Can I Get In?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Can I Get In?
By Kb2005 (Kb2005) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 03:03 am: Edit

I'm a junior from a small private school in Memphis, TN (parents from India)...what do you think?

Female
SAT - 1600 (on one test)
Writing - 800
Chemistry - 770
Math IIC - 760
GPA - 4.0 (unweighted)
Class Rank - 1/55

am taking all the AP classes my school offers, AP Calc BC and AP Physics as a jr.)

These are the ECs I consider most important...

teach children at afterschool math and reading center (since 7th grade), reserach internship, int'l club founder and president (sponsoring a school in India and bringing in a series of speakers - "education around the world"), newspaper editor, student council secretary, knowledge bowl, tennis #1 and capt. (been playing since i was 8), write for online newspaper, national history fair for 2 years (made a documentary on child labor), piano, all major honors societies (Cum Laude, NHS, Nat'l French HS, Mu Alpha Theta, Quill and Scroll, Who's Who etc.)

(I basically run my school) :)

I know my recs. will be outstanding b/c I have already had teachers tell me they WANT to write them for me :) and I've been featured in various local publications for my SAT score/awards etc.

Thank you!

By Northrams (Northrams) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

if you dont get in that means either a bunch of androids applied this year or the admissions committe had a bit too much to drink. im sure you know that already, but heres the confirmation ur looking for.
PS: it wont hurt to talk to the tennis team coach at harvard (it never hurts at any schools). a well placed word from a coach can put u above an otherwise equal candidate at most colleges.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

i'm originally from illinois, now studying in massachusetts but i've heard of lausanne collegiate, and i saw your project listed on the roster for national history day. i also read about lausanne collegiate kids in a local newspaper article, which NHD linked on its website.

-teach children at afterschool math and reading center (since 7th grade)
how many hours do you devote per day? how did your daily commitment change from year to year? did you consistently stick with this activity, meaning you did not halt it even for a month?

-research internship
how did you solidify your knowledge at the culmination of this internship? did you produce a project? did this project earn an award? school, local, state, or national level? how many hours per day did you devote to this internship? for how long?

-int'l club founder and president (sponsoring a school in India and bringing in a series of speakers - "education around the world")
is this a large scale project? is it known only by your school, or is it recognized in your town, city, county, state, in the US?

-newspaper editor, student council secretary, knowledge bowl
how many hours do you devote *each day* to each club? for how many years? how did your level of commitment change over the years? any awards on a school, local, state, or national scale?

-tennis #1 and capt. (been playing since i was 8)
are you nationally ranked? how many awards have you won? on a local, state, or national scale?
how many hours do you devote *each day* to tennis?
at what age did you start playing *competitively*? did you continue playing competitively without at all interrupting your routine?

-write for online newspaper
how many hours do you devote each day to this activity? for how many years? how did your level of commitment change over the years?

-national history fair for 2 years (made a documentary on child labor)
did you place at nationals? what was your *overall* rating? good, excellent, superior?

-piano
for how many years? any awards? if so, are they recognized on a school-wide, local, state, or national scale? how much time do you devote *per day* to piano? how did your level of commitment change over the years?

do you have additional awards? are they school, local, state, or national recognitions?

-how competitive is your school (not competitive, regular, competitive, highly competitive, most competitive) in terms of admission selectivity, quality of students, hardness in grading?
-did you take the most rigorous courseload offered at your school?
-did you take community college courses?
-are you curious? how so?
-what are your AP scores? how many of each score?

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

stop wasting everyone's time. you are not getting in.

By Hegemonhenenen (Hegemonhenenen) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Umm, the people on CC are not even close to being the harvard adcom... just make a conclusion for yourself;) based upon relative stats etc...
and there's always the delineating essay.

By Alv (Alv) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Good Luck! You got a good chance.

By Bobbyh (Bobbyh) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

can you get in? sure. will you get in? only the gods (and the adcoms) know that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page