Is it possible to work while studying at Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Is it possible to work while studying at Harvard?
By Monkeyz (Monkeyz) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Is it possible to work while studying at Harvard? or is the work load so much that having a part-time job is just impossible...

By Almostdead (Almostdead) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

many people do hold part time jobs. having a work only means you can't slack off/waste time/etc as much as you'd like to.

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

your name does not hold much hope for the rest of us...

By Almostdead (Almostdead) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

No, see, the problem is, I came here with the "momentum" of having always taken the hardest science/math classes back in high school.. so i sort of wanted to continue doing so and ended up stretching myself a bit. =P

By Allibug (Allibug) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

My really good friend at Harvard works 20-25 hours a week ... it's hard work, but he does it. You just have to be willing to sacrifice.

From what he's said, there are so many jobs available. He earns $10 an hour to enter information into a computer in the alumni office. He has to give up a little social time to work, but he's responsible for paying for his own education, so it's worth it.

By Christine01 (Christine01) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

I worked 12 hours a week all four years. Wasn't a problem, really. I did have flexible hours though, which helped (I was a User Assistant).

Christine

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

What's the minimum wage?

By Christine01 (Christine01) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

I think most on-campus jobs pay at least $9-10 an hour. I may be a little outdated on that...

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

I think 9-10 is closer to the maximum, but I could be wrong. I worked as a grad research asst and we paid undergrades $8.10/hr a few years ago, and I thought that was considered pretty good.

By Christine01 (Christine01) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Actually I would see that a little differently- working in a lab is a great training opportunity. I did a research assistant type thing for free, the compensation was getting my name on a publication that came out of my work there. I think that for on campus jobs which are almost purely for the cash with little training benefit, Harvard tends to pay more, but for jobs that also provide educational or growth experiences, the money can be less.

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Harvard work study jobs pay MUCH better than other schools. On the student job page, I didn't see a single job paying less than 8.90 an hour.
I'm a grad student with 2 jobs, and I am making almost twice as much at one job as what Cornell paid me. One of the jobs is a dud library job, the other is a fun who desiging web pages. I only work jobs with flexible hours...I never know what my schedule will be week to week and it is good to have a job that lets me move my hours around.

Work study here is the GOLDEN TICKET! I've had friends who were told "we think we will hire you, but if someone with work-study applies we will probably give the job to them."

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Then again, Cambridge costs twice as much to live in as Ithaca... ;)

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

ain't that the truth :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page