Blacks Admitted to Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Blacks Admitted to Harvard
By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Any blacks out there admitted to Harvard? If so please post your stats. I notice how on the AA threads hypothetical situations are made up of blacks with 1200s and 3.4s getting into Harvard, but I know it's not that easy.

By Ratrace02 (Ratrace02) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Hmmm stats....

SAT I- 1520 (800 math 720 verbal)
SAT IIs- 760, 750, 720
Rank~ 6/395
GPA~ 4.8 (weighted)
Concertmistress (violin)
All-State Orchestra
Varsity Softball (co-captain of a state-ranked team)
Spanish Club -VP
Science Honor Society -VP
Math Team -VP
National Achievement Finalist

Yeah...another guy from my school (he's black) applied EA to Harvard too. He had a 1200 SAT and i think he's ranked in the 60s. He plays football and he's state ranked. He was deferred.

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:51 am: Edit

Thanks Race trace

Anyone else?

By Rhino (Rhino) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:15 am: Edit

Shsjonb- why are you race-baiting? You could ask the same question about children of major donors, great french horn players, etc. Instead, you focus on race. Pretty sad.

Face it, colleges use MULTIPLE criteria to select a class, and scores are not always the deciding factor.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Shejohn,
Why are you asking? Are you black and trying to discern what your chances might be or are you asking for some other reason?

By Bobbyh (Bobbyh) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

to ratrace-
the sad thing is that a lot of people will think you got in only cause youre black.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Bobbyh - Ratrace is obviously an awesome student. I think the difference is, being black he was probably pretty much a sure shot. If he were white, he'd be far from it; he'd be just another highly qualified candidate like everyone else.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Volgtrob,
You are generalizing too much. If a white student had ractrace's stats s had any of the following rare (for Harvard) characteristics, the student would have far better chances of getting in than would, for instance, a typical white or Asian student from a place like NYC:

first generation college; from a blue collar or low income family; from a square state like North Dakota; from a rural background, from an low performing school; from a school that hasn't sent anyone to Harvard; is from a Cambridge, Mass. public school (Harvard feels a special obligation to recruit there); is a celebrity/multimillionaire's childl; has overcome major hardship such as homelessness or having a major disability.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Northstarmom: Maybe I was not articulate enough. What I meant to say was that if she were one of the many typical white/asian students, she'd be just another highly qualified candidate. I understand that there are many other possibilities for 'hooks' or rare attributes that Harvard wants, but you didn't respond to my point, which was that with her stats, being a URM made her acceptance almost assured. Obviously she deserves it, and as I said she is obviously an awesome student, but her race did have a significant impact on her admission. Again, that's not to say she could not have been admitted without it - she would probably rank very high in the applicant pool in general. But I find it very hard to imagine someone with her stats who is black being rejected, while a non-URM with her stats being rejected is commonplace.

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Northstarmom: Yes, I'm black and I'm trying to get a better idea of my chances at Harvard.

Rhino: Because I don't play the french horn and my parents don't give major donations to Harvard.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Shenob,
Take a look at this link, which, depending on what your stats are like, will give you an idea of what your odds may be like: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42808-2003Nov14.html

It's a Nov. Washington Post article about the competition for top African American students.

You also might get more forthcoming replies here if you said something about your own stats.

If, for instance, your stats are 1100 SATs, 1 AP, 3.0 average, you are not competitive for Ivies.

If you have 1450 SAT, several APs, a 3.5 unweighted, you are competitive, though, of course, are not a shoo in.

The bottom SATs that Harvard takes are about 1200. From what I can figure out, those would include some very disadvantaged people of all races, and probably would include some (definitely not all!) URMS, and star athletes and celebrity/huge donor (as in the millions) kids.

I met an African American student who got in with a 1250. She had done a couple of major unusual activities that she had been selected for from students across the country. These were activities that truly were honors, not the kind of "honors," that are open to anyone who pays for them.

She also was first generation college, came from an inner city school where no one had ever gone to an Ivy.

Another black Harvard student whom I know came from a highly educated (but non Ivy background), and probably had scores around 1450 or higher since he had been going to Duke's Talent Search program since he was in 7th grade, and that required a 7th grade SAT score of a minimum of about 1020. He graduated with high honors from a rigorous prep school.

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Northstarmom,

SAT 1400
GPA 3.6 Class Rank 27/360
SAT IIs 730 Average
I've taken 4 APs (4 on AP Chem Exam)
National Achievement Finalist 194 Index
Illinois State Scholar
State Ranked Saxophonist
Math Club Treasurer
Track and Field
Former McDonald's employee
Placed at state math comp.

I also wrote about my disadvantages in my app.
like not having a computer until the beginning of my senior year, and having to ride the bus for hours to get to and from school.

Do you think I'll stand a chance at Harvard w/ these stats? Do you think I'll get a National Achievement automatic $2500 scholarship?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

You have a chance at Harvard. I won't wager the odds, though, because one can never tell.

National Achievement is also something one can't tell. THe easiest Achievement scholarships to get are the ones that are tied in with colleges. For instance, you would automatically get the scholarship, even more, if you listed certain colleges as your first choice.

I think that these include places such as Howard, Florida A&M, University of Florida, Florida State, University of Oklahoma and possibly Arizona State and University of Arizona. All give great scholarships to Achievement finalists listing them as their first choice college.

None of the Ivies gives merit aid, which means none give Achievement Scholarships.

The other achievement scholarships are corporate funded and, I think probably tip toward students planning to major in business or engineering, the fields that tend to sponsor a lot of scholarships.

Somehow I don't think that riding the bus for hours to get to school or not having a computer until you were a senior ranks up there with students who were extremely disadvantaged such as not having food, shelter or parents. I truly doubt that the adcoms would cut you a break based on the privations that you described.

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:33 am: Edit

Thanks Northstarmom

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

I am a National Achievement finalist too. Good luck!

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

northstarmon, people who are actually achievement winners also receive a one-time $2500 scholarship available for use at any school. and, as a matter a fact, the program where member colleges gave money to national achievement finalists listing them as their first choice is over. colleges can of course set up their own individual programs for national achievement finalists, but you're best bet is to actually win.

By Itsdakid2004 (Itsdakid2004) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:40 am: Edit

from what i understand, member colleges are still giving money to national achievement finalists. its just the corporations that are no longer sponsoring the competition. at least that is what my letter stated.

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

Itsdakid:

What do you think about my chances? Didn't you get into Harvard?

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

The National Achievement competition sent me a letter saying that the colleges are no longer sponsoring the competition. Hence the increase in winners this year. However, I think that the National Merit competition still has college sponsors. Of course, the national merit people haven't chosen their finalists yet, so maybe if i get chosen i will get another letter to the same effect.

By Silmanixe (Silmanixe) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

"only 40 percent of blacks and 34 percent of Hispanics attend college, compared with 46 percent of whites" WOW! 6%! That is a HUGE difference!!!

By Itsdakid2004 (Itsdakid2004) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

and your point is...?

the topic of this thread is "Blacks Admitted to Harvard," so your dubious statistics (btw, who are you quoting?) are irrelevant. Harvard is 60% white and 7% black (WOW! a 53% difference!), and those are the only numbers that matter in this discussion.

so please come back when you have something valuable to say. until then, you can remain bitter that me and the other African-American acceptees on this board are going to Harvard.

Holla

By Silmanixe (Silmanixe) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Perhaps you misunderstood, I know the quote (from NorthStarMom's link) meant the percentage of black and white attendance rates from all colleges, not Harvard, and I'm sorry that it is not "relevant". I understand the need for diversity issues, and I'm not bitter but I do have a sarcastic view on things. Even though, I believe that acceptance should be based on qualification and not race( like the extremists, U of Mich.) but i didn't say you weren't a qualified candidate. I'm sorry if you were offended, but I only meant the quote jumped out to me, so don't be so hostile when I didn't mean anything by it.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

If anyone wants to see some black Harvard alum talking about what Harvard means to them, check this link, and click on the videos for Jerome and Louise. http://classes.harvard.edu/college/1973/

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

silmanixe, do your statistics include community colleges? in other words, is there an even distribution among higher tier colleges? And what's wrong with taking race into accoutn? we take place of birth and state of residence and gender to account to make a diverse pool. why not the very obvious factor of race?

By Silmanixe (Silmanixe) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

I don't know about community colleges.. it didn't say. I don't disagree with using race in mild accounts now that I think about it, but I'm influenced by many white/Asian friends who bust their butts all year and get rejected or deferred to their top schools sometimes with race as a factor. But diversity is important... *Sigh* what shall we do?

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

It's easy to speculate about how things could have gone...it's kind of unreasonable to say "I didn't get in bc" and name any one thing. A white person saying they got rejected bc they were white is like me saying I got rejected from a place bc of where I live. It's unreasonable, you can never understand the complexity and semirandomness of the college admissions process.

By Brownsugar (Brownsugar) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Re: The Washington Post Article.

I know Alice!! I met her when we visited Wash U for the Exploration weekend. Sorry, but I was a tad shocked to see that she had an article written about her. [sort of].

Carry on....

By Herotothemasses (Herotothemasses) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

itsdakid--u are totally right, silmanxie your words are inappropraite, and you can easily leave this board, there's no need for you

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page