I can't believe it.... i'm in

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: I can't believe it.... i'm in
By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

just... wow. i just got a likely letter from harvard. i didn't even know they sent likelies! i'm feeling completely inarticulate right now. i totally applied on whim after the yale deferral and now... well, yeah. again, this is i at probably my least eloquent point in time. do you know how many kids get these? i mean it has a note from the dean of admissions at the end! ahhhh! just had to let this out. thanks. sorry if i make about NO SENSE WHATSOEVER right now.

By Sac (Sac) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Congratulations! Yale's loss is Harvard's gain.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

I didn't know Harvard gave out likely letters? What did it say exactly?

By Abercrombie1509 (Abercrombie1509) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

What does the likely letter say?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Wow Lex, major congrats from your friend across the river... haha. I hope I'm as lucky. ;D

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Congratulations!! Not many kids at all get these; in fact you probably have the distinction of being the first CC kid to get one. The only other person I know who received one is Memememe's friend from RSI. What was Yale thinking?!

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

I totally thought this was bogus until I checked her PR stats page. Quite impressive...

By Memememe (Memememe) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

I never got a dean's note... :'(

By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

ha, well rob, i did get flat out denied at oxford. you beat me there! here's the whole long letter:

Dear Ms. ----,

I am delighted to report that the Admissions Committee has asked me to inform you that you are likely to be admitted to the Class of 2008. We anticipate that we will send you a formal letter of admission in April, assuming (as we do) that you will maintain your current academic and personal standards.

Each year, only a small number of outstanding applicants receive this early positive indication. We are of course eager to encourage you to choose Harvard. The opinion of the Admissions Committee is not merely that your accomplishments - academic, extracurricular, and personal - are impressive, but also that you would be a particularly good match for the opportunities and challenges you will find here. In short, we think you would flourish at Harvard.

Harvard's special strength comes from our distinguished faculty and extraordinarily talented students. The undergraduate college is the historic and physical center of the University in Cambridge. The liberal arts experience of our students is enriched by the scholarship and research of a world-renowned faculty deeply engaged in undergraduate teaching. With over one hundred Freshman Seminars, renowned small group tutorials in many of our more than forty fields of study, and with twenty or fewer students in nearly 750 of our 1040 courses, Harvard offers a highly personalized education. The academic resources at Harvard are remarkable by any standard. Our students enjoy the world's largest university library system (14 million volumes), "cutting-edge" scientific laboratories and thirteen university museums. The participation of undergraduates in faculty research is a hallmark of undergraduate education. Students also design their own research plans and work closely with faculty members on many projects of mutual interest.

Harvard's residential system provides a collegiate experience within a "University College." Freshmen live together in Harvard Yard, and upperclassmen belong to one of twelve residential Houses. Each House is led by a senior faculty Master, and includes faculty and scholarly associates in a community where the common life in the dining halls and library is complemented by House athletic competitions, drama, political, and musical events, and many other activities. College-wide extracurricular activities are for many students a major focus of commitment. Harvard has long valued musical performance, drama, journalism and public service, not to mention only a few of our nearly 300 student organizations. In addition, we offer forty-one intercollegiate sports, the largest number in the country.

Another special feature of Harvard is our location in the Boston area, one of the world's greatest centers of student and university life. Internships are readily available to all undergraduates in a wide variety of public and private organizations. Cambridge and Boston also offer superb musical, dramatic, and other cultural opportunities alongside the Boston Red Sox, the Celtics, the Bruins, the Patriots, and the Revolution.

Remarkably diverse in their achievments and backgrounds, Harvard students come from public, private and parochial school, from every state and many foreign countries. Lifelong friendships result from the close interaction students have in the residential Houses, and perhaps the most important part of your education will come from getting to know your fellow classmates. Admission is determined without regard to financial need, and seventy percent of our students receive financial aid.

We hope you will be able to visit Harvard for our April Visiting Program designed for admitted students or at another time. We very much look forward to seeing you in Cambridge.

Yours sincerely,

William R. Fitzsimmons
Dean of Admission and Financial Aid

seriously, the best part is the little handwritten note at the end. i mean all it says is "hope to see you here in september!" however, he's got endearingly awful handwriting. i'm really excited. i don't know what i'm going to do, though. i wrote yale a letter in january saying i would definitely matriculate, were i accepted. after being effectively ignored by their admissions office (tried to reach my rep for about a month to see what i should send... he never picked up or called back after i left him one message) and visiting harvard again, i don't think i really feel the same way anymore. i just never really thought this would happen. i thought i was going straight to the reject/waitlist pile. needless to say, i'm incredibly excited. thanks all of you! i just had to get this out somewhere. i can't tell people from my schools because after news of my receiving a dartmouth likely leaked out, a legacy who didn't get a letter totally flipped out. so i guess my family, my dogs, my best friend, and all of you people whom i don't know get to listen to me glow!

oh, and mememe, seriously, i would have much rather traded the note for a winter break free of essay writing and all of those app fees! i bet if you had applied regular, this letter would be going to you, too. hopefully i'll see you in the fall!

By Arc (Arc) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Lxg21918....what would you say made you stand out...apart from your test scores?
...oh btw...congrats!

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Congratulations! You truly do deserve it.

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

maybe seduction?

By Itziar (Itziar) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Congrats, Lxg21918! But may I ask how you know you're accepted in Columbia so soon? (From your friend in the office?)

Good luck to all of us (and with Harvard, we all need some luck!)! :)

By Emepops (Emepops) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

read this article I found on likley letters

Likely letters were created to allow Ivy League schools, which do not give out scholarships, to compete with scholarship universities for athletes, Beckett said.

An athlete who is pressured to accept a scholarship from another institution before receiving notice from Yale is almost certain to go with the sure thing and accept the scholarship, Beckett said.

If the University can send out a likely letter earlier in the year, the chances of Yale landing that recruit are much improved, he added.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Haha, Lex... wanna trade, Oxford for Harvard? ;P

By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

arc - to be honest, i STILL don't believe i got this. i really didn't think i had that special hook for which they were looking. i'm an all-around jane, which is what i thought got me deferred from yale. really, i run the gamut of politics, drama, science, and spanish culture.

for politics, i have worked as a campaign aide, have been an officer for junior state of america for three years, wrote one of my essays about politicking door-to-door, and told my interviewer bush jokes. i've also participated in mock supreme court hearings and actually was recognized by a supreme court justice for my participation in one. i don't think i mentioned that award on my app though... i think it was after i had already submitted it. may have mentioned it during my interview, though. regardless, meeting a justice was super neat.

for drama, i've been involved with cappies for three year and recieved regional recognition and had some reviews published in the washington post. i've also been active in my own school and won a couple of awards for acting.

for science, i've done pretty well at science fair, winning some awards from the navy, marine corps, office of naval research, raytheon, and some other places. i then used the money i won to fly to california and do some research on solar cells for a summer.

then, as far as spanish stuff goes, i do the obvious in school stuff, but i lived in spain for a year and was involved in this latin american dance piece that performed at the kennedy center (SOOO much fun).

finally, i've got the generic employment and volunteer bit. ha, now i feel like i'm totally bragging. i'm sorry if it sounds like i am. i dunno. i really enjoyed doing it all. i feel like i've done a lot of cool stuff, but i don't have a solid hook. maybe lovetheriver's right. i'm quite the seductress. harvard needs more cute girls and i'm sure i oozed sex appeal through the common app. *wink* that answer your question?

itziar - my best friend goes to columbia. the girl who lives in the room next to her works in the admissions office, so she has been checking up on my application status. it's been really nice of her. so yeah, i guess i've got my spies.

emepops - well, my idea of athletics is cosmic bowling. i used to swim, but after a water skiing injury, couldn't swim competitively. now i just teach little kids to do so!

rob - if you got in for PPE, i just might be willing to claim to be rob voigt. as it stands, cambridge, mass is looking pretty hot right now.

everyone - anyone want to advise me about what i should do with harvard and yale? withdraw yale app? anybody? anybody?

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Take Harvard. Yale messed up your school year, don't grace them with your presence.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

congrats Lxg21918

great relief huh? congrats again you deserve it, now enjoy the rest of your senior year! have fun.

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

i agree, screw yale.
if i were you, i'd write a letter to them telling them how you no long consider them your top choice (don't flat out say you don't want to go).

By Alv (Alv) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

Congrates. I also agree tell Yale you are not interested anymore. Remember you don't need it anymore.

By Smarty1600 (Smarty1600) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

CONGRATULATIONS! What an honor! Ha ha... you won't be stuck at UVA after all! Lucky duck..

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit

I wouldn't do anything until you actually receive that acceptance e-mail/letter on April 1st. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, and just wait it out (albeit with a much greater load lifted off your shoulders) and see where you end up getting in. THat way, you'll have all your options open when it's time to decide.

By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

thanks for all your help and kind wishes so far! i'm going to talk with my counselor about it on monday. while getting this letter from harvard in no way means i'll be bumped up to an acceptance from yale, on the offchance that does happen, i'm reasonably sure i would not choose navy over crimson at this point.

one of the biggest reasons that i applied to yale early was that it seemed to provide more individual attention and was friendlier than harvard. i don't believe that i deserve an acceptance to yale, and i respect their december decision. it's a great school and i would have been elated to have been accepted early, so i don't want anyone to think i'm yale-snubbing. the thing this does change is my view about the amount of personal attention that harvard gives. it's changed for the better. in every part of this whole process, they have been warmer and more welcoming than i had ever imagined they would be. at this point, there's something to be said for wanting to go to a place that wants you.

smarty - want to know what my mom's response was to this letter? "well, it's not UVA, but i suppose i would be willing to help out with tuition." she then just started talking about how nice it would be to keep up the family tradition, while my dad just stared at her as if she were crazy. THAT's how deep wahoo pride runs.

By Sac (Sac) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

I'd suggest doing nothing about Yale and just see what happens come April. Don't hold Yale's admissions office against them. If they see the error of their ways and admit you, the university may still appeal to you more than Harvard, just as it did last Fall when you picked your EA school. If you get the chance to choose between the two, visit them both again. After all, once you are a student at either place you will never have to deal with people in admissions again.

By Legallyblonde (Legallyblonde) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

If I got rejected by Harvard, am I going to miss a lot?

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

LXG

I think yale played a pratical joke on you.
the letter you got...was from yale. they just wanted to see how you would react under such circumstances. yale has been known for its dirty moves to test applicants (for the purpose of increasing yield rate, etc.)

sorry for the sad reality of things.

By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

lovetheriver - ha! i knew it. too good to be true. very impressive trick. they even mailed it from the right zipcode and not only does the letter have the "veritas" watermark, the envelope does as well. sneaky bums. i suppose i failed this test, then. shame they didn't just accept me in december. they wouldn't have to worry about my harvard infidelity, because i wouldn't have bothered applying! i suppose i'll just have to maintain a good sense of humor on april fool's day.

By Daintyponygal (Daintyponygal) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

wait - are you guys serious? is yale really that slimy????

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

They're not serious. If Yale did things like that, they would be completely shunned by the academic community and their rep would go down the toilet in a second... lol. Not to mention the lawsuits. ;/

By Daintyponygal (Daintyponygal) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:40 am: Edit

wow had me for a minute there.

since princeton hacked into the yale website two years ago i've become more hypervigilant of what those crazy ivies are up to.

and i'm ridiculously gullible.

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:32 am: Edit

LXG:

Much as I like Harvard, I want to second SAC's comments. Do not judge a college by its admissions office or the tour guide. Visit again if you can, talk to faculty and students, freshman deans, directors of undergraduate studies if you know what you would like to study, look at dorms, the surrounding city or town, etc... After you matriculate, you won't be dealing with tour guides or adcoms again.

By Midwestmother (Midwestmother) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:35 am: Edit

So, any one else get a likely letter? Just one on this board? Wow, it seems as if Harvard just sent a handful, then.

By Eediyn (Eediyn) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

LXG,

Yale made you wait, you should make them wait too. Don't take any action just yet.

By Rogerevans (Rogerevans) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 05:17 am: Edit

LXG, I have a Yale "admit" story that you might find interesting.

I have a friend who went to a "bad" public school and lived on the wrong side of the tracks in Parma, a town which was itself a working class suburb of Cleveland. His school had rarely, if ever, sent anyone to any Ivy. He had his heart set on Yale. He was ranked first in his class and his SAT's were excellent (although I don't know exactly what they were, they were certainly well over 1400).

He was thrilled when he was admitted to Yale in April and of course told his teachers, his guidance counselor, his girlfriend and all his friends. Three days later, Yale wrote and said they had made a "mistake" and mailed him the "wrong letter." Needless to say, he was bitterly crushed and extremely embarrassed and Yale lost out on a prospective alumnus who has gone on to some fame and a great fortune, serving for years on his alma mater's board of trustees, etc. It would seem that Yale could have lived with this guy, as he was certainly not so far out of range that it needed to break his heart.

Having said this, and despite being a Harvard Law grad (and admittedly someone who turned down Yale undergrad to go to Cornell and is happy for that choice), Yale is a great school. I would still make your decision based on all the factors that were important to you before the likely letter. I hope, though, that you end up in Cambridge. I can tell by the thoughtfulness and compassion in your posts that you would make a strong contribution to Harvard and would be a terrific classmate. I think Fitz sees something that Yale may have missed, and I congratulate Harvard for its discernment.

By Lxg21918 (Lxg21918) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

roger - that story is truly awful. yale definitely missed out on what sounds like a great person. i'm glad that he was so successful, though. sounds like he deserves it!

everyone - again, thank you all so much for your help. i've decided not to do anything rash at the moment. i'm going to try to visit the schools in which i am most interested in april. i'm blessed to already have a few truly great options and i really feel that i could be happy at any of them. even though i'm going to keep my options open, i'm leaning towards harvard after talking with more students, looking at and getting excited over some of the course offerings, and realizing that, on top of all the things going for harvard, boston has arguably the best music scene of any of the places i'd end up george clinton, bob dylan, the decemberists, liz phair, grandaddy, broken social scene, and preston of industry are all playing within the next two weeks and i'm quite jealous.

anyway, i feel almost embarrassed to have this problem and i've been trying to keep this all in perspective. i appreciate your putting up with the neurosis of this teenager. i'm going to do my best not to fret about this and enjoy the rest of senior year. there are too many books i've been meaning to read, songs i've been meaning to learn, friends with whom i've been meaning to catch up, and afternoons i've been wanting to spend with my dogs to get bent out of shape about this. hope you all have a great week!

By Ct04 (Ct04) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:35 am: Edit

Hey, I'm guessing from your posts that you're a dc native... nice to see SOMEONE from the area get in to hahvahd. congrats, and send some sympathy the way of the rest of us waiting for 5:00 PM, April 1st.

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Hey my acceptance letter had the same handwritten note on the bottom as LXG's "Hope to see you in september." Did everyones' day that?

By rallypoint on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

yeah, i think so

By ally on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

yep

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Yes. And the handwriting was a little messy.

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:22 am: Edit

mine was "hope you'll join us" ... like a cult... reminded me of the P.S. in the document in Heart of Darkness with the funny handwriting.

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:25 am: Edit

hope you'll join us is what mine said...in awful awful handwriting. Looked just like mine.

By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit

Yup "hope you'll join us" in 9-year-old scrawl.

By Sprite (Sprite) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

haha, yeah, same messy handwritten note. cornell engineering sent a likely letter but i'm no athlete.

By Tenniscraze (Tenniscraze) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Congrats LEX :) it's great to hear that you've got many options to choose from.. choose wisely yeah!

By Almostdead (Almostdead) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

hmm... you guys can scan in the little note and compare... some of my friends scanned in the signatures and compared and realized they were identical... printed by computer... with extreme verisimilitude.

congrats to all =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page