Retaking SATs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Retaking SATs
By Curiousstudent (Curiousstudent) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

I posted this question in the Princeton thread but I also wanted your opinions.
I took the SATs for the second time and I got a 1540 (770 M 770 V). My question is: Should I retake them if I think I can improve it to a 1570? and Would it be looked down upon if I retook a 1540?
I want to apply to Ivy and Ivy-caliber schools?

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

I think to a 1570 is pointless. To a 1600 it might be worth it. I retook 1530 to 1590... now that I think about it, it was a bit brash. I just remember feeling disappointed w/ my 1530, so I almost immediately registered for the next SAT I. Didn't really have time to study for it, but I was pretty happy w/ my final result.

By Mouse (Mouse) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Good God no! After 1500 it's just luck, really. I mean I got a 1570 and three wrong. My friend who got a 1600 missed two (we took it on different days). In those terms it's a crapshoot and just plain PRESSURE to get EVERYTHING right to increase your score You shouldn't take the SAT Is more than three times (because then they think you are nutsy obsessive), and at the 1500s level you need no prep and probably would rather enjoy doing fun stuff with your time instead. In any case, over 1500, no one really cares about the third digit.

The ONLY reason I would try again at that level is if you ABSOLUTELY KNOW you can do better. For instance, maybe you had a small headache, a nasty mosquito bite or an unlevel desk that distracted you somewhat. I retook my IIC from a 770 because I was fried from my first two tests and because some desks were being moved upstairs during the last three minutes. I got an 800 no sweat the second time because I KNEW I could have answered more if I wasn't fried. Unless you are in the same boat, don't bother.

By Curiousstudent (Curiousstudent) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page