Meeting with an Admissions Officer

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Meeting with an Admissions Officer
By Netmet (Netmet) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

hi everyone..I'm a junior and I have already went on the tour/information session at Harvard and am planning to apply there EA next year. I am going up to Harvard for their debate tournament in a couple weeks and I was wondering if it would be beneficial to meet with an admissions officer or if they would even allow me to do that? If anyone has met with one at Harvard, or has any comments or advice about, please tell me! Thanks

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

I would strongly suggest it if you can. A friend of mine (and coincidentally, my debate partner as well) met with a regional rep when he visited earlier this year. No one can say for sure, but it probably helped in his admittance.

By Savedlatin (Savedlatin) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

I met with one, which was extremely beneficial. Find your regional rep on their site and try to line up him/her-- they get the first read on your app and basically vet you to the committee. Harvard Admissions may give you a hard time about it when you call, but namedrop the debate tournament and keep fighting until you get one. Meeting my regional rep was not only a great experience for me in terms of learning about Harvard, but also probably instrumental in my admission.

Best of luck with the tournament and at your interview.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Crnch and Savedlatin, thank you so much for both of your advice. I will definitely try to meet with my regional rep and hopefully it will help to get me in! thanks again

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

This is probably not the best time, however, to go about trying to schedule a meeting with your admissions officer as it is the regular decision reading season and they have to go through 17,000 applications and all. While I do not think it is not worth doing I think the timing is not very good and although I doubt that your admissions officer will have time to meet with you he will also probably be a little annoyed that you are taking up his time.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

good point..anyone else agree with chasgoose? because I certainly would not want to hamper my chance at admissions

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I doubt it will make that much of a difference either way. Unless you make an extremely good impression on the admissions officer he/she will not remember you come November/December when they make their decisions, especially given the fact that the admissions officer will have a hard enough time keeping track of the current applicants. I don't think you could lessen your chances at Harvard by meeting with this person (unless you are an obnoxious person) it's just that I don't think that it is going to help given the timing.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Unfortunately, I don't think that Harvard adcoms do those kind of meetings any more. I think that the only students the adcoms meet with are ones that live abroad (and only a few of such applicants even get to meet with adcoms since the adcoms do only limited travel abroad).

By Pacman (Pacman) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

is it a good idea to email the Dean of admissions if you think your case is special?

Thanks.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:45 am: Edit

Sign up for an info session. Admissions officers run those and will take questions. A one-on-one is usually hard to arrange and out-of-question at this time of the year.

By Blade409usa (Blade409usa) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Filling out the application and writing a very strong essay is your best chance for admission. Honestly, if meeting with a rep outside of the applications process would help, then most people serious about attending Harvard would do it, and putting a lot of work load on the reps. It would make difference if you meet with one or not. To think that you are a special case out of the several thousands that apply, then you have a serious identity issue. Your best bet for admission is a strong essay displaying your uniqueness and of course your stats.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page