So I was deferred...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: So I was deferred...
By Maverick7 (Maverick7) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:09 am: Edit

So I was deferred early, which is okay...but its 1 month later, and now I'm trying to figure out what I can do to boost my chances. What should I do?

I've yet to communicate to Harvard anything that's happened since my deferral. My interviewer recommended that I call the Admissions Office and either talk to Mr. Fitzsimmons or someone that looked at my application in order to find out which parts were "weak," but that was a month ago too. I didn't call them immediately after I was deferred because they were probably getting calls from other deferrees. Additionally, other things were on my mind at the time, namely, my school's 1100-person Model United Nations Conference of which I was in charge of organizing.

Despite being a month late, this is my tentative plan of action:
1. Finish finals this week, hopefully get As in my classes
2. Next week, follow up on my school's Mid-Year Report
3. Call Harvard Admissions and just flat-out talk to somebody there

Then it becomes a matter of emphasizing certain activities that I've recently accomplished, such as the MUN Conference, and activities that I plan to take up, such as joining the Spring Musical and registering for the AMC.

I'm just putting this out there. Any thoughts?

By Romaniangirl (Romaniangirl) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

i was deferred too. i am an international applicant-romanian. if you write the adcoms, the letter about your late activities, and if you have some awards, is it enough just enough to mention it, or you have to send a photocopy of the prize? its already a moth passed, and if i have to send the photocopy, i have to go to an official translation house, then to notarize it, it would take at leat one week, and then another one and a half, or even two before the intern. mail arrives to harvard.what is the advice?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

Maverick & Roman: Just send a letter updating them. No need to send copies of your awards.

By Maverick7 (Maverick7) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Thank you very much Northstarmom. But how do you feel about me or any other deferree simply calling Harvard Undergraduate Admissions and directly asking them how I can improve upon my application?

By Itziar (Itziar) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Northstarmom:

Do you think it would be frowned upon if we sent things in (provided they're all relevant and actually add to the app!), even though the deadline has passed? Thanks for any advice.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

You have nothing to lose by sending things in even though it's past the deadline.

As for whether to call, do what you think is best. My guess is that it's not a matter of your application's being weak but of there as always being an extremely strong field. I have seen outstanding candidates deferred and rejected for reasons I could not discern unless it was in the interests of trying to create a class reflecting all sorts of diversity.

For instance, some of the many outstanding bio or computer majors may be rejected to make room for outstanding philosophy or classics majors, which are rarer.

By Romaniangirl (Romaniangirl) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 04:42 am: Edit

i will be sending the letter updating them with my prize. fact is, i have been focused on literary activities all along- poetry. i won two international awards in literary contests-one mentioned, the other to be on the uptading letter.there is really a scarcity of resources for extracurriculars in romania- here people are more preocupied with "surviving" than creating resources for students. there are some romanian students at harvard and the majority made it through olympiads and academic work- impressive list of prizes at such contests.other resources -like the ones people in US talk about are really not to be found around here. so, in the trend, my list goes with these olympiads and the academics. i have also managed to publish a book of poetry -but haven't mentioned it in the application- i don't know why. i am definetly going to mention it on the updating letter, which i' ll send the very first day of the next week. i thought about sending another essay, but i do not know if that seems appropriate- i do not want to annoy them. however the deferral letter suggested more activities or honors, and did not mention sending writing samples. would sending an essay be advisable? and, by the way how much could count an award, even if it is international?

By Dizzyizzy75 (Dizzyizzy75) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

is it bad to call up the adcom and ask what exactly led you to the deferred pile?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page