Anyone accepted with a normal SAT score!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Anyone accepted with a normal SAT score!!!!!
By Newyorkcity2012 (Newyorkcity2012) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Everyone on these posts are incredibly smart. Was anyone accepted to Harvard with an SAT between 1350-1450. I'm talking about non-recruited kids, and kids without 50 generations of legacy. If so, talk about it, stats, EC's, Recs, you know the deal

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Of course there are... those are the kinds of kids who are way too busy to come here. Some ppl have done amazing things in their out-of-school time.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

1350-1450 is a normal SAT score? Your idea of normal disgusts me.

By Everet (Everet) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

You know the average SAT score is about 1000. If you think 1350-1450 is normal....

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 06:50 am: Edit

I understand what he's trying to say, he's not trying to be elitist, he's just trying to link up with people who's SAT scores were not phenomenally high. Looking at these boards, it seems like everyone receives a 1500+, which is kind of discouraging.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 06:53 am: Edit

According to US News and World Report the 25th percentile for Harvard is at 1400. So there's even people at Harvard with below a 1400. Granted, they probably cured cancer, but they didn't have astronomically high test scores.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

Yeah, people get into Harvard and other top schools with SATs in the 1300-1400 range, but they are nearly all recruited athletes or URMs. For everybody else, high 1400s-1600 seems to be the more realistic range.

By Newyorkcity2012 (Newyorkcity2012) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Sorry if I seem obnoxious, but I get depressed when everyone on these Ivy Boards have 1500+. I sure I could be there with them but my verbal score is too low. I have a 1400 (780 Math, 620 Verbal), hence the 1350-1450 Range I posted. Hopefully they don't keep me out of the Ivy league schools. I am also Indian American (URM????) Also, I am an Eagle Scout, with over 60 hrs of service to the BSA per month and 8 yrs of dedication. I have other awesome EC's, but does the Eagle Scout "add points on my SAT"

By Memememe (Memememe) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

Indian American is about as far away from URM as you can get.

Now, if you were American Indian that would be something.

By Happystudent (Happystudent) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

A kid at our school got in last year with a 1340. He's white and did play sports but was not recruited. He was ranked fourth and is very smart, but also normal. Also, my interviewer mentioned two of her former classmates who had under 1300 and have done exceptional at and after harvard. The admissions office wont let poorer SATs comprimise an otherwise strong app.

By Ellielieberman (Ellielieberman) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

I had 1270 and got in! But I am still wanting to go to Stanford. However both parents and two of my grandfathers graduated Harvard so there is obvious pressure!

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

what about a 1200 SAT? I'm having my interview this coming thrusday and not feeling to good because my SAT/ACT score is so low. (Low compared to the general applicant pool of Harvard)

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:40 am: Edit

Dude, if you have a reason to think you have a shot to get in (and you must to have paid the $60), just emphasize THAT REASON!

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:00 am: Edit

i had a fee waiver. I'm dirt poor. BTW my school is not known for sending kidds off to college. Last year only 40% of the graduating class attended college. Alot of my peers are applying to state schools.

My interviewer's name is Dr. Money and i have to go to a hospital see him.

Anyway, what questions should i ask him?

By Chica06 (Chica06) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

I am currently a sophomore at Harvard and I had a 1360.

By Hegemonhenenen (Hegemonhenenen) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

This is where your essay and interview count the most. Harvard (as with every competitive school) wants to see you have a niche/focus somewhere: that's what I know from the upperclasspeople at my school who got in (their scores were phenomenal and they were State/Nationally ranked in activities of their interest).
Newyorkcity2012 (Newyorkcity2012), I kinda sense what you mean (we may fall in a similar numeric category -- I've also lived in NY as well, now in midwest), but never lose hope;)

By Mouse (Mouse) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Newyorkcity2012, about the Eagle Scout, I'd say "yes" and "no." It's an excellent, nationally known distinction that will take you places, but from my own experience it helped little with the Ivys. I'm a Gold Award girl myself, and I have a 1570. I got deffered. I had a lottery ticket. I'd say it's part of the package, but not the end all and be all.
BTW, The Elks have a scholarship for Gold Award/Eagles

By Brownjohn2 (Brownjohn2) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

This post made my day. I have a 1510 (800 math, 710 verbal), but I consider myself a normal teenage girl, and therefore unlikely to get in. But this post makes me hopeful. I ranked in the top 5 of my class out of 280 or so from a top New Jersey public high school, have 3 SAT II in the 750 range, president of national honor society, student council officer, other clubs, 3 varsity sports, but not outstanding at any of them. No URM, no legacy, no connections whatsoever. I think my interview went well, but I also thought so with my Yale interview ED and I was rejected there. Does anyone want to give me your idea about my odds of getting in?

By Libsters (Libsters) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Haha Brownjohn2, I am in the same boat as you ... Same SAT's ... same SAT II average ... MA public HS, Yale EA ( Deferred, but deferred in Yale's case is like rejected ... ) ... president of one club, lots of involvement in two others, community service, you know, the normal stuff. I am also not a URM, a legacy, an athlete, or someone with connections ( although I am a first-generation American , speak another language fluently, etc. but that doesnt really matter ... ) Anyways, I am hoping there is a chance for people like us at Harvard = ) Good Luck ... Where else did you apply?

To reply to the original poster, yes, it does happen that someone with a 1350 - 1450 ish gets in, however they probably have to be a URM, athlete, legacy etc. OR show OUTSTANDING achievement in some area.

By Ivysearch (Ivysearch) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I know a recruited athlete that was accepted early with a SATI 1200, SATIIs in the 550-600 range. Unbelievable!!

By Brownjohn2 (Brownjohn2) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 09:22 am: Edit

Libsters - With 8 weeks to go, it's nice to have someone to commiserate (sp?) with. I'm also waiting to hear from Penn, Cornell, Tufts and Wash U. I got into Michigan. That's really it. Where else did you apply?

By Polly (Polly) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

Ellielieberman:

are you serious!? I have exactly the same SATI score, and I'm international.. I'm very assured. thanks.

By Sd_Dad (Sd_Dad) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

I just heard of one of S's friends who got in with at 1220 SAT I.

Oh yeah....he's a football player.

By Najy (Najy) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

i know someone who got into harvard with an 1150. but her UW was 4.0 and she came from a heavily dysfunctional/poor family...and a really good essay: she admissions lady said that after reading her essay, the aplicant looked like someone she would want to meet.

By Boxosox (Boxosox) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Yeah i wouldn't stress the SAT scores more than they're worth. I don't think they make or break an application, they're just one of MANY factors the admissions committee looks at when making a decision. It would be pointless stress over any one part of the application when its the sum of the parts that determine the result. A lot of people seem to try to evaluate their chances by comparing their list of numbers to people who were admitted. SATs are essentially a predictor of your performance in college, and just one of the factors at that, the most important factor is, of course, your transcript. Finally, the admission decisions are so unpredictable because they are very subjective; it all depends on what kind of class Harvard wants to put together, thats why many people 1500-1600 SAT scores are rejected and 1300-1400 get in. Just keep in mind that its you as a person as well as you as a student that they are interested in, it would be rather boring to have a freshman class full of 1500 SAT class presidents don't you think?

By Baggins (Baggins) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

What do you think my chances are if I score a 1270 on the SAT and am ranked #1 in my class. I go to a small school but it has been nationaly recognized because of a few outstanding students.

By Boxosox (Boxosox) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Well it all depends, A friend of mine had a 1290 SAT score ranked #2 in our class of 461 (our school is more toward the bottom rungs in terms of quality and has a severe paucity of college-bound students) got into Stanford EA. I have a 1350 and ranked #3 when i applied but was rejected from Stanford so... Now in my opinion he is very well qualified to go there (great EC's and Recs, essays well done) but i think the fact that he is African American gave him an edge. But to hear that

"By Happystudent (Happystudent) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit
A kid at our school got in last year with a 1340. He's white and did play sports but was not recruited. He was ranked fourth and is very smart, but also normal. Also, my interviewer mentioned two of her former classmates who had under 1300 and have done exceptional at and after harvard. The admissions office wont let poorer SATs comprimise an otherwise strong app."

gives me a little more confidence. I wouldn't worry too much about your SATs Baggins if the rest of your app is great, i think your #1 rank will certainly help you out- just remember than an exceptional acedemic record can make up for low test scores but high test scores cannot make up for a poor academic record. Good Luck to everyone!

By Myaplomb (Myaplomb) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

What about a perfect SAT score and first in class does anybody know the acceptance statistics for those. Is it like 50/50 or what?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

As near as I can tell, yeah, it's around 50/50.

For HYPSM schools, I would always worry about my SAT scores, no matter what anyone says.

I'd also worry about my GPA.

I'd also worry about my essays.

I'd also worry about my EC's.

I'd also worry about what off-the-wall **** my guidance counselor might say in an off-hand manner.

I'd also worry about my letters of recommendation.

And then I'd worry that I'd overlooked something to worry about.

You think I exaggerate? Read the admissions stats.
Read the archives from this board.

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

well we know who's a realist...

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

If you go by a school's "1600-reject" stats, that'll give you a good idea of the accept rate. I recall Stanford for example, had a 60% 1600 reject rate, the corollary of which suggests a 40% acceptance rate, which is double the normal acceptance right. And that's not even counting special tags like legacy, sports, URM, etc.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

TheDad is right on. That should be the creed of anyone seriously looking into an Ivy League school.

By Mdp308 (Mdp308) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

I'd hav to say i completely disagree with thedad. I think that kind of over-stressed worrying comes off in ur app and interview and that's not what theyre looking for. They want real people with different talents, not grade machines.

By Boxosox (Boxosox) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

i think Mdp308 is talking some sense, a lot of people come on these boards in a hopeful attempt to allay their fears about their real chances when in reality its impossible to predict, if 1250 SATs get in and 1600s get rejected, SATs arn't anywhere near valid predictors. The adcom looks at the applicant as a whole, they don't reduce them to a list of numbers and then rank them. There is no way anyone can answer whether someone has a chance with just their SAT score. If you completed an application that you feel best represents you, then you should feel confident that the adcom is seeing the real you, and only they can determine whether they want you or not. In the end, save for a small number or truly truly exceptional students, applying for Ivies boils down to a numbers game, your chance at one school is as good as any at the other schools, but the more you apply to the better your chances of getting into one. Try not to let stress take your eyes off the big picture. It would be beyond incredible to be accepted to any one of these schools, but if not, while a vast disappointment, it would not be the end of the world.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Mdp308, where in anything I said does it suggest that an applicant be nothing but a talentless grade machine?

Harvard is looking for grades + scores + talents + personality. As for scores in particular, the 25th percentile for Harvard is 1400 or a little higher.

They offer approximately 2,000 acceptances to obtain 1,600 matriculating students out of 20,000+ applicants. Of those 500 students accepted with sub-1400 scores, for starters, please subtract out recruited athletes, a few legacies, and a few talented URM's with good-but-not-great scores...how many spots are left? 100? 200? And how many applications do you think fit into that range? Say, 12,000? What does that make your odds, even if you are a "great kid with great talent and personality"? Just how great do those compensating talents have to be?

The second-worst mistake made by posters evaluating their chances on this board is the "scores are the most important thing" attitude.

The third-worst mistake made by posters on this board is the self-medicating denial of how important scores are.

I really really really suggest that you go back to archives from last April and read the results there for starters.

Oh...the worst-mistake? The prestige-focused "Ivy or Bust!" philosophy.

By Mdp308 (Mdp308) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

did u write a book on this or somethin

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

No, I'm a data junkie who has been on this board for a year and a half, has done total immersion on College Admissions in terms of reading, have worked at two colleges, have a spouse with a director-level job at UCLA that brings her into contact with admissions data, and have relationships with former admissions officers and alumni interviewers, including two for Harvard.

Plus I'm one of the hosts for college reps visiting the hs; Harvard was one of my reps and I got to meet with him before the session with the students, walk him back towards his car afterwards, etc., chatting all the way.

I can tell you that trying to figure out your chances for Harvard are an exercise in futility because it is a very chaotic fuzzy-logic kind of process because they get so *many* great applicants. However, statistically, there are certain things to bet on regarding the scores.

Fwiw, I'll be surprised if my D gets in and she has a 1580/3.9uw and great essays/recs and extreme commitment to her main EC, which she's been doing for 12 years. However, I've seen the competition. You simply don't count on Harvard unless you're an Intel finalist URM who is a varsity squash player.

Is anything absolute? No. As I said, based on published stats, Harvard will extend offers to about 500 students with scores under 1400. But these will be students who in some way stand out from a very talented pack of applicants or who help the college meet some of their goals, e.g., athletes and high-scoring URM's.

Northstarmom on this board is a Harvard alumni interviewer...if you really have the jones for Harvard, talk to her.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

I want to know if Harvard looks at your PSAT score. I'm in my sophmore year and I totally bombed my PSAT.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

Harvard doesn't care diddly about your PSAT scores.

Schools further down the ladder care if you're a National Merit Finalist but nobody will hold a crummy PSAT score against you...except maybe obsessive parents or a friend who needs to get a life.

By Memememe (Memememe) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

PSATs only matter when you're a junior anyways.

By Dave123 (Dave123) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

THE AVERAGE FOR IVY'S ARE MUCH LOWER THAN YOU SAY THEY ARE! 1450 is not the average.

Brown-1390 Stanford-1430
Columbia-1394 Swarthmore-1430
Cornell-1360-1370 Amherst- 1410
Dartmouth-1420
Penn-1410
Princeton-1450
Yale-1450
Harvard- 1480

Granted, there are exceptions. But jocks and legacies are the minority.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Dave, the discussion here is Harvard-specific. I'll cite the easiest data source at hand, PR's THE BEST 351 COLLEGES, data reflecting entering applicants for Fall 2003; due to demographic reasons, expect the numbers for all the top colleges to be a little uglier this year.

Interquartile (25th-75th percentile) SAT scores:

Math 700-790
Verbal 700-800

For the most part, the sub-1400 scores are going to be heavily athletes, URM's, first-generation college, exceptional accomplishments in one field or another.

By Smiliebunny (Smiliebunny) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

whoa so 25% of the people do better than 1590??

And they say SATs are overrated...

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Best way to think of it is that SAT's get you in the room where the decision is made; you generally need something else to close the deal. The lower your SAT's, the more and better "something else" you need.

Being school newspaper editor and 1420 SAT's is likely to evoke a yawn, as in, "Not another one!"

Now, if you're 1350 first-generation to college, please move forward in the queue. Or any number of other circumstances that act as hooks. But just having 1350-1400 SAT's, good grades, and EC's that look like photocopies of everyone else's isn't going to cut it.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

What if you are 1350 first-generation to college in this country? I moved here from Pakistan when I was five and niether of my parents have been to college in the US. They both attended college tho.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

Smiliebunny, that does not mean that 25% of the people did better thana 1590. There are many applicants who apply with 800M, 700V or vice versa.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

"You simply don't count on Harvard unless you're an Intel finalist URM who is a varsity squash player."

I am an Intel finalist ORM who is a varstity bball player :P

By S17 (S17) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Varsity at the high school level is just another EC, but if you are being recruited AND an Intel finalist, you're in good shape.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 07:59 am: Edit

Does anyone know if Harvard will accept test scores from the old SAT from the class of 2006. If I can then I want to take an SAT class over the summer. I would have to give up Harvard SSP but I could then be able to go to a Leadership conference and Governers School as well as the SAT class.

By Manyzhka (Manyzhka) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Practically everobody here is talking about the combined Sats scores. But what would you suggest in the following situation : I have 700 Math - that is - it falls into Harvard's percents, but 620 Verbal, which is well below the average Harvard scores.
The point is that I'm an international student and English is not my first Language.
What do you think in this case???? I mean do they look at combined scores or do they look at subscores as well??
Besides, does the admission committe examines the scores on different sections of the Verbal SAT. For example I have 95% ranking for reading part, but other parts are low, so the final Verbal score is low. Do they care about the types of tasks you got your scores for?

By Mkappus (Mkappus) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

Manyzhka, they probably look at the math and verbal scores individually but I doubt they break it down further than that. Maybe they will take into account that English is your second language though. Good Luck!

By Daintyponygal (Daintyponygal) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

my friend got in EA and had an SAT score of 1470. she's not a legacy or a recruited athlete, nor did she "cure cancer." she's simply a genuinely smart and interesting person.

so i think we should all calm down a bit.

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Umm...
1470 is great. [isn't that above the Harvard average?]
I'm sure she had great recs and essays.
*shrugs*

By S17 (S17) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Yeah I don't think somebody being accepted with a 1470 should turn heads, that's a solid score.

By Daintyponygal (Daintyponygal) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

oh sure, i agree with you both - 1470 is a solid score.

it's just that you always hear people saying, "well, as long as you break 1500 you have a chance." i think most of us tend to overestimate the importance of having a 1500+ score.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

I agree. Especially when you look at all the people who were rejected/deferred with 1500+.

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Can someone please tell me what URM stands for?

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

URM: Underrepresented Minority

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

By christal collette on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:49 am: Edit

I was accepted to BYU idaho with an 870's sat score and i'm in the top two fifths of my class, I feel sat's are dumb.

By Aterashva (Aterashva) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

I just got accepted at Harvard.

1370 SAT's
730 verbal
640 math

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

are you and urm?

By rhinoceros on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

yes, yes im an urm, sort of

you see

im a homosexual

a gay homosexual

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

emm my question was intended for Aterashva...
lol

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

THEDAD: Tell me about life at Harvard. Academics, social life, how happy the students are, EVERYTHING.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

my friend got in with a 1280

By Spacecadet (Spacecadet) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

i got into Princeton with a 1290.

By Johnnydr87 (Johnnydr87) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

The reason why you guys with low SAT scores got in is because you guys have legacies. My brother got a 1500 even plus won several Physics and Chemistry olypiad competitions and still didn't get in

My sister recently got a Harvard medical school interview, but I don't think she got in.

Luckily both my bro and sis got scholarship at Wash U in st louis (ranked 7th in the nation, i think) so hopefully that will improve my chances at getting a scholarship there since that's the only way i would be able to get in and stay in.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

my friend who got in with a 1280 is not a legacy. However, he is a URM.

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

I got in with a 1400

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page