Likely Letters

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Likely Letters
By Jgro (Jgro) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

I got a likely letter from Dartmouth today.

Does Harvard send out likely letters? If so does anyone know roughly when they come?

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

I've searched the backlog, and have concluded they don't.

I do not think a school with a high yield rate like Harvard would need to send out likely letters.

By Ivysearch (Ivysearch) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Yale sends them, why not Harvard?

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Like I said, Harvard's yield rate is pretty high. Yale sends them mostly to URMs, people from under represented areas, and athletes. They need to compete for those desirable applicants who would probably choose Harvard if accepted to both.

I could be totally wrong- however, if you look in the 2002-2003 archives there isn't much evidence.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

They do send them. However, they must send them to a very select few. I only know of one who got one, and he's an RSI alum. But he applied Early Action for MIT, which is absolutely foolish, considering that RSI alums have it in at MIT easy. Oh well, I think there will be up to 40 RSI alums accepted this spring... hopefully we can form a good class next year (assuming that I go too).

By Qwy (Qwy) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

Did you guy received a letter from College Board who requested the 2003 tax forms?

How do you explain this requst?

Why does Harvard bother asking College Board to collect one's tax forms if Harvard did not make decision to admit you? It may be a positive sign.

By Itziar (Itziar) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Both Harvard & Yale request this of all applicants. Since the finaid offices are separate from the admissions offices, the request through Collegeboard is unfortunately unrelated to one's status in the applicant pool. I'm not sure why they go through Collegeboard, though--maybe less paperwork for them?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page