Art History Majors?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Art History Majors?
By Brownjohn2 (Brownjohn2) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:25 am: Edit

Does the "History of Art and Architecture" major at Harvard give you the ability to take enough classes so that you can go right into a MArch program after graduation, similar to an Architecture major at another school, such as Yale?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

I don't know. It sounds like a good question to e-mail the head of the major about. if you're an applicant, also cc the admissions office so they put it in your file and realize that you're seriously interested in Harvard, not just blindly applying because it's prestigious.

By Brownjohn2 (Brownjohn2) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:06 am: Edit

bump

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

I cannot answer your question specifically and also advise contacting that department. My daughter is applying to college for an architecture major (pre-architecture, not five year BArch) and hopes to go on for the MArch. She looked at Harvard early on but as you say, they just have History of Architecture. Most other undergraduate programs have an architectural studies major that not only has history of architecture but also architectural design. The ones my daughter is applying to have those areas. She opted out of Harvard cause it is just history of architecture (she is interested in design and the Harvard major does not sound like pre-architecture). I suppose if you want to go into History of Architecture for grad school, this might do it but I have some doubts that the program at Harvard is akin to most undergraduate pre-architecture programs that allow you to go to grad school for just two years for the MArch degree. However, you CAN go to grad school for an MArch degree with NO prior undergraduate major in pre-architecture. But that MArch degree would take longer, around 3-4 years. That is what I advise you to find out for Harvard undergrad. My guess is you will want an undergrad pre-architecture major so that you can do the MArch degree in two years (this is often referred to as 4+2). If you want Ivy....and want PRE-architecture...you might want to try Yale, Brown, Penn as my daughter has for this (though she does not care if she goes Ivy or not).
Susan

By Brownjohn2 (Brownjohn2) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Soozie et al - Here's what my daughter found out, if anyone is interested. You are correct - the Harvard undergraduate program is mostly art history; however, during her junior year, she could apply to the Graduate School of Design and if accepted, take courses during her senior year at the grad school, which would eliminate one year of grad school. Therefore, she could get her MArch in 2 1/2 years (not quite a 4+2, but a 4 + 2.5). Any questions?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page