What do you say? new difinition of HYPSM??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: What do you say? new difinition of HYPSM??
By Wei (Wei) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

new definition of HYPSM

H-Harvard/Bussiness/Law/Medicine
Y-Yale/Law
P-Penn/Business
S-Stanford/Business/Law/Engineering
M-MIT/Business/Engineering

What is your definition?

By Wei (Wei) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

in addition, Penn also has one of the best and first medical school including a teaching hospital in this country

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

An interesting theory but it won't catch on. Penn is a fine school...Princeton is better in more areas.
Moreover, Princeton is more selective and Penn loses far more applicants to Princeton than vice-versa.

By Austin316 (Austin316) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 05:22 am: Edit

Yeah, if you want to talk about Penn, just say you want to talk about Penn. Somehow making it the P in HYPS doesn't have any magic effect on it.

The other problem I have with your definition is that it reduces the schools to what you think their strong points are. In fact, you can't reduce each school to a few departments. You've got students there interested in wide ranges of things and to pretend that they aren't factored in, even though they are part of the schools, is very nearsighted. The sum of the law, medicine, business, and engineering programs is FAR less than the totality of each of the institutions you mention.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

WTF?! The "P" stands for Princeton not Penn State! Although I do agree that Penn is a fine public institution, I hardly think people would honestly think it is better than Princeton.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Also, since when did Penn state have a top business/medical school?

By Itsdakid2004 (Itsdakid2004) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Deferreddude, i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not....but Penn = University of Pennsylvania

By Rockstar (Rockstar) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

ahh when will people quit confusing Penn with Penn State? it's like calling Harvard Boston University! they are both fine institutions, but they are not to be interchanged! Penn = U Penn (philladelphia); Penn state = Penn state (university park).

By Memememe (Memememe) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:34 am: Edit

I believe HYPSM is about the top five schools in everyone's minds, not the top five best schools. In terms of brand name recognition, I'm afraid that Princeton beats Penn soundly. If it's a school that's confused with another school, obviously it doesn't have the same recognition as a school like Princeton which is never confused with Princeton Seminary or silliness like that.

H-Harvard/Bussiness/Law/Medicine

What about their science department? And their much-dreaded undergrad theoretical math program? What's bussiness?

Y-Yale/Law

You just reduced Yale to law. Congratulations. I'm sure Jodie Foster went to Yale for the law school.

P-Penn/Business

Seriously, Penn might almost reduce down to business because of Wharton's amazing reputation, but this is still ludicrous.

S-Stanford/Business/Law/Engineering

What about Stanford's famous Computer Science department? Do you just ignore humanities?

M-MIT/Business/Engineering

You also really ignore science. MIT would be more summarized by engineering and science, if you paid attention to what people major there.

And why do you post this on every board, like this is some kind of an amazing new idea?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:16 am: Edit

Princeton kicks Penn.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Yea, Wei, there is absolutely no contest between Princeton and Penn overall. Sorry. -.-

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page