Hey Cool

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Hey Cool
By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

I had a fantastic interview this morning, talked for a bit over an hour at a neutral coffee shop, haha. I felt like the interviewer got a really great impression of who I am overall - his questions sort of explored every crevasse of my interests and activities, haha. I also learned a lot about Harvard - mostly good, some bad - and am ever more encouraged to want to go. He also had mandated over the phone that I not dress formally, which was nice. He ended by saying that he thought I had a great deal to offer Harvard and he wished me a lot of luck on my app, etc... Overall, very satisfying, and I'm optimistic. :)

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

We want to know the dirt! What's bad! :o

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

Hahaha, true. This thread prolly won't get a lot of responses, it's not thrilling enough, haha. Donno why I posted it, just came home and did. I was feeling really satisfied and happy... guess I still am. It wasn't great like my Princeton one, where the interviewer basically flat out told me she thought I was awesome and should definitely be admitted (haha I guess I interview well)... it was a more fulfilling kind of great, where I sort of had this feeling based on what happened that he's going to write me a glowing reference that really reveals important things that my app missed, and I think it will help me a lot. It really makes me feel more confident about Harvard, tho most likely falsely, as if it were not a long shot... haha.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

By the way, regarding the Princeton one... DARN! I was deferred ED, haha. Shows the interviews don't help so much most of the time I guess. Or maybe it stopped me from getting rejected flat out. ;P

By Greatjorb (Greatjorb) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Where do you live Voigtrob? I noticed some exact words my interviewer used "neutral location" and espically not to dress formally. My interviewer was a man who lives here in Southeastern MA, his name was James Russell, a nice guy 40 years old, slight Irish brogue. I'm just wondering if we had the same interviewer.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Nope nope, I'm in Washington, DC, different place, different guy. It's possible they give the interviewers a list of guidelines, so a lot of things may be similar no matter where you are.

By Priglet (Priglet) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

hey voigtrob, i'm in the DC area...no one has sent me a letter about an interview for Princeton. Any advice? (I think I want one if it could help at all.)

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Unfortunately I don't know... my Princeton interviewer was a friend of a family friend, who heard I was applying ED from the family friend and contacted me directly. ;P
I think Ptown usually has the alumni committies assign applicants to different interviewers, then the interviewers call you and set up a time to interview... Generally I think they need to be done by late febuary, so maybe if you don't get a call in the next week or so call the admissions office and politely ask about it.

By Priglet (Priglet) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

thanx a lot for the advice--my two recs are from princeton grads, but they're not much into interviewing/alumni stuff, so i don't think i could ask. you're awesome at reassuring people--i've seen that in a bunch of posts. good luck with harvard!

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Haha, thanks... I try. ;P
Good luck for you too. ;)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page