What does it take to get into harvard's grad school?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: What does it take to get into harvard's grad school?
By Kaos (Kaos) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

unfortunately, i didnt realize what it takes to get into a really good univ for my undergrad degree until too late into my high school career. i want to make sure i dont make the same mistake regarding grad school. i will be starting my undergrad degree at univ of michigan in fall '04, and i will probably major in biochem and maybe econ or business too. what do i need to do over the next 4 years aside from the obvious(lots of research, get my name into a couple published papers, good grades, etc) to get into a grad school along the lines of harvard's? thanks.

By Metz (Metz) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

It totally depends on the the grad school. Obviously you need to get good grades, but after that it depends.

For law school, it's pretty simple: Get good grades and do well on your LSAT. Those pretty much make up the entire admissions process.

For business school, it's more complicated. You want good grades (though they aren't as important as for law school), you have to do well on your GMAT, and you have to hold a good job for a few years after college and get good recs (as well as have good essays for your apps).

For medical school, you need to worry about a bazillion things which I won't even go into.

Your school will have a career service which will help you with grad school, so it's really no big deal.

By Abercrombie1509 (Abercrombie1509) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

Metz,

Would you be willing to go over with me the bazillion things you need to get into the medical school? We can correspond through e-mail or something. Let me know.

By Metz (Metz) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

I'm not an expert on medical school admissions, so I probably wouldn't be the best person to talk to.
What I do know:
There's the obvious stuff like getting amazing grades (and getting amazing grades in "pre-med" classes) and doing well on your MCATS.

But the extra stuff is:
Each med-school has certain required classes you need to take in college
Then you are going to want tons of volunteer hours at a hospital
Then you're going to want to do research
Then show committment to something big (some schools want it to be something medical, some don't care)
You're going to need amazing rec's from your school also, etc, etc.

I'm sure there's other stuff, but the best thing to do would be going to the admissions page of a med school to see some stuff. Also every college is going to have career advisors who can help prepare you for getting into med school (top med schools usually have around 5% acceptance rates so it's very importnat to learn every little thing that can help you).

By Sportgurl12 (Sportgurl12) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Metz

But what if you don't meet all the extra requrements like doing research would you lose any chances? When you say show commitment to something big what exactly do you mean by big? And also where did you get all this information from?

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Hey sportgurl, I would say do everything in your power to excel. Have stunning grades and a stunning resume. Only 50% of people applying to accredited medical schools get into any. That means 50% of people suddenly have to come up with a plan B. Don't take chances. Do everything.

By Sportgurl12 (Sportgurl12) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

hey scarletgirl, do you know if being in sports would be effective for someone trying to get into medical school?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page