing so.

Thank you.

By Ambitious203 (Ambitious203) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Just some info I forgot to add:

- I write opinion pieces regularly for the school newspaper and will be seeking a position as an editor of some sort for next year.

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

I am serious about this - Harvard is a reach for EVERYONE - and I mean EVERYONE, I remember Northstarmom saying that even for legacies (!!!), Harvard is a reach.

Case in point: A girl was accepted at our school with a 94.3 GPA and a 1400 SAT (far below the self-selected "norm")... I mean, seriously, I truly believe for Harvard, as long as you have a solid academic background and supporting recommendations, there is no reason you should not have a chance - you have the academics, now it is the time to advocate just exactly WHY you want to go to Harvard in your applications...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page