Can I get into Harvard EA Next Year? Tell me what you think!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Can I get into Harvard EA Next Year? Tell me what you think!
By Netmet (Netmet) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Hey- I'm a junior and am planning to apply to Harvard EA next year. I visited the school this summer and absolutely love the school and its location. I plan to major in government and participate in Parliamentary debate, where Harvard is one of the best college teams in the nation. So, here are my credentials, tell me what you think, a couple of the stats are speculated, but should turn out to be relatively accurate.

GPA: 96.3 unweighted, 97.8 weighted (top 10% of my class, thats my school's only way of ranking)
SAT: 730 Math 700 Verbal- 1430 total
SAT 2s: 770 Writing, 750 Math IC, 740 APAM History
AP Exams: Euro History-5 AM History-5 Stat-5, AP Lang and Composition- 4
AP Classes: those mentioned above, and next year AP government, economics, calc BC, physics C,English Literature, Spanish

Jobs: Summer Camp Counselor and Flag Football Referee
Volunteer work: Little League Baseball Coach (3 years), Youth President of a REACH Community Youth Agency Board of Directors(member of board of Directors for 4 years)
Extracurriculars:
1. Captain of Debate Team (4 years on the team)-(debate is something Im going to stress in my essays and am hoping will be a key part to getting me in) expanded my team, and founded national chapter of my team, getting my school to attend national tournaments for the first time in the school's history- coincidently one of these tournaments was at Harvard
2. Student Congress(possibly going to be Captain)(4 years on the team)- qualified for state competitions two years in a row, Placed first at interleague competition
3. Law Team (Mock-Trial) Captain(3 years on team)
4. Four Year Intern for a member of Congress/ Volunteer in his campaign Office as well
- throughout my essays I'm going to stress my interest in law and politics and I'm hoping HArvard sees that my activities are geared towards this area, since I really have a passion there.
Honors/Awards:
-member of national honor society
-member of Spanish Honor Society
-National Merit Scholarship Finalist(anticipated-got 223 from NY)
- received badge of Distinction from National Forensice League (has to do with accomplishments in debate and forensics)
-placed 2nd in NY State Lincoln Douglas Debate
-Placed 1st and 2nd in regional tournaments, as well as numerous other placings (LD Debate) and qualified for State Championships for the past two years
-Qualified for Student Congress state Championships the past two years, placing 1st at Interleague competitions

-no legacy or affirmative action or geographic advantage

- so please tell me if you think i have a realistic chance! thanks

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

You've got about as good a chance as anybody else applying to Harvard...

What I mean is, you're more than qualified enough to apply, but none of us can say if you'll get in or not.

Good luck!

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

BTW, 223 won't make you a finalist. The cutoff is usually around 220 +/- 3 every year.

You're an ok shot... you have nothing special to make you stand out in terms of EC's or grades or scores, so I would go for the essays and recs and do a good job on those, because those can help you get in.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

You're an ok shot... you have nothing special to make you stand out in terms of EC's or grades or scores, so I would go for the essays and recs and do a good job on those, because those can help you get in.

National merit Finalist and half you honor societies mean nothing to Harvard. Your debate ec's are good though. Be sure to use this summer well.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

first-regarding the 223, the cutoff doesn't usually fluctuate more than 2 pts and last year in NY it was 218, so it would have to go up 6 points for me to be cut off. Regarding honor societies, I know it doesn't mean anything, but I'm still going to put it down--really the debate stuff is what I want to stress..This summer I'm applying to Telluride (TASP), but if I dont get in, do you have any other suggestions for me given that I have an interest in polysci/law? (meaning I'm not interested in Intel, science research,etc)..and thanks for the advice so far everyone, I appreciate it, if anyone else can offer me my chances and advice, id appreciate it

By Allibug (Allibug) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Have you looked into being a senate or house page in Washington? I know two people who have done that and absolutely loved it.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Allibug, I actually intern for a Congressman and have never heard of a page before. But, with your suggestion I did some research and am considering applying. Thanks so much. Was it very hard for them to get in, since there are only 30 for the senate and 70 something for the house? and did it help them for college at all(although this is not my prime motive for having an interest)?....also, if any1 else wants to comment on my chances for harvard, that would help-thanks

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

i think that the cutoff score wouldn't be too reliable bc the number of people taking the psat's dramatically increases every year. Plus, when becoming a finalist, so much more is taken into consideration than just your psat scores. you have to write an essay and have recs and show your grades for every single term of the first 3 years of high school. having said that, 90% of semifinalists become finalists, so if you are in the top 1% of psat scores (and thus a semifinalist), then you will probably be a finalist.

By Netmet (Netmet) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

Scarletgirl, first,possibly being a national merit finalist was not intended to be a big part of my descirption, as noted by its parenthetical notation..However, actually contrary to what you say, the cutoff score is very reliable. Year after Year, it is extremely rare that the cutoff score differs from more than 2 points, let alone 5 points. There are numerous threads on this website, likely in the SAT/ACT section, that confirm this as well. Regarding your claim, that there is "so much more taken into consideration" to become a finalist is also a little inaccurate. You even say that if you're in the top 1% you will probably be a finalist. Yes, they do look at GPA and suspensions, but basically if you have above a 90 and have not gotten in trouble, you're in. The essay you are talking about is written to decide if you are distinguished as a "scholar", but is not used to distinguish you as a finalist. So, I just wanted to clarify that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page