Anyone here transfer to harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Anyone here transfer to harvard?
By Northrams (Northrams) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I was wondering if anyone on this board transferred to harvard? Im planning to do so and i thought if anyone did they could offer some advice, espcially if you transferred from a 2 year school.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

I have never known anyone who transferred to Harvard from a two-year school.The few transfers that I met while I attended Harvard had transferred from excellent 4-year colleges, such as a student who transferred from Wellesley.

Have any students transferred from your CC to Harvard? That might be a good place to get info.

It is hard for me to imagine Harvard's taking a CC transfer student, no matter how stellar, because of the vast difference between the education that would go on at a CC and what exists at Harvard. I also would wonder whether Harvard would accept any of the CC credits. Perhaps you also could get good info on this by e-mailing Harvard.

By Neuroboy (Neuroboy) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

I applied for transfer to Harvard. I don't know what my chances are though.

By Northrams (Northrams) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

thanks for the feedback northstar. yeah they took a transfer from my cc last year on a full scholarship, and yale took a couple last year too, and cornell took like 9 or 10. i think the other ivys tok a couple too. im gonna ask one of my profs for the email of the guy who transferred to harvard, i was just wondering if anyone else that uses these boards has so i can get some variety of advice.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

If the transfer got a full scholarship, that would mean the transfer student was dirt poor (since Harvard's aid is all need-based), and being a dirt poor Harvard applicant is an enormous hook for admission. Harvard has a very tough time attracting qualified students who are very low income. By "qualified," I mean students with SAT scores of at least 1200, gpas of around 3.5 or higher in a solid academic curriculum.

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:03 am: Edit

Some one from our community college transferred to Harvard.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:06 am: Edit

Northstarmom, in the same vein, I know of a high schooler that takes a lot of CC classes. Would these be recognized and awarded as credit at an institution like Harvard?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:17 am: Edit

I am virtually positive that Harvard doesn't recognize community college classes as you are describing Candi1657. In addition, I think to get credit for college classes, students entering after h.s. have to get 5s on AP tests.
One could always, though, check on Harvard's admissions web page to find out.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page