Post Acceptance

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Post Acceptance
By Sueah85lh (Sueah85lh) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

How far does your GPA have to slide for Harvard to rescind their o of a? What about dropping courses?

By Sueah85lh (Sueah85lh) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

I also heard that Early Action admits are more likely to be withdrawn because of senioritis than Early Decision admits. True?

By Sueah85lh (Sueah85lh) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Okay, too general. Here's my story. I got accepted EA and am doing how I usually do in school (As and Bs). Except my Calculus grade, that is. That's a 78%. If I don't get an A on my exam next week, that means Harvard will see a big fat C on my mid-year report. All my other classes are fine and my indicated major/interest is def.ly in the social sciences and humanities, so I'm thinking I shouldn't freak out. But still... it's a C. Why did I even take an AP class in MATH? I hate math.

-beating self up in Maryland (whoa it sounds like a radio callin name).

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I think C's in advanced math classes are given less "weight" than C's in other classes, because colleges recognize that math is one of the more abstract and harder subjects, and hard work and effort may not result in good grades like in other subjects such as the humanities. So, even if you get a C in AP Calc, as long as you keep up A's/B's in your other classes you may still be fine. I'm not 100% positive about this though, and they may put you on academic probation. However, I think it'll be the final grade that will count, and if you get a C now but pull it up to a B by year's end it'll become insignificant..

By Transferkid (Transferkid) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

That's never too good. You can try compensating it by getting A's in those other subjects instead, if you hate math!

By Maggie9000 (Maggie9000) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Michelle Hernandez told me, when I emailed her, that at Dartmouth, a early-decision admit had to drop to a 2.0 OR have a D or lower in any single class to be reconsidered. Even then, they were given the chance to explain. The moral is, don't really worry about it, Harvard is a club, if you are in, they really want you to stay in.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Sue - just curious what your stats were to get into Harvard EA with A's and B's? What was your hook?

By Sueah85lh (Sueah85lh) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

I think my hook was a couple of things. I like to read and write. A lot. I know it's the most overplayed essay topic next to the one about traveling and experiencing a new culture, but I think it worked for me because that's really who I am. Another hook was tutoring. I volunteer at this org that helps out immigrant kids. The next one may be TASP. In the words of a fellow TASPer, writing an essay about TASP felt like "whoring yourself," but TASP definitely gives you something to write about.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Sueah85lh, you were at TASP? Did you know Eddie Ramos?

By Dan202 (Dan202) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 05:41 am: Edit

My understanding is that you don't need to send in a mid-year report for schools you have been accepted to EA or ED. You only need to send a final transcript at the end of the year. Is my information correct?

By Sueah85lh (Sueah85lh) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Eddie was probably at UMichigan or Cornell. Make that actually. I was at Texas last summer, so I've only met TASPers from the UTexas program. (The telluride assoc holds four TASPs at three different universities each year: UMich, Cornell, and UT Austin.)

You're probably right about the mid-year report, but my school likes to send them anyway.

By Dumplings (Dumplings) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

what's TASP?

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Oh, ok. Yeah, Eddie was at the one in Cornell. Congratulations on your acceptance!

TASP stands for the Telluride ASsociate Summer Program I think? It's very prestigious, only about 32 kids get accepted to each of the three TASP camps? I was going to apply but I lost my application! *sob* but I went to Governor's School instead, so it's all cool.

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

NOTE TO EA ADMITS:

I checked. You do NOT have to send a mid-year report. However, you WILL have to send a "final school report."

By Sueah85lh (Sueah85lh) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

I heard a lot about the Governor's School program, but I have no idea what it is. Any websites/info to offer?

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:55 am: Edit

Governor's School vary by state. It's a program run by, well, the governor of a state, and the strength of the program depends on how much money the Governor is willing to fork over. Here in Pennsylvania it's pretty big, there's like 7 or 8 different schools for subjects like international affairs, international business, information technology, health care, agriculture, etc.

You go for 35 days and it usually takes place at a university (mine was at Penn State). Pretty fun, depending on the school there's anywhere from 50-150 kids in a school. Awesome experience overall...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page