Can a Canadian with 1460 get in? i know SATs isnt everything

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Can a Canadian with 1460 get in? i know SATs isnt everything
By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:01 am: Edit

well, i have 1460 and 800/790/660....my english marks are low, same with HS, my English mark is the only one i have below 90%... so do u guys think harvard cares about English alot? I took TOEFL and got 290/300 to prove my English is OK, but the test was a joke.. :(
anyhow, i have national and international science and math awards, would those make up for my lack of English skills?
if u r wondering which awards, just the usual Intel ISEF 4th place (part of Team CANADA), CMO (Canadian math olympiad), Candian Computing Contest 4th nationally, stuff like that...

alright, thx for any inpput

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

sure, but you gotta write a decent essay at least.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

more

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

What else have you got that makes you stand out?

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Harvard's website clearly says: "Canadians who do not have good English marks must score at least a 1574 to have a prayer of being admitted."

That was facetious.

If you want to go, apply. You're in the ballpark - that's all that should matter.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:03 am: Edit

darn, 1574? wow
all i got is tons and tons of national and international awards i guess.... i represented Canada in science fair, math competions, comp sci competitions... but 1574 is brutal, i dont know why colleges put so much enphesis on SATs... it's just one test, it doesnt show anything other than how much more and time one spent on prep courses

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Look up the word "facetious."

By Memememe (Memememe) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

Exactly how do you get a 1574?

By Galdamezra (Galdamezra) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

It was a joke, 1574 is not possible on the SAT, facetious-Playfully jocular; humorous.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:41 am: Edit

uh, i sorta noticed? lol
anyhow, what r my chances guys

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

i don't know what you're worried about. You have as good as shot as everyone else. International awards are a big deal bc then you're "special" even for a special school. As long as they have some substance behind them colleges take them very seriously. and as for marks, a few B's is really not going to kill you. I hope you wrote a super essay and had recs out of this world.

By Peacemakerv (Peacemakerv) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:46 am: Edit

hey, i got a question about the grades
here in Canada, 80% is an A and 90% is A+ and 100% is A++
i dont know how it works in the US, but i know 4.0 means an A??
but i've never had a B, i really have an A, all i have are A+....my average is 95%, which is way about our A, but when i converted, my GPA turned out to be 3.8, so i'm really confused

By Peacemakerv (Peacemakerv) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:47 am: Edit

sorry, i meant "rarely"

By Peacemakerv (Peacemakerv) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:47 am: Edit

and way "above"...not "about"... hard to type 6 in the morning

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

lol thenamek
its sad that this is a harvard post and no one picked up on that.

especially when you said it was facetious.

By Hegemonhenenen (Hegemonhenenen) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

ok I think we're going too far into the stats: A difference between an A and A- is not going to make or break you...

What makes you (and how you express yourself) counts a lot MORE (academics are still important, but minor discrepancies are usually overlooked)

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

true, but i just dont think it fair! lol

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:19 am: Edit

Peacemakeriv, those grades are below average for Harvard applicants. As an international student, you are competing against the best and the brightest from countries like India and China--we're talking people with perfect TOEFLs and high GPAs back in their country. Your 1460 is outstanding, but there are scores of hopeful high school students in America who score higher and find themselves reading a rejection letter months later. I highly recommend that you try, but don't get your hopes up...you may be disappointed. I wish you the best of luck, though! :)

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:20 pm: Edit

my avg is 96% in a gifted program... it's just my english mark that is 88, others are ok...

is that low?

and just on the side note, TOEFL is only used to determine if a person knows BASIC English. U'd know if u've taken it. Just because a Chinese or Indian student know English and gets perfect, doesnt mean they are getting admitted, because there are 300 million Americans who will easily get perfect if they studied just a little bit...

and 1460 is lowwwww compared to ppl at harvard

I'm kinda hoping my researching job at the university, my place in Canadian national teams, and my athletics will make me stand out, but I guess lots of ppl have this kind of stuff at harvard...

my hope is NOT up. I can pretty much get into any Canadian program I want, so Harvard is just a shot in the dark. My interviewer told me I was one of the best she'd ever interviewed and she said I am very qualified. But again, there are lots of qualified ppl, so...

Thx for the input-peace

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Funny - it seems that a lot of people hear that from interviewers.

By Celerystalksme (Celerystalksme) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

athletics? what sport? cuz even harvard will bend a little of you're a good athlete in one of the sports they care about!

you're canadian, right? do you play ice hockey? cuz i know some sub-par students that got into harvard on ice-hockey scholarships. they love their hockey club at harvard...one of their favs.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

nah, i live in the southern most point of Canada, no ice here...

i play bball and volleyball

By Memememe (Memememe) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

You Canadians. Are you treated as internationals or domestic? Seeing as Canada is basically a copy of the US... (this was a joke, you see)

By Dk1 (Dk1) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

i think we are "semi-international." Harvard try to keep us in low percentage at 3% or so a year but that still is relatively high compared to other countries.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

we r internationals when it comes to admissions and US Citizens when it comes to financial aid, very confusing... we dont even have the W-2 forms

By Geography (Geography) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

I know a 1390 that got into harvard last year. and you have better EC's than he did. he could write like a politician though. it'll come down to your essays dude.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

o i c
well, in that case, i better start working on my Canadian applications cuz my essays arent good at all...only 670 on writting here, so ... *hits himself*

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

bummpers

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page