Exaggerations on Activity List

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Exaggerations on Activity List
By Jujubiscus (Jujubiscus) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Out of the four people who applied to Harvard EA from my school, one guy was accepted. I would have been thrilled for him, but I had seen his activity list and there was no doubt he exaggerated the amount of hours allocated to each extracurricular. Is he just going to get away with it??? Do a lot of harvard applicants exaggerate on their apps?

What are your thoughts? I see a lot of exceptional, amazing extracurriculars on everybody's stats, and that makes me wonder when harvard can distinguish between the true and the false. Harvard knows that it gets soo many strong applicants, does it even bother to question their applications? Hmm..

By Mrpool420 (Mrpool420) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

oh of course. I lied about half of my EC, (such as being on the varsity soccer team in 9th-12th grade, composing musical sonatas, being the president of habitat for humanity)and i was accepted into Harvard. the secret is that honest people never get far in this world. College admissions has gotten so competitive that you have to lie about yourself if you even want to be looked at. be careful though, dont lie about your SAT's. My buddy who is going to Princeton changed his grades. christmas break last year, he got his college counselor to give him all the school material, and of course the material was in an envelope with a seal on it that said "if the seal is broken, than the contents inside are void." But what my school does not take good care of is the extra roll of those seals. so my friend opened up the envelope, scanned the transript and digitally edited it using Adobe Photoshop 7. then he packaged it all up and used the extra seal that he stole. And now he is a freshman at princeton.

By Allibug (Allibug) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

"The secret is that honest people never get far in this world."

Hmm ... that's very interesting ... and sad. I hope someday you'll realize how very untrue your statement was ... nonetheless, good luck in all future endeavors, Mrpool.

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

jujubiscus, there is a difference between the stretching of hours your friend seems to have done and the blatant lying and deception described by mrpool. If the guy at Princeton ever got caught on this, he would be kicked out. Even if the truth was uncovered after he got his degree, it would be rescinded. Talk about shame. It's not worth the risk. And I know that personally, if I got into my dream school on the basis of lies, I would not feel any sort of satisfaction or pride.
I also have to wonder what kind of school gives the transcript to the student to mail to a college on his own...i'm guessing not a very honest one. Every day I hear something that makes me more and more disappointed in humanity. :) People are so disgusting. It's almost funny.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Mrpool420, stop wasting everyone's time with your nonsense.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Mrpool spouts bs, do not believe his lies.

MrPool has been banned.
Sheeprun
<moderator>

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

thank you, sheeprun

the entry about his friend dying was quite troubling at first. Is there any chance that it could be removed? It creates quite a shock when u first see it.

By Jujubiscus (Jujubiscus) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Hehe thanks guys.. I didn't believe him for a second. And just to put it out there, I'm a harvard EA applicant (deferred) who didn't stretch anything on any of my college apps. I agree with you, Scarletgirl, it just wouldn't feel right! Plus, if they find that one thing is false.. well that would just undermine the verity of the entire application. But I'm still wondering if fluffing the activity list or any part of the app is common among applicants.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Even if it is, it really shouldn't matter too much...at the level Harvard is at, just because someone does a few more hours a week of this or that isn't going to matter much, compared to everyone else in the pool. You'll find plenty of people with 300+ hours of community service who are deferred.

I still firmly believe that the basis of admits is whether they like your application holistically, whether it shows enough about you as a person that they want you. Stretching out your hours isn't going to matter much overall, IMO, and like you said, it can be risky.

By Rogerevans (Rogerevans) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

It is repugnant that anyone would lie on his or her application in an attempt to snooker the adcom and take a place away from an honest, better qualified candidate. I expect that can be ferreted out fairly easily (especially in the case of school-based EC's) and, if so, would be an applicant's death knell. More important, however, is the mendacity of the act itself.

By Eccentricity (Eccentricity) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Harvard RD....
If I am rejected because I am
honest and factually entering my data... then so be it. At least I have my integrity.

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

omg i cant believe what mrpool said...jeeeez thats terrible!....*rolls eyes* yes its true that competition has gotten hella high...but still..oh and btw mrpool, very smart to have mentioned to us that u LIED about half of ur EC's...

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

How many hours did he claim to devote to his EC's every week?

By Jujubiscus (Jujubiscus) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Very insightful messages.

Oh I don't remember his specifics, but I do recall he said he spent like, 3 hrs/wk in NHS, and started some school community service club....-> BS!

By Polly (Polly) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

I didn't really meant to lie, but I think I somehow overstated the hours/week and weeks/year also. I just wasn't sure how much I did, so...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page