Worth eating beans to send child to Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Worth eating beans to send child to Harvard?
By My3sons (My3sons) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

So, in the final analysis, is it worth eating beans for 4 years to send a child to Harvard? (Or child will eat beans for years after graduating from Harvard....one way or another, someone will eat beans..........!)

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

what!?

By Varr (Varr) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

hey I like beans!! lol Must be cus im Mexican

By Monkeyz (Monkeyz) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:51 pm: Edit

i'm lost

By My3sons (My3sons) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Sorry to be so obtuse: Is it worth the $$$ burden (loans, etc.) to send my child to Harvard?

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

definetly...they'll be able to pay it all back soon after anyway

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Why would you have to eat beans? Harvard gives aid up to the demonstrated level of financial need. Almost 50% of students are on scholarship. The average one is about $22 k a year. Some students are getting full aid.
Certainly most people will have to cut back to send a kid to an ivy, but I doubt if that would mean having to eat beans all of the time.
Also the loans that Harvard, Princeton and perhaps other Ivies include in their packages are extremely minimal and should't cause students to have to eat beans after graduation either.

I had a Harvard scholarship plus loans. Despite going to grad school after graduating from Harvard, and despite subsequently entering journalism, a relatively low paid profession, I had no problems paying back my Harvard loans. I even had periods of unemployment while paying back my laons -- on time.

For me, the Ivy educations was one of the best decisions and investments I ever made. I think it's important, though, to recognize that I am glad that I went there because there are few other places in which I could have had so many bright, intense, peers who were passionately involved in such a range of activities and interests.

If my measure of the value of a college education was how much $ I made after graduation, I would not feel that Harvard was a good investment for me. The people who make the most in our society are successful entrepreneures,investers, entertainers and sports figures. If big bucks was my goal, I would have been better off pursuing one of the options that I just listed.

If simply getting a degree in order to qualify for better employment is your student's goal, then I also think that spending $ for an Ivy or similar school would not be worth the sacrifices.

By Datadigit1 (Datadigit1) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

Really depends on what your child wants to do... if he/she want's to be a lawyer then the "brand name" might be a plus... other than that I don't think it will help much. If they want science ect although Harvard does some top research in terms of undergrad education you're probably better looking elsewhere as other (and less expensive) schools have better programs.

The questions seem to be a lot more about if the word "Harvard" on a CV is worth the extra money instead of asking what is the quality of the education. Harvard is no doubt a high quality school, but it certainly isn't top notch in every department so you really need to take a closer look at what you want to do and then decide if Harvard is right for that path. If it is and you want to spend the bucks then go for it, but if you find a better program elsewhere then for goodness sakes don't just go to some Ivy league school becuase you think the name will take you places... Despite the apparent preceptions on this forum (and that sometimes emulated in Hollywood movies) in the real world an Ivy League degree is no longer a free ticket to a life of a great job and riches... mabye 50 years ago but not now. Wake up, with the highly competative nature of college admisssions these days most of the top 20-30 schools in the nation all can boast student bodies of roughly equal quality. In the end you'll need to proove yourself with your own accomplishments, ideas, and opinons... that's what will really take you far, not the name on your degree.

Oh, and FYI just so you don't think I'm on here offering a negative aspect of Harvard for as a grudge... I was accepted there... I'm just trying to get people to get their heads out of the clouds and take a serious reality pill on all this Ivy League, and in particular Harvard, rubbish talk ;-)

By My3sons (My3sons) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

When I questioned whether it is worth the $$$ cost, I was focusing on the Harvard college experience itself (surrounded by passionate, capable, individualistic and motivated students)rather than the questionable future monetary rewards that are guaranteed to no one.

Clearly from the feedback, it is well worth the expense.

By Datadigit1 (Datadigit1) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Yes, it is but as I said you just want to make sure that the school in question is the best place for those studies since plenty of other schools are filled with students of the same caliber. If it is the best place for those studies then by all means go for it... but don't just choose a place because of the name.

By Brianktm (Brianktm) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:24 am: Edit

I would eat from Boston's garbage dump each day to go to Harvard.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page