Im really surprised...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Im really surprised...
By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:30 am: Edit

As I look at all these wonderful people with fabulous numbers, I truly wonder how they were deferred. Personally, I'm embarking on the college admissions process this year (I am a junior). In your guys' experiences, do you think Harvard accepts people that they like, an intangible quality of the applicant, rather than the numbers? This is what I concluded when I read all these posts of people being deferred and the words of great advice all of you left.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

They can only accept one out of every ten. People who apply to Harvard in general are already top-notch in stats, and all of them have super recs. So IMO, if you don't have a hook, they'll just choose the ones they get the best impression of, ie through essays.

By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Intangible quality? Pffff.... yeah, it's called your application sticks when they throw it against the wall.

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

No, it just means that the "stats" that people here are so interested in actually represent only a part of an individual's complete application. It's a little comical, then, when people who were "posting stats" before December 11 and subsequently got deferred start whining about the process being "ambiguous." A) Of course it is - do you really think Havard can take everybody? B) Or, more importantly, do you believe that admissions should be based on the numbers? I don't know what happened to that "ridiculous deferral" thread, but those posts proved how ludicrous these whiners can be.

Better yet, maybe Harvard should just forego the essays and teacher evaluations. Instead, they could have students rate them themselves, as they do on good ol' CC: "Dear Harvard, I have AWESOME essays, AMAZING recs, and STELLAR EC'S. OMG OMG. Thank you."

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Stats only prove you're qualified to do the work at Harvard. It's who you are as a person that really counts...and the only way they can see that is through insightfully written recommendations, and your own personal essay.

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

I assume that you were accepted.

By Mike28 (Mike28) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Here's my take on it-probably wrong, but then again it's jsut my opinion.

Imagine the kids applying to Harvard, easily some of the best and brightest in the nation. But what sets them apart from each other...Harvard probably gets thousands of students, all with 4.0 and 1500+ sat 1s. They can stick their hand in a stack of applications and pull one out after another.

Thats why hooks and essays are so important in my opinion, Harvard could admit a class of straight 1600's and 4.0s, but where's the variety in that, they could admit twice that number if they wanted to.

You have to be different to make yourself standout amongs thousand of other applicants, many with the same, or better scores. Harvard and other Ivies can sit around and pick up the carbon-copy 4.0 student all day long.

By Danjones1786 (Danjones1786) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

im my experienced, harvard has always been a mystery. they deffered a kid from my school a few years ago with 1600 SAT 800/760/750 SAT II, AP 5's across the board, editor in cheif of newspaper and literary magazine, 4 year varsity cross country and track....the list never ends. (he is now at columbia). the pattern has continued though with harvard. the truly excellent students from my school have usually been accepted at princeton or stanford or yale, but harvard seems to be elusive.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page