Spectacular ECs...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Spectacular ECs...
By Quirkyperky (Quirkyperky) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

What is considered a spectacular ec for harvard?

I'm currently a District Governor of Key Club International, which basically means that I serve as the leader of 5 states. Also, there's about 20 of us in the nation. Would that be considered something spectacular on Harvard's terms?

By Mnm (Mnm) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

i think anything is spectacular if you show that it means a lot to you and you're not just doing it perfunctorily.

By Rogerevans (Rogerevans) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:05 am: Edit

"No" to district governorship. "Naive" to mnm--as in, it "means a lot to me" to play video games all day??

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

Mnm - I agree.

Rogerevans - People to whom video games "mean a lot" are not Harvard material. People to whom Student Council, Key Club, NHS - i.e., the business of making oneself productive and helping the community (NOT for a "SPECTACULAR!!!" resume, but for the sake of fulfilling one's promise and making this world a better place [cliche, but true]) ARE Harvard material.

Sorry about the convoluted post. You get the drift, though.

P.S. It's Harvard. I doubt anything seems spectacular to them, so why bother asking?

By Quirkyperky (Quirkyperky) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

hmm...i dunno. People talk about it a lot on this board so I decided to create a post about it. Anyways, thanks for the responses you guys!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:48 am: Edit

I would imagine that "spectacular" to Harvard would mean being an internationally famous child prodigy as Yo Yo Ma was when he applied.

Being head of a national youth organization would be a very nice EC, but probably still would not be regarded as "spectacular" since many top student officers -- including national and regional ones -- apply to Harvard. When it comes to holding offices, what one has accomplished in the position also would be very important. Lots of students hold impressive titles. Relatively few use their positions to accomplish major things that are unusual and have a big impact.

By May_1 (May_1) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:57 am: Edit

Knowing the hieraarchy of KEY Club in and out (former president who was groomed to become LtG but opted not to), I'd say that in itself, being District Governor is an impressive EC. However, to Harvard, impressive would most likely be being an international trustee or the international president.

By Libsters (Libsters) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

And you also have to remember that not all schools have Key Clubs ...

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

how about representing one's home country (ie Canada) in international sciences and math competitions... would that be a big help or just a small one?

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

My theory is, I've done what I've wanted to do, if Harvard doesn't like it, I give them a slightly dissappointed meh (meh=statement of apathy). Now, of course it would be great to get into Harvard and I'm working towards getting in, but hey, you've got to have a social life. I've done my EC's- bowling, math team, editing a book about the history of my hometown, NHS, Student Government, little bit o' chess, but still, Saturdays, I hang out with my friends and play a little Starcraft or Half-Life. I'll just wait and see. That's my recommendation, do what makes you happy, and still let's you have a life, and let the chips fall where they may- have no regrets.

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Healthy attitude, Hunter. Any school that doesn't accept you doesn't deserve you. They don't know what they're missing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page