Northstarmom - How much did Harvard help you?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Northstarmom - How much did Harvard help you?
By Harpersbazaar (Harpersbazaar) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

I am just curious as to what you do for a living. You were a Harvard undergrad, then what? Also, do you feel you would've been just as successful had you not gone to Harvard?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Where I happen to live now, I would be more successful if I had gone to the local state university. I live far from the NE, and where I am, the state schools, which are second tier or worse, are what are respected. The state schools here have the large, influential alumni networks, not the Ivies.
I work as a consultant.
When I lived in other parts of the country, my Harvard degree and connections opened doors, but that's not the case here.
I don't think that where a person goes to college makes them. I think that college is an influential factor in determining what kind of a person one grows into. However, IMO, one can't predict that just because a college is an Ivy that a person will develop in a certain way.

I would be different if I hadn't gone to Harvard, but I can't say that I would have had a better or worse life if I had chosen a different school.

I think that people who choose Harvard just because they think that will guarantee them big bucks are making a mistake. If they have such a strong drive to be rich, IMO they'd probably be able to accomplish the same thing by by going to a much cheaper school.

By Harpersbazaar (Harpersbazaar) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

Thanks, Northstarmom!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page