Could I get into Harvard or another Ivy?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Could I get into Harvard or another Ivy?
By Llamapyjamas (Llamapyjamas) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I'm currently a high school junior. I just got back my Jan SAT score of 1570 (800 V 770 M), and I let my asian mom guilt me into retaking it (crazy, I know). I haven't taken any SAT IIs yet, but my PSAT was a 234 (80 V 74 M 80 W), which should put me in good standing for national merit stuff.

I took three APs sophomore year (5 US Hist, 5 Comp Sci, 4 French Language), and I'm taking five APs this year (French Lit, English Lang, Bio, Calc BC, and Euro Hist). I'm also working towards an IB diploma.

My unweighted GPA is 4.0 out of 4.0, and my weighted (as of end of sophomore year) is 5.76 out of 6.0, and my rank (again, as of sophomore year) is 4/672.

My ECs should be extensive enough:
*Band- top band, section leader, all-area clarinetist, state solo and ensemble
*Full Orchestra- completely volunteer basis
*Psychology Club- 2 yr treasurer
*National French Honor Society- VP
*NHS
*Mu Alpha Theta
*Junior State of America
*Math UIL
*IB Student Organization

Last summer I earned 238 hours at a summer camp for kids with disabilities, and I attended a leadership camp for band where I did a low and high end ropes course. I've also organized Trick-Or-Treat for UNICEF campaigns that have raised hundreds of dollars.

By Mouse (Mouse) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

COULD you? Yep. You betcha. It's not the could but the will. Your stats are there. You're more than qualified. Now take your lottery ticket, stand in line with everyone else and cross your fingers. While waiting, think about your essays, recs, etc. and the non-numbers part and you might get a friendly letter from the ivys next April (or December). Good Luck :-)

By Llamapyjamas (Llamapyjamas) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

bump. I finally figured out what that was for. :)

By Nerdkiller (Nerdkiller) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Offensive post removed for name calling.
Moderator DoveofPeace

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page