Harvard asks for SAT scores at interview

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Harvard asks for SAT scores at interview
By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Anyone else notice this?

By Anduin (Anduin) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

I had to fill out a basic information sheet beforehand that included standardized test scores, but why does it matter? They're already on your application, so the adcom will see them regardless.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Yes. Harvard asks interviewers to do this, presumably so it's easy for the adcoms to look at the interview report and to make a quick check to see if the interviewer's ratings make sense. For instance, if an interviewer accidentally reverses the point system that Harvard uses, the interviewer could accidentally rank as very low on intellectual factors a valedictorian with a 1600 SAT.

Harvard asks interviewers to get the info toward the end of the interview so as not to give the student the erroneous idea that what counts most in the interview is stats.

Some local alumni schools committee have a stat sheet they have students fill out. All schools committees don't do this. Typically, the alumni interviewers have no info about the student except name, address, school, phone number, proposed major, and possibly an EC or 2.

By Bluebins (Bluebins) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

You see, this is what just doesn't make any sense to me:

"the interviewer could accidentally rank as very low on intellectual factors a valedictorian with a 1600 SAT."

The interviewer should assess a candidate's "intellectual factors", without relying on SAT scores to bolster (or lower) that opinion.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

You got it backwards... the point is for the adcoms to use the SAT score to correspond w/ the interviewer's notes. It's only on the sheet to make it more efficient for the adcoms.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

BTW, northstarmom, do you happen to live at the ski resort in North Tahoe? I'm going there again this Sun-Tues! I'll probably be at NorthStar for a day or two.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

The asking of scores really threw me off too...I've been on six interviews and Harvard's was the only one in which this occurred.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Webhappy,
Nope, I'm not in North Tahoe and have never heard of NorthStar before. I named myself after Frederick Douglass's newspaper, and hope that its name reflected.

By Awesome (Awesome) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Hehe, I knew that, Northstarmom! :)

By Polly (Polly) on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

I was asked too, but I said "I'll retake SATI this January" and didn't tell her. :p

By Chrisq (Chrisq) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Two things about my Harvard interview:

1) There was no discussion of SAT scores whatsoever. I got a 1600, darn.

2) At one point in the interview, he asked me if there was any other relevant info about college admissions for me to discuss. I answered by saying that I had already been admitted to Stanford SCEA. I've been leaning toward Stanford so far but I still want to see what my options are in April.

Will this information about Stanford make its way to the Harvard adcoms? If so, will it hurt me?

By Supapow (Supapow) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

hey chrisq

i used to go to the same school as you, but moved away in 6th grade

what a coincidence we meet here

i emailed you about quiz bowl a while back

i applied to stanford too(regular), so maybe we'll see each other

i live near san jose btw

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page