HYP admission trend

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: HYP admission trend
By Hypnosis (Hypnosis) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

If someone is accepted to Yale early, how good would their chances be at Harvard RD?

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

Stop collecting acceptance letters. I hate you.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

I hate to join in the bitterness, but... seriously.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

why would you do that? it's not a game, it's out future. as steffie said, stop collecting acceptance letters. it's greedy.
go to yale.

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

DUDE, if you got in ED to Yale, you can't go anywhere else, greedy bastard!

By Mulan (Mulan) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

yale is early action, unccholocalmayor,
but i am kinda wondering the same thing as hypnosis, at least somewhat,

do the ivys talk to each other and compare early decisions etc. simply to get a higher yield? i heard this today, and i'm puzzled at the idea of them comparing lists of hundreds ...

but it is a valid question, right? does anyone know if the ivys talk amongst themselves?

By Bunzbash (Bunzbash) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 04:10 am: Edit

I doubt that they talk. If you remember the Princeton v. Yale admissions scandal last year, it seems there are ways for schools to find out information, but that schools don't explicitly share such info. That's what they should do tho, I think. What if ivy league admissions took place in one building with reps from all the schools, and you ranked the schools you want to go to in order of preference and the reps made decisions together so everyone would end up happier? Then f*uckers like Hypnosis wouldn't go around collecting acceptance letters and pissing the world off for their own personal prestige.

By Bigblue04 (Bigblue04) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:23 am: Edit

Don't you guys wish you could give your friends your acceptance letters? Like "Hey Bob, I got into your dream school, Brown, but I don't want to go so here ya go," Last year, for instance, this girl got rejected from Stanford, which had been her dream since eighth grade, but she got into Harvard. Her best friend got rejected from Harvard, but into Stanford, her second choice.

The world would be a cooler place if adcoms remembered "sharing is caring."

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

Don't do it. Please, for our sakes; some of us do not have the priveledge of calling a college their home yet.

But to answer your question, pretty good. Our valedictorian last year applied early to Harvard, got in, then applied to Yale and got in. He chose Harvard, but who knows what senior he screwed out of a spot?

By Ceci (Ceci) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

I, for one, am accepted EA to Yale but will apply Harvard RD, and while I understand that I may be taking up a place that would have gone to somebody else, I really don't see why this is greedy. The whole point of EA is so that I can apply to other schools and compare financial packages. I doubt all the EA accepted applicants are going to apply just to that one school.

On the other hand, if you really deserve to get into a school, you will. Nobody can 'take up your spot' if you really desrve to get in. When somebody doesn't matriculate, somebody gets in from the waiting list. I just don't understand why everyone seems to think it's immoral to apply RD when you're accepted EA.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

Financial aid packages ought not to differ by more than two or three thousand dollars, since both Harvard and Yale calculate it from the same materials. I could see it if you were applying to Princeton, whose financial aid kicks ass, but unless you really got screwed over by Yale, I don't see the point in it.

There are plenty of people who deserve to get into a school that get rejected. Just look at the Yale EA acceptance thread and you'll see people with 1550/800/800/790s getting rejected. Why? Who knows? It's no secret the number of qualified applicants who "deserve" to get in are far greater from certain states than others, but those in other states will get in in the interest of maintaining "geographic diversity" even if they are underqualified compared to those in high density states. Many factors come into play in who gets in and who doesn't, and how qualified an applicant is/how deserving he is of the spot is not the deciding factor it should be.

When somebody doesn't matriculate, as long as that school still has the same yield rate they were expecting they will not let anyone in from the waitlist. Only if it dips below what they were expecting will they turn to the waitlist.

I mean, go ahead and apply RD to Harvard if you really think they'll give you a couple thousand more. Just remember there are some of us who still haven't gotten in.

By Hypnosis (Hypnosis) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

I'm sorry if I got anyone angry. But like Mulan said, I think it's a valid question. Thank you for your response Daggerlee. I agree with you Ceci, completely, and that's why I decided to apply after Yale. I just wanted to know that if someone's in at Y early, how would they fare at H RD? Sorry again guys.

By Ceci (Ceci) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

This is just personal, but for me, there is a local scholarship that offers 3 scholarships, one for Princeton, one for Harvard, and one for 'all others'. So obviously, the competition is largest for 'all others'. My chance for receiving the scholarship will be much greater if I go to Harvard, therefore money plays a large part here. And trust me when I say that I NEED that scholarship. While this may not be the case for everyone, I still don't think it's not fair to call someone 'greedy' just because they apply RD even when they are accepted EA.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

The valid question was whether or not Ivies talk among themselves, Hypnosis...;) Just clarifying. But if you do have a valid reason for applying to another school RD after getting accepted EA, go for it...I mean, maybe you realize now that you wouldn't be happy at all at Yale and really want to go to Harvard instead, or in Ceci's case you really need that scholarship.

But if you're applying just for the hell of it, as a way to say "I got accepted into Harvard Yale Princeton Stanford blah blah blah" then that's where it becomes immoral, in my opinion.

In the end, nobody can stop you from applying anywhere, everybody's case is different, and if you really feel you should, then go for it. I'm just asking for you to take a second and think about everyone who didn't get in early.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

No the Ivy adcoms do not talk amongthemselves to see who applied where and then to divvy up the students. Lots of people seem to think this happens, but it doesn't. They very proudly select students independently. They used to discuss financial aid packages together, but that stopped a couple of years ago.

I think that some people have assumed that the Ivies share applicant info because students may, for instance, get accepted to schools like Harvard while not getting accepted to Yale. This isn't, though, because an Ivy's adcoms will become upset because a student has applied to a rival Ivy.The strange admissions patterns happen because of the quirky way that admissions are done.

You have to remember that most Ivy applicants do qualify for admission. As a result, the adcoms focus on creating a very diverse class.

The overall composition of the class carries more weight than does an individual's stats. If Harvard has a shortage of applicants from the Pacific NW, an applicant from there with a 1450 SAT may be accepted while a bassoon playing NYC applicant with a 1580 SAT score may be rejected. Meanwhile, the NYC applicant may be accepted at another Ivy that needs a bassoon player.

Meanwhile, I think that people who were accepted EA and know they are definitely going to their EA school should have the courtesy to withdraw their other applications and not apply anywhere else. To me, it's a selfish waste of lots of people's time (adcoms, people who write recommendations, etc.) to apply to places in order simply to acquire admission letter trophies. I also think that it's an unkind thing to do to classmates who may truly wish to attend the schools that one is applying to only for conceited reasons.

When I hear that people doings this were accepted to my alma mater, Harvard, I feel sorry that my school bothered to select them.

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Northstarmom

Does living in the Boston area or going to high school in Boston or Cambridge make it easier to be accepted by Harvard?

By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

I just don't get it, Ceci. If you wanted that scholarship for Harvard, why the hell did you apply EA to Yale?

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Thank you Northstarmom, the practice of "collecting acceptance letters" is indeed very selfish and unkind to all of us who really wish to attend. Still, I guess these people have already applied. And, I'm sure they are going to get one of our spots.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

I know that Harvard is interested in attracting students from Cambridge public schools. Lots of students go to Harvard from Boston, but I think that the competition is particularly fierce because the area is very competitive and sophisticated about applying has lots of excellent schools, and there also are lots of legacies applying from the area.

By Sueah85lh (Sueah85lh) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Whoa ease off people... I get that you detest trophy collectors. I'm totally with you on that one. But comparing financial aid and taking some time to compare your school choices is a valid reason to apply RD even if you got accepted EA. You probably agree with: "don't apply for the prestige, pick the one that's right for you." Well figuring out the right one takes time. The EA acceptees did the same amount of work as you did filling out the apps and paying the crazy app fees. Let them have until April to choose the school they'd be happiest in. Personally, Finaid, visiting programs, and just good ole time to think it over don't seem like exorbitant demands.

By Anduin (Anduin) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Ah tell you whut, no one intrinsically "deserves" to get into HYPSM. I know that I didn't "deserve" to get into Yale EA (but I managed to do so anyhow), and that I do not "deserve" to get into Harvard, my close second choice, under RD.

Furthermore, I'll have you know that there is no spot in the Harvard class of 2008 with your name on it, regardless of whether Hypnosis or Ceci or I apply. Your bitterness depends on the almost certainly false assumption that the adcom will make a head-to-head decision between you and Ceci, or the equally baseless idea that you and Hypnosis have such similar qualities that Hypnosis and not you will be accepted to fulfill a certain quota. Whether you get into a school depends almost entirely you and the adcom, not on your fellow applicants.

I applied to Harvard RD because I really love the school, and because I chose Yale EA over Harvard EA by a hair's breadth. Even if the total packages differ by only a few thousand dollars, a few thousand dollars is nothing to sniff at, unless you're wealthy enough that you don't need financial aid. However, it is quite possible that someone could get two packages of approximately equal value, one of which is composed mostly of grants and the other of which is composed mostly of loans. What's in the package is sometimes just as important as how much the package is worth.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

You can't attack ppl for acquiring trophies if they already paid the fee to apply AND the students have already asked the GC + teachers to fill out the recs. Then we're wasting both the students' money and the teachers' + GC's time.

This happened to me with Princeton. If I could have obtained my money back, I would probably have stopped my app. But with so much effort already made, I don't see why I should NOT just finish up part 2 of my app and see if I get in.

By Planetbeing (Planetbeing) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Just because a person got into a selective school for early action and will still apply to another selective one for regular decision doesn't necessarily mean they are acquiring "admissions trophies." I think it's unreasonable to automatically assume that.

I completely agree with Sueah85lh. There are many valid reasons for applying to other colleges after being admitted early action. Financial aid and just plain deciding which college is right are both valid reasons. Personally, I really didn't see it as very financially responsible for me to take a trip to visit colleges before I have gotten into them, not to mention colleges that I probably don't have a shot at (Ivy League schools).

Now that I have gotten in, I think it'll be really irresponsible for me to just decide to go to my EA school without visiting it and then keeping my options open, or else I'd be taking a gamble.

And people who try to collect trophies aren't going to have much luck. With the crazy admissions situation, they're not likely to get into more than one such school. And when they do get rejected from those other schools, people will think that their early admission was just a fluke. Hah, they'd deserve it.

By Dan202 (Dan202) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

While HYPS may not discuss who their common applicants are, nevertheless my understanding is that they do share lists of whom they accepted early action/early decision in order to confirm that no one thwarted their rules and applied, for example, to two single early action schools. Therefore, for the poster accepted early action to Harvard, I would think that Yale and the other schools are aware of this. I also agree with those who believe trophy collecting is wrong, but that anyone accepted early action certainly has the legitimate right to apply elsewhere to compare financial aid and to buy time to explore their options more.

By Aparent4 (Aparent4) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Well, we know a student who was admitted EA to Harvard last year and RD to Yale. I am sure this student was not the only one. Agreed that the whole point of EA is for students to have the freedom to apply elsewhere RD. Students who applied EA did not get the "edge" they would have had if they had applied ED elsewhere, so as far as I'm concerned, they deserve to explore their options, especially if financial aid is an issue. I have no axe to grind, as my kids were both ED admits.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page