Supplying new information for application

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Supplying new information for application
By Chrisq (Chrisq) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Is there any way to inform Harvard of new achievements that you feel might have some bearing on your admission decision? I will be attending the National Science Bowl with my school's team in May, but we didn't win our state competition until the application deadline had passed. It's not a huge deal, but I've been devoting a lot of time to it, and I would hate for it to go unrecognized if it could help.

By Polly (Polly) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

I was wondering exactly the same question..

By Boxosox (Boxosox) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Actually i think the adcom would love to hear about new achievements/accomplishments, Yale was saying(im assuming Harvard's philosophy is the same) that they encourage you to inform them of significant changes to your record. Maybe you could e-mail them or get your counselor to write up a nice letter.

By Polly (Polly) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

Thank you, Boxosox. I actually sent emails to those schools, informing some changes in my information. I have not gotten any replies, so I'm very nervous and wondering if they really read my email or not..

By Superbighead (Superbighead) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 05:58 am: Edit

i did so, too.
they didn't reply.

By Effyoo2 (Effyoo2) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Similar question: I got the Intel semifinalist thingy recently, and it seems like Intel contacts your colleges anyway. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and write Harvard a letter anyway?

I'll probably throw in some stuff about National Merit Finalist and recent Forensics tournaments too, I guess.

By Boxosox (Boxosox) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

It's a good idea to inform them but be careful not to annoy them with too many e-mails and letters, remember they got a lot of applications to go through. Effyoo2, if you're not sure whether or not Intel will contact them, i'd go ahead and write them a letter. Because this is probably the busiest time of the process for the admissions office, i wouldn't expect a response anytime soon. But i would think you would recieve some sort of generic "thank you for the information, your file has been updated" sort of thing, but who knows.

By Dumplings (Dumplings) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

What sort of letter would catch an admission counselor's interest?

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Letter?!?!?!, Why don't you just call? Dialing is much faster than writing a letter...

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

My advice is to send a letter. Your call would be a time drain on the adcom, requiring the adcom to write out the info and have it filed. Similarly, an e-mail would have to be printed out and filed.

A letter probably would be handled by clerical staff, who'd put it in your file for your adcom to see when reviewing your file at commtitee meetings.

For those who also have stupid sounding on-line names, as many teens do, or who use teenspeak in e-mails, a letter also gives a far more professional view of you.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

how about faxes? cuz letters take a lot of money from here....

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

"For those who also have stupid sounding on-line names, as many teens do, or who use teenspeak in e-mails, a letter also gives a far more professional view of you."

Can this really make a difference?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

The way I see it, your acceptance is basically contingent on the admissions committee's overall impression of you from your essays, interview, extracurriculars, and everything else in your application... since if you make the first 'academic' cut (good enough GPA SATs etc), you're pretty much in a league of people much like yourself aside from those personal and character factors.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Ooops... point I was gonna make with that, is yes... that probably makes a difference, Congresssenator. I would think they would print out a copy of your e-mail and stick it in your file... and if it's unprofessional or whatever you might not look so hot compared to the next guy.

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I ask because I realize my e-mail address sounds dull, boring, pretentious to most folks, but an adcom who has read my file would make an instantaneous connection to my passion.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page